Author Topic: Variable servicing setting  (Read 3731 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Variable servicing setting
« on: March 15, 2022, 06:04:16 AM »
Having discovered that the oil wasn’t changed at the first variable service, I’m having the system disabled by the dealer.

Looking at the servicing schedule in the book, it seems that the oil is only changed maybe every second variable service.

My oil at over 11k miles was already dark and smelly, so if you plan to keep the car a long time you might want to have the dealer disable your variable servicing.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Variable servicing setting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 07:31:37 AM »
I'm not happy with it in the UK, especially if they follow the onboard computer guide.

Mine will be going in every August as I'm low mileage.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 09:55:11 AM »
That’s best - I’d never buy a secondhand Honda now that had been on the variable service schedule.

It’s fine if you change your car every few years, but doesn’t look good for long term ownership.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 04:01:30 PM »
First time ive ever heard of a car going in for service and not having the oil changed.  is that for real.  as SPORTSE said, that'll kill used values if thats really the case.  cant be - surely  :o

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 04:24:52 PM »
I thought variable servicing usually involved early oil changes.

Mainly aimed at hot and dusty climates.
Let's be careful out there !

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 04:27:16 PM »
...The variable servicing on the Mk2 I had didn't always include an oil change as a 'service' wasn't always a service!  :o

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 05:30:38 PM »
I've never had a service before where the oil wasn't changed each time, so was shocked when I checked the oil level at the weekend... and was surprised to find dirty oil that hadn't been changed!

I then went back through the paperwork for the 'service' and found that there was no entry for new oil. Also, the variable service checklist attached seems to say that the oil is only changed every second variable service.

That's what made me change to a fixed service plan - the variable time display in the car hasn't been much use, going up and down depending on how many miles you have been doing recently.

Even after being 'serviced' the time to next 'service' was still going up and down within weeks and would have been many thousands of miles more before the oil change.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:38:35 PM by sportse »

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 05:36:34 PM »
First time ive ever heard of a car going in for service and not having the oil changed.  is that for real.  as SPORTSE said, that'll kill used values if thats really the case.  cant be - surely  :o

Yes, it's the first time I've ever had a car service without an oil change.

It was a main dealer under the Honda 5 year servicing plan.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 07:13:08 PM »

Now I understand the attractive pricing of that 5 year servicing plan...
If nothing goes right, go left!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 10:07:10 PM »
I don't recall telling my dealer that I didn't want variable servicing but it might well have come up and been crossed off very quickly as I reckon it's easier for both me and the dealer if I take the car once a year for its service (I never clock up enough miles to need more than once per year). I've got the Honda service plan so it's a matter of following the regular service schedule and ending the bill to Honda.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Variable servicing setting
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 08:05:08 AM »

Now I understand the attractive pricing of that 5 year servicing plan...
Yes, I’d originally thought it was good value.

On many of my previous cars an interim service was £250 and a full service £350, and the oil was changed every time.

Apart from my trade in for the Jazz, a Volvo V40 hatchback, which was over £300 for an interim and nearly £550 for a full service! Underneath it was just a plain Ford Focus with a Volvo badge.

If the jazz is on pcp and you are handing it back after 3/4 years with a fairly low mileage the variable servicing doesn’t matter as the car should last that long.

However , I intend to run mine up to the 90k mile warranty limit, which will likely be 5 years, so don’t want any issues.

I am also fed up of trips to dealers, so only want to go there for a service once every 12 months/12.5k miles.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 08:52:33 AM by sportse »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 03:40:43 PM »
Have I got this right.  The cars variable servicing  computer says you need a service. You go to a lot of trouble  taking it to a dealer, and they are quite  likely to decide   "nope, false alarm ,the oil is still  ok for a while ,Maybe next time. " 
A real pita even if the cost is covered by a servicing plan.

Fair enough if the system sometimes  allows high mileage drivers to actually exceed  12500 miles under ideal ,oil friendly ,conditions.

My car was set to annual servicing from new.   Oil and filter change at 12500 miles  or annually, whichever comes first.  Whether it needs it or not. :P    I doubt many of us need it more frequently.  Having said that my white car is currently a shade of desert sand. 8)    I think my dealer said thats now the default due to numerous complaints.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »
Have I got this right.  The cars variable servicing  computer says you need a service. You go to a lot of trouble  taking it to a dealer, and they are quite  likely to decide   "nope, false alarm ,the oil is still  ok for a while ,Maybe next time. " 
A real pita even if the cost is covered by a servicing plan.

Yes, I got a big full screen warning message on the dashboard pop up when I was driving 'service due'...

Booked it in and they performed the service the car said (a B service apparently)...

When I got the car back I happened to be looking through the onboard service menu and it said 120 days until you need to bring it back!!

Then checked the oil and found it was dirty and hadn't been changed.

Going through the paperwork it looks like there are A services which are oil changes and B services which are inspections - you would assume that both would be done together, but under this new variable servicing schedule they aren't.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 12:23:48 PM »
The onboard service reminder lists:

A service - oil change

B service - chassis inspection

So it’s likely that people take their car in for its first annual ‘service’ and may actually not get the oil changed under the variable servicing system.

Something to double check when your car goes in.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2022, 08:29:25 AM »
Looks like it’s not just Honda scrimping on servicing now.

I’ve heard of someone with a new Dacia where the oil wasn’t changed either at the first 12k mile service.

Tags: