Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 79574 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #285 on: April 28, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »
I would add that the TPMS on my HR-V (and I expect the MK 3 Jazz to be the same) doesn't give a warning until about a mile into a journey. I discovered this when I had the tyres changed. They visually looked OK before I set off and I wondered if the TPMS had been reset (unlikely that the tyre people would know how to do this). The answer came about a mile into the journey when the TPMS alert came on. I checked when I got home and none of the pressures was correct with one tyre being about 7 psi too high.

If, as the above suggests, it takes about a mile for the TPMS to report a problem, then there's the risk of starting a journey with a seriously soft tyre and wrecking it before the TPMS complains. Of course, we inspect the tyres before the start of each journey, don't we?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2019, 10:11:42 PM »
I like to think I would very soon notice the effect on handling if a tyre was seriously under-inflated.  However, I may be deluding myself!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #287 on: April 29, 2019, 10:29:03 AM »
I like to think I would very soon notice the effect on handling if a tyre was seriously under-inflated.  However, I may be deluding myself!

Front under-inflation easier to pick up than rear tyre - but even so the power steering masks the effects.   I still look at all 4 tyres every time I set off and will often push in the sidewall at top of tyre with my thumb and compare all 4 tyres for how easy it is to push ( it works surprisingly well ).  Check the pressure about once a month as well.   

The front drivers side tyre fools me every time when I check visually, the sidewalls at bottom seem to bulge more than the others - and I have often checked pressure only to find it is spot on - must be a bit more weight on that wheel ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

akh48

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Brilliant Sporty Blue Jazz SE 2016
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2019, 09:50:13 PM »
Currently having problems with this at the moment. 

First time it happened was in February and I had no idea what the warning actually meant until I checked my handbook. When I checked my tyres it was easy to see which was the faulty tyre, called out AA who patched up, but as a screw was on the edge of tyre they recommended replacing within 100 miles, which my Honda garage did within the week as was going in for another issue.  I would like to think that they did what they should to recallibrate after fitting, but as they didn't even reset the warning light who knows!!

10 days ago the warning came on again on my way home late at night and although I had a quick check when I got home as it was dark I checked again the following morning.  No signs of a problem and garage recommended check tyre pressures and if ok reset the warning, which I did.  4 days later, no further issues until on the motorway and it came on again half way to my destination  :o  On checking pressures again no signs of an issue so reset the warning. On way back same happened and when I got home checked again and pressures ok and reset. 

So far no further warning but barely used the car this week, but as car due in next week for another issue will get them to check this out as well as still under warranty. 

Glad I came upon this thread so I can see I am not alone.
They checked out my tyres when at the garage today and they had to adjust the new tyre they put on in Feb and then did a triple hard reset and they have said that should now sort it out. 

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #289 on: May 26, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »
From starting driving, 40 plus years ago, I have checked my tyre pressures, on a monthly basis, or thereabouts.

My Jazz is no different, and I find that I put in 2 or 3 psi, some of which is lost in the connection / disconnection.

I do not re calibrate, and indeed, it was 6 months, before I discovered on this forum, that it should be done!

So far....etc. etc.

Just out of interest, how much would the 2 or 2.1 bar figures have to vary, to trigger an alert?

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #290 on: May 26, 2019, 11:38:01 AM »

Just out of interest, how much would the 2 or 2.1 bar figures have to vary, to trigger an alert?

Just one data point but the last genuine warning I had it was about 6 psi down.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
Just thought I'd bump this thread up to reflect today's experience. Coming home from the Wirral today the Tyre Pressure Warning system activated. The car had, at that point, around 650 miles from new. No obvious indication from the handling that anything was amiss so I carried on.

My previous Mk3 gave 3 false alarms and eventually settled down.

Got home, checked pressures, all correct so I have recalibrated. I wonder if I will have to do this several times again as I did with my first Mk3.

A system that is prone to giving false alarms is, quite simply, not fit for purpose.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #292 on: March 04, 2020, 04:35:31 PM »
I have had alarms go off on previous cars and found the best way re-calibrate, is to reset and then drive several miles on relatively straight roads, ie motorway or similar.
I think, rightly or wrongly, this give the system the best chance to accurately re-calibrate itself, since all wheels are rotating at the same speed.
My latest Mk3 has now covered almost 6k miles with no false alarms, Yet  :D

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #293 on: March 04, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »
It's odd isn't it? I've had 4 false alarms - 3 on my last car and now 1 on this one. On the last car I had an agreement with the dealer that the next time it went off (after the first 3) I would not recalibrate and bring the car in. After that, there was no problem.

All those 3 were after a period of motorway driving - I was on the motorway today when the latest false alarm occurred - this may, or may not, be a red herring.

Done the usual Google searches and it's a problem on all Honda models both in the UK and overseas. An annoying problem is that the system apparently "erases" any error code so it's next to impossible for a technician to establish what went wrong.

I've decided to give this car a "3 strikes and you're out" ultimatum. After the third false alarm (assuming it comes) I'll leave the warning light on and take it to the dealers.

This system has been causing issues to some, not all, but some Honda owners for years. Much as I like Honda they really should have fixed this.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #294 on: March 06, 2020, 05:20:19 PM »
 >:( >:( >:(

Wow!

2 false alarms today. The first was just at the end of my 35 mile trip to the Wirral along the M6, M56 and M53. Parked up, checked tyres, no issues, recalibrated.

The second came towards the end of my return trip from the Wirral. I've just recalibrated this time. Tyres look OK.

So, scores on the doors

Number of Mk3s involved ...............2

Genuine Alarms.............................0

False Alarms..................................6

This is beyond funny but my experience is not unusual if the internet is anything to go by. I'm left with 4 questions:

1) What is causing these false alarms?

2) Why, after 3 false alarms, did my previous Mk3 settle down and not give any alarms - false or otherwise?

3) Is it worth going back to the dealership (given I can't find any evidence that anybody has found a dealer who has solved this issue)?

4) Why do all these alarms happen after a period of motorway driving?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2020, 10:06:47 PM »
I still think it's down to new tyres bedding in.  As to why your false alarms are Motorway related,  I can only think it's because the tyres are more stressed then.  I had several false alarms on the new car, but none since, after 40,000 miles on the original tyres.  I'll soon be replacing the fronts, and expect some problems afterwards.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #296 on: March 07, 2020, 08:46:03 AM »
Had a few false warnings when I bought my 16 reg Jazz, very rarely since then. Had four new tyres fitted a couple of months ago and no false warnings  :)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
I think you might be right John and Downsizer. I guess the other factor is the system, from what I hear, doesn't operate at low speeds so a period of fast driving is almost always going to be more likely to trigger the thing.

Did a reset again this morning having ensured all the tyres were at the right pressure.

Graham Smith

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE 2016
« Reply #298 on: December 28, 2020, 07:14:21 AM »
I had this problem. It was resolved when I had new tyres fitted. Apparently the warning goes on repeatedly because the tyres on each side were not of the same make/model. Once that had been fixed - problem disappeared.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #299 on: December 28, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
Mine has gone off twice and like others it was on the motorway.
It takes seconds to recalibrate so next time I plan to go on the motorway ( not very often) I will do it before I set off and see if that stops it.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Tags:

anything