Author Topic: Car not locking - with solution.  (Read 1486 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Car not locking - with solution.
« on: May 20, 2023, 03:12:45 PM »
I'm off on holiday tomorrow, with  a 5 am start to catch Le Shuttle .  I  loaded a suitcase today to save time  tomorrow.  The car wouldnt lock  - just  some beeps   
I assumed it was because the tailgate wasnt shutting properly . The suitcase sits on top of a full sized spare  wheel strapped to the boot floor. But the arrangement worked fine in the past.  But no amount of rearranging, or even putting the seat back down helped. Beeps.    Panic, panic, flap, flap.   ???

I finally realised it must be the key.   Lucky it happened today, not tomorrow.   My wife had packed the spare key in the suitcase !  I thought it was disabled but she may have  knocked a button  . I cant check because having had to unpack the suitcase I dare not ask her to find the key again in her handbag (almost as capacious   )

But either way the moral is dont leave  the spare key in the car.  Its a daft thing to do anyway.   :-[ 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 03:18:35 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Car not locking - with solution.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 04:16:17 PM »

Have a nice holiday!!!  8)
If nothing goes right, go left!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 07:22:27 PM »
I've done that myself! The first time it took me about twenty minutes to work out what had been going on.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 05:26:13 AM »
I've been looking for some kind of small tight fitting pouch to put the fob bit in to prevent accidental button presses but so far not found anything suitable.

Even with the fob in your trouser pocket I've generated a button press just by bending over when getting out of the car.

I now make sure my house keys flop over the buttons to shield them.
Let's be careful out there !

guest9236

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 10:09:55 AM »
I've been looking for some kind of small tight fitting pouch to put the fob bit in to prevent accidental button presses but so far not found anything suitable.

Even with the fob in your trouser pocket I've generated a button press just by bending over when getting out of the car.

I now make sure my house keys flop over the buttons to shield them.

I have  used for many years a disused folding spectacle hard shell case  it works well and doesn’t block signal when in my pocket  it just takes the fob  without force in fact it is always in my pocket whilst out and about tried to send photo but that has not worked
If you can find one it’s fits perfectly and protects both the fob and accidental pressing and buttons.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 10:28:34 AM »
Have you got a photo so I know what I'm looking for
Let's be careful out there !

guest9236

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 10:30:44 AM »
Yes have tried to attach  not successfully probably cos I’m thick..

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 11:05:19 AM »
The key fob of the 2020 EX I had for testing could be perfectly shielded by an old aluminum Smint package.
Smint has changed the layout of the box in the meantime and the opening of the current box is now only 14mm high (used to be a generous 22 mm).
Alas the delivery date of my New Jazz Advance is still unknown and I can not verify if the key fob fits the new Smint box as well.

BIGFELLAH's solution is certainly more elegant by far!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 07:29:48 PM »
Do you wear (like me) jeans/trousers with a so-called "watch pocket"?

Then try something like this:

Leather, approx. 3 x 6 cm. Fold the leather over the buttons and the key fob sits safely and snugly in that pocket without bothering you.
Not possible to accidentally press the buttons. (Experience: at least 10 years). No hassle with spectacle mini hard shell cases (which usually do not last long and are rather big about 10 x 5 cm and about 3½ cm thick), pouches, boxes etc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:37:50 PM by Jazzik »

guest9236

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 10:49:37 AM »
Do you wear (like me) jeans/trousers with a so-called "watch pocket"?

Then try something like this:

Leather, approx. 3 x 6 cm. Fold the leather over the buttons and the key fob sits safely and snugly in that pocket without bothering you.
Not possible to accidentally press the buttons. (Experience: at least 10 years). No hassle with spectacle mini hard shell cases (which usually do not last long and are rather big about 10 x 5 cm and about 3½ cm thick), pouches, boxes etc.

Thank you for your estimated hard shell case size
However actually having one to measure is rather useful the  sizes are as follows almost 8x4cm  and just a smidging over 2cm thick and this particular Hard Shell has lasted for me well over 12years and still very effective but as I’m not an enthusiast of wearing denim jeans I can not say or indeed wish to
Enthuse the convenience of Watch pockets therein.
It was merely an attempt to assist the original poster in his search for a viable and very effective solution to his search. However the choice is varied and one makes there own decisions.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 12:01:41 PM »
I just gave another option for all those who do wear jeans or any other kind of pants with that little pocket...

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 05:36:55 PM »
For years I have been using a case that also contains my driver's license and registration card, to my complete satisfaction. No problem with accidentally pressing the buttons.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 05:53:10 PM »
I used to use this zipped case for the E, it is a faraday, but there is no way ever a button could be pressed by accident in the pocket. I gave it up because too bulky.

I use this for the E because that key is older than the Jazz and cannot be turned off. It is faraday but very compact in a trouser pocket. Nearly 2 years now and never experienced an accidental button press though a very snug fit.

Both were from eprey or found on amazon. The snug one usually comes in 2s, and I always buy spares because the screening effect only lasts around 6 to 9 months, then the doors will pop open as you approach the car as the effect wears off due to metallised coating wearing away from multiple insertions. No one seems to make a decent pouch with fabric around a micro chain mail bag that would last for ever. Ridiculous lengths you have to go to to avoid relay thefts so easy to carry out. Thefts going through the roof in the UK, 25% increase last year from an already record number.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 09:52:37 AM »
Clip on belt loop. Never lost it. Never an unwanted button press, easy to get at it I do have to press a button. Never gets left in the car. Simples!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Tags: