Author Topic: CVT Fluid Change  (Read 26174 times)

Gordon_Bennett

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz
Re: CVT Fluid Change
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 12:40:08 PM »
hi guys,

i bought a jazz 2005 (51,000 miles) recently, its last service history record was on 33,500 miles end-2016.

i've just done new, spark plugs, air filter, engine oil & filter.

i checked here and i'm getting confusfed in regards to the CVT Fluid Change -

would it been of done @ 33,500 miles service?

also when is the correct milage to do this CVT Fluid Change ?

thanks in advance for any help!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »
As far as I know, it's now every 25,000 miles or two years, whichever is soonest. I believe it was originally 50,000/4 years, but this was found to be insufficient.

In theory, it should have been done several times. If in any doubt, I would change it and start from there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:35:16 PM by sparky Paul »

Gordon_Bennett

• Registered Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »
As far as I know, it's now every 25,000 miles or two years, whichever is soonest. I believe it was originally 50,000/4 years, but this was found to be insufficient.

In theory, it should have been done several times. If in any doubt, I would change it and start from there.

thanks Paul,

can it be done DIY?

If so can you kindly point me to a CVT Fluid Change DIY thread if theres one, thanks!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 02:29:32 PM »
There's quite a few CVT threads on here, but this one has a decent guide with pics

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6465.msg29178#msg29178

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 07:23:49 PM »
Other threads will say it is essential to use only the correct HONDA fluid for your car.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »
Hi,

I realise this is an old thread, However I was wondering if anyone has changed their CVT fluid using a pump, as opposed to undoing the drain plug. Would that work?

I've used a pump for engine oil change, and it worked well, so thought I'd do the same with the CVT fluid. The pump manual says to only use it for engine oil (or Diesel) and not gearbox oil (as that is potentially thicker), I don't know yet how thick CVT fluid is , but from the dipstick, it seems fairly runny.

Although I have no shudder on startup, I do notice a bit of a lurch, under moderate acceleration, when moving off from a roundabout, or joining a motorway. I use S mode as a workaround for quick pickup, but thought it maybe a good idea, to change this as I don't know when it was last changed.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 04:17:14 PM »
Hi,

I realise this is an old thread, However I was wondering if anyone has changed their CVT fluid using a pump, as opposed to undoing the drain plug. Would that work?

I've used a pump for engine oil change, and it worked well, so thought I'd do the same with the CVT fluid. The pump manual says to only use it for engine oil (or Diesel) and not gearbox oil (as that is potentially thicker), I don't know yet how thick CVT fluid is , but from the dipstick, it seems fairly runny.

Although I have no shudder on startup, I do notice a bit of a lurch, under moderate acceleration, when moving off from a roundabout, or joining a motorway. I use S mode as a workaround for quick pickup, but thought it maybe a good idea, to change this as I don't know when it was last changed.
The oil is pretty thin, I doubt the pump will struggle to pull it out but I doubt it will be able to pull out the full approx 3L that a change entails. I tried pulling some out recently and it was a struggle to even get 500ml out with suction.

Gearboxes are complex and I doubt that the filler/dipstick hole gives you access to the lowest point like the sump plug does.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 04:18:27 PM »
I could be wrong though and knowing where to place the suction pipe to access the fluid better may help.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 05:46:22 PM »
Most gearbox oil now is no thicker than engine oil,  the days of the old 'gearbox treacle' are long gone due to churning losses and higher MPG ( especially when cold ) being incompatible... probably still pay to go for a drive to warm the oil up, as that makes quite a difference.  It may pay to compare the oil level on dipstick to the shoulder that sits on top of tube with the length of oil you get on the tube of your vacuum device when it is pushed down into gearbox,  that will give you an idea how far down the vacuum tube is going.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:23:36 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
Happy to report that the pump out method worked with the CVT fluid. I was able to extract about 2.4 litres of cvt fluid. I noticed that the level on the dipstick was higher with the car sloping forward,( front wheels lower than rear wheels.) so pumped out with car in that position. Went for a short drive to check if the lurching under moderate acceleration was cured, it seems to have made a difference, as I now need to accelerate harder than I normally would to get it to happen, but it’s not completely gone. But again, This wasn’t a complete change of fluid , but will do for me for now, I’ll pump out and fill it again in a month or two to complete the ‘flush’. Hopefully that will cure it.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 05:21:13 PM »
When you refill it again try adding Xado EX120 additive, coupled with an oil flush my jerkiness has been eliminated. For a small cost it is extra insurance.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »
Thanks, Yep, I did read about it, will consider it after my next oil change.  I’ve seen ads about it, but nice to have that validated by someone here whose actually done it. Thanks!

rgt1973

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport 1.4 cvt
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »
I've just done a CVT oil change and it is pretty straightforward. Took the advice and added the Xado 120 as well and it has immediately eliminated the judder it had.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 06:40:39 PM »
That’s good to know, ours is still fine about 1000 miles on.

bigsteve7777777

• Registered Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 02:13:20 PM »
A drain only releases around 2.5 litres. capacity is double that..approx. 
Honda's schedule cannot be a full drain.. That requires drain once, refill 2.5litres. Drive 15 minutes. drain again. Refill. That is more like £150+ worth of work..
  why does box only drop 2.5 litres.

Tags: