Author Topic: Oil and fuel on spark plug  (Read 1039 times)

ESOblivious

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 SE CVT
Oil and fuel on spark plug
« on: April 15, 2022, 09:17:58 PM »
So I changed my 2005 1.4 I-DSI spark plugs yesterday.  Most of them (and the coil packs) were clean when they came out.  But 3 of them look suspect to my amateur eyes.  I'll attach some pictures.

Front left corner - Little bit of oil on the logo area.  Burnt on brittle oil deposit on the coil pack lip.

Back right corner - Pretty much the same, but more oil and further up the plug.  Coil pack fine.

One in from back right corner - Covered in oil and stinks of fuel.  Coil pack so saturated the tip has turned from pink to orange!  The spark plug socket was dripping with an oily petrol smelling mix when it came out.

Any ideas what's gone wrong here?  Car seems to run well enough.  Few white puffs and a rich smell if you rev it off a cold start, but drive it around and it seems clean.  Can't smell fuel in the cabin, or even in the engine bay normally.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Oil and fuel on spark plug
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 03:58:33 PM »
That is clean engine oil that has dribbled down the back. Perhaps the rocker cover gasket had a leak at some time after the plugs were put in. The front left is common. All it takes is a little overflow/splashing when topping/filling up the engine oil. Wash everything off with petrol and you should be fine.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 10:30:43 PM »
Just look like they have been left in a good few years without servicing In my opinion.

I take mine out each year to gap and clean. It surprising how just 0.5mm can make a difference.
I give a quick wire brush then a gentler brass brush over. Then a clean with alcohol gel or thinners.

Also a good tip is to reset the ecu so it has to re learn fuel trims, and while your at the very top of engine in that location, unscrew the map sensor and give a quick squirt of carb cleaner type stuff, I find it stabilisers the idling a bit more if you keep it clean.

It's the little bosh sensor near no.8 spark plug.

ESOblivious

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 02:37:28 PM »
Thanks chaps.  Hopefully not much to worry about, any ideas about the fuel smell though? It was very strong.  Plugs seemed pretty well cranked down.  Took more effort than I expected to crack them off.

Also a good tip is to reset the ecu so it has to re learn fuel trims, and while your at the very top of engine in that location, unscrew the map sensor and give a quick squirt of carb cleaner type stuff, I find it stabilisers the idling a bit more if you keep it clean.

It's the little bosh sensor near no.8 spark plug.

Will do both of these ta.  I assume just taking the battery off for a bit will reset the ECU?

Tags: