Author Topic: Changing from Inflation Kit to space saver tyre  (Read 5846 times)

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
Re: Changing from Inflation Kit to space saver tyre
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
I looked at the Cox Motor Parts site (as recommended by a few people on this forum) and it suggests that a full size one will fit, but I don't want the hassle of getting one that doesn't and then having to return it.

Hi and welcome :)

IIRC the "problem" with the full size wheel is that you'll need to make yourself a shelf to go over it, whereas the Honda space saver kit includes a polystyrene filler that means the boot's floor is structurally ok.

There's been a few threads about it, I went for the less hassle of the Honda kit.

pidj

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz EX Manual
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »
Hi John, and thanks for the welcome  :)

Have you driven on the space saver wheel? I know it would probably get me home or to a garage ok - as long as I wasn't too far from civilisation - but is it as reliable and safe as driving on a full spare? Any downsides I should be aware of?

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »
@pidj - A space saver is perfectly safe to use as long as you follow the instructions on maximum distance and speed.  Always fit on the rear axle, even if the puncture is to a front wheel.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:01:01 PM by ColinS »

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 09:14:12 PM »
My 2018 EX, has a full size, original, spare wheel. Courtesy of Ebay.

The flimsy boot floor, is supported by 40 year old, recycled, greenhouse cedarwood staging.

Not pretty. But it works very well. (And, no-one sees it).......

David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

pidj

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz EX Manual
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 12:34:43 PM »
My 2018 EX, has a full size, original, spare wheel. Courtesy of Ebay.

The flimsy boot floor, is supported by 40 year old, recycled, greenhouse cedarwood staging.

Not pretty. But it works very well. (And, no-one sees it).......

That looks perfectly fine to me....and what a great idea! I may have to steal it.... ;)

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »
Have a 2016 1.3 S CVT and just gunk supplied despite fittings for a spare. Always like a spare as nails dont usually puncture in the approved position. Have fitted a space saver but to get the Honda foam insert is silly price. Have supported the flimsy floor with plywood and wood supports using space saver as support. As this cuts down space for Jack, foot pump etc. I am looking at making plywood sheet to place on top of the boot floor, similar shape to rubber boot mat. Estimate this will give plenty of strength for luggage support, give loads of room under floor and round spare. Might even leave gunk and compressor in as double back up. Aim to varnish board to seal it and then cover in carpet/carpet tiles. Might improve sound proofing. Anyone tried this? If so does it work ok?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 05:30:04 PM »
Came across this puncture kit on a motorbike forum, great for motorbike as is light and small to carry, even with the 16 gram CO2 cylinders.  Could be used on a car as well ( if you have a pair of pliers to pull nail or screw out ) - if you carry a pump in boot would not need the Co2 adaptor or cylinders.  Hard to carry a pump on a motorbike though.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/plugging-away-stopgo-vs-dynaplug-tubeless-tire-repair

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNAPLUG%C2%AE-ULTRALITE-TUBELESS-PUNCTURE-MOTORCYCLES/dp/B00UQPUZUE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1XYZUMIQI8AZ&dchild=1&keywords=dynaplug+tubeless+repair+kit&qid=1613410875&sprefix=dynaplug+%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U6AI2H2/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007CXDMJO/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:42:05 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »
Hi. I have a 68 plate jazz. It came with the gunk. I bought on ebay a spacesaver wheel.
It fits OK in the wheel well along with my hydraulic jack and wheelbrace. As said a few rags packed around it means it doesn't clatter about over the potholes !!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 08:03:15 PM »
If you do put a spare wheel in the boot, it's worth devising some way of securing it, or cut the carpet to access the threaded hole for the standard securing screw.

If you were unfortunate enough to have a serious accident, you wouldn't want it hitting you at the back of the noggin.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 04:22:39 AM »
Whilst I've not had a puncture in over a decade I'm disappointed the MK4 has no facility to carry a space saver.

Without one you're at the mercy of the breakdown services as the gunk is only for slowish punctures. The last 3 punctures I did have, 2 of them gunk wouldn't have worked.

What happens when the AA do turn up ? They aren't going to 'give' you a spare wheel and I wouldn't want them taking a perfectly good wheel in exchange so how does it work ?
Let's be careful out there !

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 06:36:10 AM »
Hi John, and thanks for the welcome  :)

Have you driven on the space saver wheel? I know it would probably get me home or to a garage ok - as long as I wasn't too far from civilisation - but is it as reliable and safe as driving on a full spare? Any downsides I should be aware of?

A Mark 2 Jazz story: I drove from Warwick 70 miles home along the M6 on a space saver fitted to the rear wheel. At 50mph! No problems.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »

What happens when the AA do turn up ? They aren't going to 'give' you a spare wheel and I wouldn't want them taking a perfectly good wheel in exchange so how does it work ?

The AA use a universal spare wheel to get you to a tyre repair place, so the repair/replacement can be done.

https://www.theaa.com/about-us/newsroom/innovation-and-technology/aa-multi-fit-wheel

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 12:23:41 PM »
A Mark 2 Jazz story: I drove from Warwick 70 miles home along the M6 on a space saver fitted to the rear wheel. At 50mph! No problems.

I did about the same in our mark 1, driving back from North Yorkshire.

Whilst the wheel was fine, I didn't reckon much to the vehicles up my arse at 50mph, especially on the windy country lanes - those spacesavers have limited grip on the corners.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 01:08:27 PM »

The AA use a universal spare wheel to get you to a tyre repair place, so the repair/replacement can be done.

https://www.theaa.com/about-us/newsroom/innovation-and-technology/aa-multi-fit-wheel

Useful info, thanks.

I guess that works during 'office hours' when tyre shops are open but I tend to drive from Heathrow to Reading around 05:00. I wonder what happens in the dead of night.
Let's be careful out there !

fatal

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz 1.3se Mk3
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
My 2019 Jazz came with a repair kit, (these kits are a bit hit and miss as to effectually repairing a puncture)
I purchased a space saver wheel,Jack and wheelbrace off Ebay. The wheel fits snugly in the boot well along with the tools and other bits and bobs that I carry. There is no means to fasten the wheel to the boot floor, but I'm satisfied it's secure enough. I also carry a motorcycle puncture repair kit that has proven it's worth several times on my bikes and on my previously owned BMW 3 series that had run flat tyres.
This preparation may save a wait of several hours before the road rescue service can get to you.
I think therefore I'm not.

Tags:

anything