Author Topic: Econ Mode  (Read 5454 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Econ Mode
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 12:20:34 PM »
One effect of Econ not so far mentioned is that it reduces the amount of time the engine is running in cold weather solely to provide cabin heating by allowing an increased difference between target and actual temperature. For town driving in winter I rely on the heated seats and only turn on the heater if demisting is needed.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 12:23:27 PM »
I have it on all the time but most my driving is urban/suburban. It's very rare I am exceeding 50 mph.

That said I often wonder if it might actually harm mpg in some circumstances. If the lack of throttle response causes frustration, might you over compensate and increase the throttle input more than usual?

I have had it on for so long now I've forgotten what it was like without it. In view of the replies above I'm almost tempted to turn it off and see what happens over, say, a 3 month period.

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
Couldn’t get above 54 mpg with ECON on so I switched it off and it’s gone up slowly. Seems ECON is useless.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 12:59:32 PM »
I like a very 'lazy' throttle response, so to say. It it easier to delicately drive and anticipate optimally, IMO.

Also, a few months ago, I experienced the absolute opposite: I did an anti slip and skid training and 'had to' drive a Mercedes A. I thought they had provided an AMG version; you were unable to gently accelerate, it would immediately go to 3,000 or 4,000 revs and accelerate brutally. It turned out to be a A180 (the Renault 1.3 engine), performance went from 0 to 100% on the first 20% of the throttle, and more throttle would not make any difference at all. Very annoying, but also unsafe!
Maybe that's why some people drive like their hair is on fire... they cannot drive their car any other way.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 01:49:26 PM »
Econ mode.? It makes no difference to fuel economy .. :-X

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 02:07:05 PM »
I have never had a car that accelerated as quickly and drove as economically as this Jazz. It's my 25th car. So I am very satisfied with it and can keep up with any traffic and with economical consumption figures with the Econ mode.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2023, 03:59:02 PM »
Couldn’t get above 54 mpg with ECON on so I switched it off and it’s gone up slowly. Seems ECON is useless.

I'm very curious about the logic of this. Anyone who has a technical explanation for higher consumption when less energy is used for the climate system and the response to the accelerator pedal is reduced?
Or maybe a logical explanation for the opposite is simpler: lower consumption when more energy is used for the climate system and the response to the accelerator pedal is increased?
If nothing goes right, go left!

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2023, 04:12:23 PM »
I tend to switch off econ, as haven’t experienced increased economy with it enabled but switch it on during wintry conditions, as find the decreased throttle response helps prevent wheel spin in slippery conditions, much like the winter mode button on Golf GT TSI.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2023, 06:03:07 PM »
...I bought my car to enjoy it not to eek out every last bit of mpg.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2023, 09:50:47 AM »

I'm very curious about the logic of this. Anyone who has a technical explanation for higher consumption when less energy is used for the climate system and the response to the accelerator pedal is reduced?

Not a technical explanation  but  when I am delicately using the throttle manually the car feels more responsive and  operating at its optimum efficiency. And therefore uses the smallest possible amount of fuel at that moment .   The suppressed throttle control in Econ mode  may be less precise and less efficient.   

This is assuming the driver really is using the most efficient throttle control.  For those who have difficulty with  very delicate throttle control, or dont realise they are not doing it well enough , or dont care anyway  may benefit the most from econ  mode dampening their excesses. 
I am not saying that those who prefer Econ mode throttle response  are lacking in throttle  skill  or self restraint.

Aircon uses quite a lot of energy, econ mode saves you the effort of reducing its use yourself. 

Why dont you see gazelles wearing pyjamas?   It takes more energy sprinting away from lions.   ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2023, 11:48:36 AM »
But now let's assume that the driver is really using the most efficient throttle control, but in Econ mode?

Okay, let's just leave it at that. Honda added a (crappy?) Econ mode to supposedly save fuel.
Manual page 405:
The ECON button turns the ECON mode on and off.
The ECON mode helps you improve your fuel economy by adjusting the
performance of the climate control system and accelerator pedal response.

Some of us believe in it and use it consistently. There are also non-believers who even believe that it has the opposite effect (?) and therefore do not use it.
Fortunately, we are free to choose.

PS Why are zebras wearing pyamas?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 11:53:35 AM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

njf16154

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2023, 11:44:25 AM »
I've been using the Eco mode for the past two years and never really thought about turning it off, as I was happy with the fuel economy and responsiveness. Having read this thread, I decided to turn it off to see if it made much difference. I've just completed a couple of 100 mile journeys. One predominantly on fast A roads and motorways and the other on quieter slower A and B roads. As expected fuel economy was better on the quieter roads (70mpg vs just over 60mpg), but to be quite honest fuel consumption was more or less the same the same as when I'd made the same journeys in Eco mode a few weeks ago. I can't say that I noticed any great change in responsiveness; maybe a slightly faster throttle response, but not dramatic. I'll keep it switched off for a while to see if there is much difference. I guess the heating/cooling hasn't been required much on either journey as it hasn't been particularly cold or hot, so that may make some difference over time.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2023, 12:38:31 PM »
Reading through these responses I am coming more and more round to the view that the main benefit to Econ is in its suppression of Air Con and heating rather than muting the throttle response.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2023, 01:08:40 PM »
It depends if you call it a benefit.

I remember one journey from Malvern to Northolt. In Malvern the car was parked in the shade so not overly hot inside. The outside temp was about 26C and sunny.
Driving down the M40 the car was under full sun and even with the auto Aircon set to 20C the interior refused to budge from uncomfortably hot under the sun because the fan was just at a trickle.
I then turned Econ off and immediately the fan speed shot up and the interior started cooling.

This was evident on all my 8G and 9G Civics and the Jazz has demonstrated the same behaviour.

I've tried Econ a few times on each car and it's failed my testing so I don't use it any more.

But, like every other adjustable feature, if it works for you ........
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzfan49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 jazz 1.5 I-mmd SR Crystal Black
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2023, 10:11:33 PM »
I find that eco mode dulls the throttle response but I use it most of the time, with eco mode off its far more responsive but it’s nice to drive in either mode plus it’s no big issue to switch modes for fast take offs and hilly roads, I drove over 200 miles last week all over the Cotswolds and Derbyshire peaks in eco mode with no problem and 3 heavyweights on board, still recording over 65mpg with A/C on, temperature around 20 deg c and the cabin was very comfortable with plenty of cool air flow to keep us happy.  ;D ;D

Tags:

anything