Author Topic: Autocar - The top 100 best-ever British cars  (Read 4350 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Autocar - The top 100 best-ever British cars
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
Honda Jazz at 91 and Civic at 96.

I think their definition of 'British' is a bit loose!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/top-100-best-ever-british-cars?

Bentleymop

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Metallic Deep Purple 1.4 EX
Re: Autocar - The top 100 best-ever British cars
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »
True but did you see the reliability chart for used small cars?
Jazz Mk 2 top ;D with Mk 1 just behind :)
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:46:54 PM »
Is the Honda included since it is assembled in the UK?

I totally agree about the Mini.  I have had 3 and still own a Cooper S with a 5-speed box.  Extremely dated design and poor passive safety.  My one (1968) has the hydrolastic suspension which works really well.  The gearbox was modified by the previous owner.  I have been offered 3 times what I paid for it
If music be the food of love, play on

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »
My one (1968) has the hydrolastic suspension which works really well.

I've got loads of time for Hydrolastic, but a lot less for Hydrasag...

I did once get a lift in a 1971 Mk3 Cooper S. The induction roar was great  8).

I'd take the offer and buy an Austin Apache. (I used to have a 1964 Austin 1100 and why that isn't in the list anyway?)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
the present generation of Mini (BMW) was designed in UK and has been a runaway success for BMW, continuing the 'classless' image of original car (driven by pop stars and models and Dave the local milkman) - only problem is small inside space (rear seats just for show) and large outside size (you realise how big it is when you see it next to an original Mini).

Newer models and next generation of Mini are anything but 'mini' in size, more like  a 'mini 4X4'.

Rover Group had some excellent engineers and designers who had great ideas (if the Hydrolastic system had been built properly using decent materials it would have been great). They had 4 valve heads and other good stuff before other car makers but it was a case of great ideas that were badly implemented.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »
Strangely enough, the hydrolastic suspension on this Mini has never had to be topped up.  At the Mini Cooper Racing Club there are tales galore about disasters with the suspension leaking and a general inability to fix it 100%.  The chairman says it is (not to him though) a secret recipe of alchohol, glycol and some lubricant that does not perish the rubbers.  It is his opinion that my car was the among very first of this series to be filled up with this fluid since the local assembly plant wanted to show the British managers that they knew what they were doing.  Later models were just left to an appie on the line and he might or might not have got it right.

I am selling the car, I have had a ridiculous offer from someone in Johannesburg who must have more money than sense and he is sending a car-carrier for it this week.

The Austin Apache is one of the worst cars ever to come out of the UK.  The body rust after 2 or 3 years was frightful.  As for the handling...
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags:

anything