Author Topic: Help please re: fluids and maintenance, just bought a 2008 model  (Read 1759 times)

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
 I'd like to buy the basic fluids, a premium oil, brake, clutch fluids, anti-freeze, etc. Model 1.4 i-DSI.
The literature that came with the car, says CASTROL all the way. Namely CASTROL SLX OW-30 fuel saver as the engine oil. Any recommendations?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Help please re: fluids and maintenance, just bought a 2008 model
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 05:55:08 PM »
Welcome. For a DSi, I would go for 5W-30. 0W-30 is fine for a low mileage engine but for an older engine, 5W-30 will give better protection. Castrol is ideal.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 07:09:45 PM »
Welcome. For a DSi, I would go for 5W-30. 0W-30 is fine for a low mileage engine but for an older engine, 5W-30 will give better protection. Castrol is ideal.

+1

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 09:20:04 PM »
culzean and Jocko could I just throw one thing into the mix. I bought this car 3 days ago, it has only done 7,400 miles in 13 years (genuine checked mileage). Would you both still go the 5W-30 route, or because of such low mileage revert back to 0W-30 .  .  .  .  ?

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 09:30:04 PM »

It is important to use genuine Honda oil filters, they are a lot better then aftermarket.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:01:20 PM by Droneranger »

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 09:35:16 PM »
Thanks Droneranger, yes I know the mileage is unreal isn't it? 7,400 in 13 years. It's had 11 services!!!

Sounds like 5W-30 didn't do your high mileage 15,000 Jazz any harm.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 09:48:13 PM »
Personally I would still use 5W-30 Fully Synthetic. I have used 0W-30 in cars and bikes in the past but I feel it is just a bit too thin. I had cars with hydraulic tappets and they rattled on start up with the thinner oil after lying for a couple of days. The thinner oil should give better mpg but even in my search for mpg I still use 5W-30.
My 2006 has done 20 times your mileage.

Droneranger

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »

Here is a little simple info about engine oil. The 0W30 oil will protect the engine better at startup.

www.mrtonneau.com/0w30-oil-vs-5w30/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:55:20 PM by Droneranger »

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 10:32:26 PM »
Although my car is classed as a low-mileage example at 7,400 miles .  .  .  .  .  it's still a 13 year old car, so I don't know if the usual rules apply, and I could still use 0W30  ?
Thank you for all the advice so far.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 10:59:41 PM »
Those engine oils  branded high mileage, the high-mileage oils contain a chemical additive which causes oil seals to swell and reduce oil leakage,  if your car does not leak oil, then do not use those oils, just use with the contemporary oil types.

Droneranger

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 09:21:47 AM »
Although my car is classed as a low-mileage example at 7,400 miles .  .  .  .  .  it's still a 13 year old car, so I don't know if the usual rules apply, and I could still use 0W30  ?
Thank you for all the advice so far.

I would treat the engine as if it were a new engine, if the dealer has been putting 0W30 in it, then I would stay with that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:55:47 PM by Droneranger »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 11:17:58 AM »
Those engine oils  branded high mileage, the high-mileage oils contain a chemical additive which causes oil seals to swell and reduce oil leakage,  if your car does not leak oil, then do not use those oils, just use with the contemporary oil types.

It is not just about leaks, it is also about maintaining oil pressure in older engines where bearing wear has made bearing gaps larger ( especially big ends ). 0W30 oil will be thinner when cold but the 30 means that when hot it will be same thickness as 5W30  I want the oil still to be in the bearings when I start the engine, not all drained back into the sump.   However the hot viscosity is a fudge, the lower the cold viscosity the more 'viscosity modifiers' are needed in the oil, these are like bits of tangled string ( polymer chains ) that coil and uncoil as the oil temperature changes and get destroyed as the oil ages. Highly stressed motorbike engines often specify 10W40 oil.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:29:56 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Droneranger

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »

It is not just about leaks, it is also about maintaining oil pressure in older engines where bearing wear has made bearing gaps larger ( especially big ends ). 0W30 oil will be thinner when cold but the 30 means that when hot it will be same thickness as 5W30  I want the oil still to be in the bearings when I start the engine, not all drained back into the sump.   However the hot viscosity is a fudge, the lower the cold viscosity the more 'viscosity modifiers' are needed in the oil, these are like bits of tangled string ( polymer chains ) that coil and uncoil as the oil temperature changes and get destroyed as the oil ages. Highly stressed motorbike engines often specify 10W40 oil.

As you say, all the oils have the same thickness when hot, so they all drain back into the sump at the same rate.
When cold the thinner oil gets to work faster to protect the engine, as it is already a lot closer to the operating thickness.
Let's not drift off too far with this post, why not just help the person who started it with his engine oil question and other fluids.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 12:27:01 PM by Droneranger »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »
Let's not drift off too far with this post, why not just help the person who started it with his engine oil question and other fluids.
Indeed.

It doesn't tell you an awful lot just going by the label category for viscosity, you really need to check the tech spec from the oil manufacturer. Nominal viscosity bands cover a relatively wide true range, and some manufacturers tend to make oils at one end of the range (Castrol bike oils tend to be at the low end, so the 10W40 is only just thicker than the top end of the 10W30 band for example).

Use what the manual recommends and you won't go far wrong.

0W-30 and 5W-30 will have very similar viscosities at 20C and upwards to the normal operating temp. What is usually more important is the quality of the additive pack, just go with a well known brand, Castrol, Mobil etc.
Bearing protection is about more than just gallery pressure, it is as much about flow rate as anything. Wear of valve train components is about additives. Bore/ring wear is about temperature stability. Longevity is about breakdown rate and ability to cope with contaminants (TBN etc).

FWIW when I come to do my mk.3 I intend to use the Honda 0W-20 stuff, it's not going to be junk. https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/

WelshBeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 04:00:42 PM »
Thank you for all your replies so far, I have read all of them in detail. Please keep them coming.

I have a few further questions (as a new Honda Jazz owner)

1)  Is it worth investing in decent clutch and brake fluids?  Would I even need to use them, in a healthy car?
2)  Anti-freeze is mixed 50/50 with tap water isn't it?  Any recommendations for a decent anti-freeze.
3)  Any other fluids/combustables I should have in my locker?

Tags: