Author Topic: a/c condensor damage  (Read 1210 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
a/c condensor damage
« on: September 28, 2022, 06:47:14 PM »
i was just touching up some stone chips on the front and was shocked the amount of damaged and missing fins on the a/c condensor radiator at the lower air entrance of the front bumper, for a car that has ony 21k on the clock and never tailgates, i think the holes in the black plastic grills are way to big and let in too much stones and debris

anyone else notice this damage on thier a/c condensor radiator?

the a/c is still runs fine

thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:19:38 PM by monkeydave »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: a/c condensor damage
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 10:00:27 PM »
There's a good post about this damage & a solution using stainless square from a place in Warrington, just can't remember the name. A quick search should produce a hit.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 01:03:47 AM »
and it seems to be full of dirt on the sides further up towards the top, i really dont want to use a jet wash on this as it might be to much power just to dislodge the crud and make it free flowing again, maybe just a hosepipe might do it through the front grill as i dont want to take the bumper off the car to get to it and i dont want to damage the temp sensor on the passenger side
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 01:06:51 AM by monkeydave »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 08:14:59 AM »
I fitted a cheap aluminium grid to my Jazz per an article here. Stops all damage.
Hose out all radiator fins when wash car.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 10:12:20 AM »
same here on my 2018, 30k miles

Luckily it was replaced under extended warranty , it had a slight leak from the pipe joint but I've never seen a condenser in such a state for the mileage.

olduser1

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 10:58:08 AM »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Let's be careful out there !

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 01:27:04 PM »
thanks guys, glad im not the only one to have a few fins missing on the bottom row, what is the sort of price from honda for a replacement if needed in the future if anyone has had to pay for replacement?

i knew those holes in the bumper were too big, can you imagine the new bmw with their really open grille

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 01:33:05 PM by monkeydave »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 02:19:42 PM »
25mm square mesh may give some  reassurance  you are protected from larger stones etc,  but I suspect a direct hit  from something heavy enough to cause a refrigerant leak  may still be able to  burst through, more often than not. I suppose every little bit helps. .   I'd be more convinced if someone testify ,,or produce photographic evidence  of a significant stone  'strike' that was prevented. Anything it has been able to stop  would probably have left marks or distortion on the mesh.

It looks to me that most of the blockages and fin flattening is due to insect strikes  and airborne vegetation, much of which would still get through a 25mm mesh.  Anything fine enough to protect from these could  seriously impede airflow through the radiator. 

I would be very cautious of trying to clear the fins  with a power washer , or even a hose, or airline.   These can easily flatten the very delicate fins, and in some cases might have been what actually caused some of the flattening in the first place.

Maybe a  blowing them out, ideally from behind, using a photographers dust blower  (a squeezy rubber bulb)  might work, with a bit of delicate  manual clearance   and fin straightening.  But it would be extremely tedious. >:( 

You can buy bug removal spray.  I dont know if this might speed  up  the decay of insect remains.    Perhaps some of this and gentle washing will help. 

I looked at the Wickes site  .Their site analysts   have spotted a recent  surge in interest in the product. ;D
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 01:48:37 AM »
I fitted a cheap aluminium grid to my Jazz per an article here. Stops all damage.
Hose out all radiator fins when wash car.

what article ?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012

olduser1

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »
This is the place which does the stainless mesh, give them a call
https://themeshcompany.com/

Tags: