Author Topic: Any Auto Electricians?  (Read 1565 times)

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
Any Auto Electricians?
« on: October 31, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
So....

Today after work I mounted the LED lightbar properly to the front of our Jazz, as I want it to come on with the high beam I ran the relay "trigger" to the LHS high beam terminal...

Now, the lightbar functioned great and came on with the high beam but now the driving / fog light on the same side appears to have blown?

I'll be the first to admit that anything over wiring up a car stereo is not my strength, but this should have been simple.

Any suggestions?
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Any Auto Electricians?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
So....

Today after work I mounted the LED lightbar properly to the front of our Jazz, as I want it to come on with the high beam I ran the relay "trigger" to the LHS high beam terminal...

Now, the lightbar functioned great and came on with the high beam but now the driving / fog light on the same side appears to have blown?

I'll be the first to admit that anything over wiring up a car stereo is not my strength, but this should have been simple.

Any suggestions?

And as a result the current draw through the LHS high beam terminal will likely have: flown teh fuse or melted teh wiring(unlikly)..as the current draw will be main beam +lightbar.

(Lightbars are illegal in the UK I believe)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
Where did you get the live side of the relay switch contacts from?

Has the fog light bulb actually blown, or is it just not working?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:29:57 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 01:41:55 PM »
Well if the LHS high and low beams still working it is unlikely that you caused a blown fuse on the headlight side. Assume you connected the 'trigger' ( coil connection, which draws milliamps ) of the relay to the LHS main beam +12v supply wire and earth - but where did you connect the pole of the relay to to pick up +12volts high current for the lightbar ?  It is normal when using a relay to connect a power drawing device to connect the the power pick-up wire of relay to the +12 battery terminal via a suitable fuse to protect the wiring, the downside of this is that if the relay sticks closed the lightbar will stay on when ignition is off. 

As SparkyPaul says first thing to check is if the foglamp ( although many chavvie types in UK use them as a driving lights )   bulb is blown or not.

The Jazz headlights have a separate fuse for LH and RH side then if one side blows a fuse you don't lose all the lights...  looking at this fusebox layout the foglights only have one fuse for the pair ( F9) so if fuse had blown neither side would work. It is a 20 amp fuse for front fogs ( separate fuse for rear fog ).

https://fuse-box.info/honda/honda-fit-ge-2009-2014-fuses

Didn't have any trouble fitting LED headlight bulbs ( ducks )...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:27:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JRHPNG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »
Well if the LHS high and low beams still working it is unlikely that you caused a blown fuse on the headlight side. Assume you connected the 'trigger' ( coil connection, which draws milliamps ) of the relay to the LHS main beam +12v supply wire and earth - but where did you connect the pole of the relay to to pick up +12volts high current for the lightbar ?  It is normal when using a relay to connect a power drawing device to connect the the power pick-up wire of relay to the +12 battery terminal via a suitable fuse to protect the wiring, the downside of this is that if the relay sticks closed the lightbar will stay on when ignition is off. 

As SparkyPaul says first thing to check is if the foglamp ( although many chavvie types in UK use them as a driving lights )   bulb is blown or not.

The Jazz headlights have a separate fuse for LH and RH side then if one side blows a fuse you don't lose all the lights...  looking at this fusebox layout the foglights only have one fuse for the pair ( F9) so if fuse had blown neither side would work. It is a 20 amp fuse for front fogs ( separate fuse for rear fog ).

https://fuse-box.info/honda/honda-fit-ge-2009-2014-fuses

Didn't have any trouble fitting LED headlight bulbs ( ducks )...

Thanks for the reply, the main 12v for the relay is connected to the battery (fused).

I checked the fuses and nothing is blown which seems a little weird.

I will check out the bulb today.

Thanks

JRHPNG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »

Hi, from the battery (fused)...

JRHPNG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 08:15:06 PM »

Hi, just removed it - definitely blown. 

JRHPNG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 10:44:36 PM »

Here is the only wiring diagram. I cut the white wire and used that to connect to the high beam circuit as did not want the drama of putting wires through the fire wall and hunting the ignition power in the car. Did I make an incorrect assumption that the white wire is the trigger / coil supply?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
From that diagram it looks as though the power on/off switch interrupts the +12v supply to the relay coil ( so the white will be the relay coil +12v so you were correct in connecting that wire to main beam +12v ) and the battery connections and fuse on the relay diagram are the heavy current ones.  I tend to use 'vampire' connections ( usually called IDC = insulation displacement connector) when connecting stuff up to existing vehicle wiring  - this means you don't have to cut existing wiring.   

I guess the foglight bulb blowing was just a coincidence. 

I assume you just threw the remote switch in the junk box for future use ?

The black wire to remote switch would just be an 0v point for the LED lights on the remote switch,  so all the remote would do was switch the red wire to the white wire to energise the relay... the other side of relay coil would be connected to the big black lead direct to battery.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:07:43 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
Here is the only wiring diagram. I cut the white wire and used that to connect to the high beam circuit as did not want the drama of putting wires through the fire wall and hunting the ignition power in the car. Did I make an incorrect assumption that the white wire is the trigger / coil supply?

Seems a reasonable assumption.

You could have disturbed something, or even just knocked the foglamp, if the filament was on it's last legs. I think I would try another bulb.

Coincidence? If all is as it seems, it would appear unlikely that these events are connected.

JRHPNG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 11:54:49 AM »
You are both legend's, appreciate the help.

Have ordered some new bulbs online, will pick up some of those connectors also.

Will update.

Cheers

Tags: