Author Topic: Durability of the direct drive clutch  (Read 933 times)

guest10626

Durability of the direct drive clutch
« on: September 15, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
I am driving on motorways most of the time and I am observing the direct drive clutch beeing frequently used at speeds about 50 to 70 miles. I am not a tech guy, but what do you think about the durability of the direct drive clutch? Could this become a problem at high mileage up to 180.000 miles for example?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Durability of the direct drive clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:03:05 AM »
I doubt it.
Honda will have applied suitable power management during clutch engagement/disengagement so there will be minimal slip under load, which is what causes wear. That's one of the big advantages with electronically controlled systems over manual human operated stuff, it does what it's programmed to do every time, which will generally be thoroughly engineered for durability/reliability.

guest9814

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 03:49:21 PM »
If I remember correctly from famous YouTube clip that explains how Honda I-MMD transaxle built and working there is part that named resolver that sensing revs of electric motors so clutch only engages I believe when both motors spins same speed.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 06:39:01 PM »
If I remember correctly from famous YouTube clip that explains how Honda I-MMD transaxle built and working there is part that named resolver that sensing revs of electric motors so clutch only engages I believe when both motors spins same speed.
Here it is .

The other very informative Youtube video is .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything