Author Topic: Manual used, or Automatic new.  (Read 3150 times)

Andy H

• Registered Member
Manual used, or Automatic new.
« on: May 05, 2023, 03:00:59 PM »
Hi.  Newbie here.

I have a problem choosing a Jazz. And though you guys and gals will be the experts.  The question may seem a strange or a stupid one to many.  But has me undecided,

The choice is between a 2018 / 2019  manual. Or a new 2023 Hybrid (Automatic).  My problem is that I have never driven an automatic.   For many years I just drove a 3 ½ ton transit, often close to its weight limit (no car), though I did have two civic’s  in the 80’s and 90’s.  It became second nature to always apply the handbrake when stopped on a hill, or at lights etc.  Where I live, I have to go up a steep hill to a roundabout, wait, then turn left or right.  But there is no conventional handbrake in a Jazz automatic, I know there is an electric handbrake, but I haven’t a clue how that is used by people.

So my question is.   How do people (with the Jazz automatic) cope stopping at the top of a steep hill.   Is the hill assist (which I’ve never had) that good,  or do people use the electric handbrake the same way a manual is used, or does one need to play with the accelerator to keep the car from going backwards, or do people just keep the foot on the brakes.   The last two I don’t fancy doing.

Like I say, most will probably think its a daft question,  But, I’ve been driving a manual car / van for about forty five years, and have no clue about automatics.

Thanks

Andy.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Manual used, or Automatic new.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 03:38:33 PM »
My solution :

You pull up on the footbrake and lift the electronic lever which is like the old handbrake. Then you can take your feet off the pedals. Hover over the accelerator if you like.

Then when you're ready to move off all you do is press the accelerator. Sort of like driving off with the handbrake on so you don't roll backwards, but, the 'handbrake' is automatically released so no rollback.

There is Brake Hold but I've never used it as it leaves the brake lights on.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 03:54:46 PM »
I drove manuals for 25 years and then automatics for 25 years. The auto wins hands down. The new electric drive technology of the Jazz is the way to go. Improved driving experience and improved mpg. There is no contest.

Bruceboss

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz crosstar EX 2022
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 04:34:14 PM »
My second automatic, wouldn’t go back to manual I’ve lost the muscle memory in my left leg now so no fine control on the clutch. I use Brake hold never had a problem

SouthernExile

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 4 SR Crystal Black (70 Reg)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 04:41:58 PM »
I have driven an automatic almost exclusively for 35 years although I have a licence for manual.

First of all, don't overthink the difference between the hybrid Jazz and other automatics. The driving experience isn't much different for this particular aspect even though the Jazz strictly speaking has no gearbox at all.

If having to hold stationary at the top of a steep hill, your choices really depend to some extent on circumstances, eg whether you expect to be there for more than a few seconds:

a. if you'll be moving off soon then it is sufficient to just have the footbrake depressed with your right foot. The car will stay 'balanced' on the slope quite well with gentle pressure on the accelerator instead, but this isn't really good practice, I suppose

b. If it's a bit longer you could then, as mentioned in a previous reply, press the 'Brake hold' button and take your foot off the pedal, which keeps the brakes applied. But although I used to use this quite a lot, I don't much now because if you forget to cancel it and apply the accelerator, the car will move off but the light showing the system is on remains and it becomes tiresome

c. So instead, if you are going to be a while just use the handbrake. This is purely electronic but a noise is generated when it is applied and un-applied. As mentions it cancels when the accelerator is pressed but I am an old fogey and press it down to cancel it anyway.

If there isn't much traffic when you are approaching the roundabout you mention you may find that despite the hill you don't need to use the brakes at all, if you are in B mode, as the regenerative braking on that will make it easier to approach the roundabout in a way that enables you to time it with a gap.  Using B mode takes a little while to get used to, but is very helpful in urban traffic (and also reduces brake wear).

One other thing I would say is that the Jazz is very compliant and smooth. There is no need for jerky, hasty driving. It works best (and is most economical) when driven with a very light touch.

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 04:46:37 PM »
I asked people the same questions before I bought my new Jazz last Sept - I just couldn't get my head around how automatics worked!
An American friend who had grown up driving them just said to me "don't worry about how it works, it just does!"

I use brake hold - you activate this feature at the start of each journey (little button to press). Whenever you then come to a stop, it activated an electronic brake hold, and you can take your foot off the brake. Apparently it will hold for about 10 minutes.

As also mentioned, you can use the electronic "hand" brake as and when you need to, in much the same way as in a manual you pull up the hand brake- again, a conveniently placed button to use. When you then want to go, the difference is you do not need to press/lift it to release, but instead as you gently press the accelerator you glide off in a very serene fashion!

I had 32 years driving manuals, but now after 8 months of an auto I would never go back.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 05:15:09 PM »
... Peas brake hold as soon as you're in the car and pulling away as it's off by default for the current Jazz. When you come to the roundabout at the the top of the hill you can come to a complete stop if necessary and the car won't budge as the brake hold is on.
If you are able to go straight away then just accelerate and go. If you need to wait you can just stay with the brake hold on ( as mentioned brake lights will stay on so will affect people behind you if dark and/or rainy)
or just apply the electronic hand brake.
The car will dip in the same way as a normal hand brake would as the road isn't level.
Then when ready to pull away just accelerate.

You'll get used to it quickly.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 06:30:22 PM »
For me there's no doubt which to choose as the hybrid drivetrain makes driving so much more pleasant. There are features such as hill start assist to prevent rolling back and if you have applied the parking brake then it will be automatically released when power is applied to move forwards.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Andy H

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 06:54:43 PM »
Thanks you to everyone for kindly replying.  You sure have set my mind at ease.   And good to know people like the Automatic version of the Jazz.

Having never owned a 'new' car before,  I did fancy buying a new Jazz, and after reading your comments.
 I think its time I did.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 09:18:03 PM »
The two cars are chalk and cheese!

I say that, having owned the previous version, which I had for 3 years, and then bought my current EX model.

I (luckily) , back in May 22, got a deal , which I don’t think is available now. It included a 5 year guarantee, with 5 year servicing, if you took a 5k Honda loan. If you can find a 20/21/22 model that the first owner, had a package on, that would be transferred to you.

As a driver not in a rush to get anywhere ahead of a BMW driver, I am  happy at 60 ish on the motorway.
My driving is 70% town.

I don’t know of anyone, who has gone from a “proper” auto car, back to a manual.

Just a snapshot of my thoughts, others may vary.

I always use B for driving in towns and down steepish hills, which is like 3rd gear.
Use D for motorways and dual carriageways.
Forget everything to do with the handbrake; if I am holding the car using the foot brake, on quite a decent ascent, then in the half a second it takes to pivot over to the accelerator, the car will not roll back, and better still, you will be 20 feet ahead of the car behind, who is slowly releasing his clutch!

Some folks on here use B all the time, others D all the time. Move between the two on the move, you choose.

Over 3 years in the MK3 , it averaged 54 mpg....I “suffered” approx £1000 depreciation.
Over 1 year in the MK4, it has averaged 72 mpg, I hope they don’t bugger it up, when it’s in for service!

The only thing that rankles, is that the “boring black” that I bought, is quite soft in the paint department.
But I could not see the value in a more pleasing colour.

Good luck with your choice.....don’t forget to let us know!

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 10:23:52 PM »
I have not changed gear manually for 25 years, once you start diving automatic you won't want to go back.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 10:54:49 PM »
I have not changed gear manually for 25 years, once you start diving automatic you won't want to go back.

Me to  :D :D

Bruceboss

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz crosstar EX 2022
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 11:19:45 PM »

Having never owned a 'new' car before,  I did fancy buying a new Jazz, and after reading your comments.
 I think its time I did.

Go for it, you wont regret it and will be amazed at the effortless experience that driving a Jazz is  ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2023, 05:15:34 AM »
The other thing with autos is that you can get a far better comfy seating position as you don't have to be flooring a clutch pedal.
Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2023, 08:53:20 AM »
Auto, and the Hybrid technology is a win win. I had never had an auto before, and like you we (the wife) were very nervous about it. Within a week we wondering why we hadn't done it sooner. Effortless driving, easy to get a very comfy seat position and the whole experience makes for a stressless driving experience. As to hills etc, just treat it like you are used to..foot brake, hand brake, wait. The beauty of the Jazz electronic hand brake is you don't have to manually release it when you want to move forward, just apply the accelerator and off you go.

Tags:

anything