Author Topic: Gas struts on hatchback  (Read 1120 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Gas struts on hatchback
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:09:01 AM »
Hi,
On a couple of occasions recently I've clouted my head on the hatch as it seems to be very slow lifting the last few inches. It does go up all the way, I've put it down to the cold weather weakening the struts. Has anyone else had a problem or am I just lucky😂

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Gas struts on hatchback
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »
Hi,
On a couple of occasions recently I've clouted my head on the hatch as it seems to be very slow lifting the last few inches. It does go up all the way, I've put it down to the cold weather weakening the struts. Has anyone else had a problem or am I just lucky😂

Yeah I have noticed this in colder weather when the cold lowers the pressure of gas in the struts,  bumped my head on the Civic tailgate the other day as it actually dropped after I had pushed it up the last few inches ( it was too feeble to reach the top without my help ) I turned to grab some stuff out of shopping trolley and as I turned back to the boot my head caught the plastic lining  which is a lot less painful they catching the metal edge but still wakes you up..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
Hi

Sorry if I am wrong but chrisv, are you the person who fitted a bigger spoiler to the boot

If so, could it also be the additional weight

I’m not mechanical so sorry if wrong

Many thanks

John

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:19:31 PM »
Hi

Sorry if I am wrong but chrisv, are you the person who fitted a bigger spoiler to the boot

If so, could it also be the additional weight

I’m not mechanical so sorry if wrong

It certainly does, I had a new Volvo with a spoiler on the tailgate, cost me extra as a dealer fit option. The tailgate wouldn't go up to the top without assistance, dealer didn't bother to fit the revised strut.

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 08:20:19 PM »
Cold weather makes a difference, as I found out this morning.........before I read this thread!!

chrisv

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:35:16 PM »
Hi,
Wasn't me who fitted a boot spoiler 😁😁😁, think I'll have to start wearing a cap,
Chris

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 09:53:42 PM »
......and I think I'll put my crash helmet on before opening the boot again.....dangerous things these Honda Jazzes!!

Tags: