Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 207470 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #645 on: August 15, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
I use 5th all round town, even in heavy traffic. If my speed is about 20 mph,in it goes.
The other evening I got stuck in traffic. 4 miles in half an hour (8 mph average) but still got 38 mpg for the trip.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 12:25:23 PM by Jocko »

Masiedog

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE
« Reply #646 on: August 15, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »
1.4 SE 300 miles on a tank is that poor or to be expected?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #647 on: August 15, 2021, 10:05:11 PM »
It depends on how low you let the fuel drop before you filled up. I normally wait until the low fuel warning light comes on.
The best way to check it is to use something like Fuelly.com or SpritMonitor.com, where you enter your mileage and litres each top up and it calculates your miles per gallon. You can do it with a calculator as long as you record the mileage at each top-up.
(Current mileage - previous mileage) /(litres/4.55)=mpg.

I just filled my tank after 514 miles between top-ups.

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #648 on: August 16, 2021, 12:06:49 AM »
1.4 SE 300 miles on a tank is that poor or to be expected?
It's better than what I get so it can't be too bad.

Masiedog

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE
« Reply #649 on: August 16, 2021, 01:21:53 PM »
We own a 2005 1.4 se Jazz with careful driving we only got 300 miles on a tankful ! Which to our dodgy calculation is around 30 mpg , but the engine management light is always lit  :o

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #650 on: August 16, 2021, 04:56:01 PM »
We own a 2005 1.4 se Jazz with careful driving we only got 300 miles on a tankful ! Which to our dodgy calculation is around 30 mpg , but the engine management light is always lit  :o
I assume you're brimming the tank when you fill up right? Also, when are you filling up? Yellow light or before?

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #651 on: August 17, 2021, 08:29:38 AM »
I assume you're brimming the tank when you fill up right? Also, when are you filling up? Yellow light or before?

think as they say its on all the time as its the engine fault light.. most likely the cause of the poor economy.. my gauge is showing 35mpg around town now. although my engines running faultless

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #652 on: August 17, 2021, 09:02:13 AM »

think as they say its on all the time as its the engine fault light.. most likely the cause of the poor economy.. my gauge is showing 35mpg around town now. although my engines running faultless

Fault light could be dodgy oxygen sensor and fuel injection gone into 'open loop' mode ( default uncontrolled mode which gives a constant rich mixture )....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:12:09 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #653 on: August 17, 2021, 09:56:32 AM »
The fault could have been and gone. The light stays on until you reset it. Buy a cheap OBD2 code reader from Amazon or the like. About £15. That will tell you what the problem is/was and let you reset it.
Yesterday, I watched my ScanGauge, and even with a warm engine it took about 5 miles to average better than 40 mpg, from a journey start.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #654 on: August 19, 2021, 07:36:14 PM »
Topped up the tank today after 497 miles and 60.1 mpg. That is six out of the last ten top-ups 60+ mpg (and two were 59 something).

knobbly

• Approved Member
« Reply #655 on: August 21, 2021, 05:00:38 AM »
This year I have had two long journeys with impressive MPG in my 2002 1.4.  The latest is 72.5 over 180 miles using the dash indicator.  When later filling up this worked out at 59.3 over the full tank(66.3 indicated) which then included some city work too. 
Like Jocko I pull the highest gear I can, 38psi and stay within speed limits as I have motorbikes for my need for fun and speed! The engine has a very old fashioned torque curve like an old A series Austin Morris unit, but much smoother.  More specifically it is suited to sensible driving and not chasing 0-60 times or theoretical top speeds.
I do not know when the car was last serviced, bu the oil has only just become black as opposed to discoloured and the air filter was blown out with an airline, but not changed. It has only done 31k miles so is very low and feels to be in fine fettle being so smooth and absolutely silent at tickover. It really has proved to be a fine car over the 7 months and 6k that I have owned it, with no attention required beyond petrol and windscreen wash. I will change the oil for the winter and apply some Dinitrol as a reward, but that wil be it untill I do a full service next summer.
Long may this peformance continue.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #656 on: August 25, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »
Well, I think I will have to give up my crown for a non-hybrid Jazz mpg. Today I filled up for the last time before the car becomes a city shopper. I have two more trips back to the old house then it is into the drive, charger connected up and one 7 mile round trip to Asda every couple of weeks. Just when I got my Blue Badge too.
I have always enjoyed driving (hence the reason I have had jobs driving buses and coaches as well as a couple of jobs as a van delivery driver) and will really miss being out on the road. Since the start of the year, I have done 13,000 miles (not bad for a 15-year-old Jazz), and, though I won't miss such a large number of miles I will miss it.
And today's figure. 62.8 mpg for a 488-mile tankful.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #657 on: August 25, 2021, 10:29:30 PM »
Well, I think I will have to give up my crown for a non-hybrid Jazz mpg. Today I filled up for the last time before the car becomes a city shopper. I have two more trips back to the old house then it is into the drive, charger connected up and one 7 mile round trip to Asda every couple of weeks.

I'm sure you'll find some nice days out in the summer, at least bump it back up then.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #658 on: August 26, 2021, 10:40:58 AM »
The fault could have been and gone. The light stays on until you reset it. Buy a cheap OBD2 code reader from Amazon or the like. About £15. That will tell you what the problem is/was and let you reset it.
Yesterday, I watched my ScanGauge, and even with a warm engine it took about 5 miles to average better than 40 mpg, from a journey start.

That's really interesting and is further confirmation as to why my mpg is so poor. in fact poor might be the wrong word, any car might struggle to attain decent figures given my driving profile.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #659 on: August 26, 2021, 04:27:09 PM »
sticky mpg guage?????
only had my jazz about 3 weeks now. i was concerned at first as the first 2 weeks driving was just town short trips and the guage was showing average 32mpg then last weekend had a long 500 mile round trip up north.. after filling her tank up the .. the first motorway miles crept up to the max of 56mpg. great .. only thing is now the short town drives its  showing 54mpg all the time lol ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 04:28:49 PM by fashionphotography »

Tags:

anything