Author Topic: Crosstar noise  (Read 4363 times)

Derek cranage

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz crosstar
Crosstar noise
« on: December 03, 2021, 09:50:10 AM »
I am 80 years old had a Merc B200 which I have sold and have a Crosstar on order.
We have a Aygo for around town and the Crosstar will be, as my wife puts it, a high days and holidays car. It will normally have 2 people and some times plus luggage I am not a heavy driver although some times will accelerate quickly.
Where I live 1 mile from M1 junction I will start off on the motorway up a fairly long and steep hill. And I am very concerned with the test reports of the engine making a din in these situations.
I did test drive one on this hill and the engine screamed in high revs but at the time I was playing with the cruise control and may have had in the speed limit setting that had been preset at a lot lower speed.
Can anyone put any light on how bad the noise is, as I am considering if I should be cancelling my order because of this.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Crosstar noise
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 11:50:52 AM »
Honestly, it's no louder than any ordinary car in foot-to-the-floor conditions.

At other times, you can barely hear the engine.

Derek cranage

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »
Thanks, do you think the engine burst in revs was because I was playing with cruse control/ speed limiter.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 12:45:09 PM »
I think you've inadvertently answered your own question.

During your test drive did 'you' find it too noisy ?

If you're not sure get another test.
Let's be careful out there !

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 12:49:48 PM »
I cannot comment on the potential problem but understand your concern.
I would suggest that you ask your dealer to take your for a demonstration drive under instruction from you as a passenger to replicate the situation you are concerned about. If a smooth, quiet drive is achieved then ask to try the same situation again with you driving under the dealer's instructions.
You will then be able to assess if there is a problem for yourself as you will never get peace of mind by relying on a 3rd party opinion.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 01:41:36 PM »
I would not worry, although a further test might allay your concerns. 

A lot of road testers talk in cliches and repeat nonsense.  When testing the non hybrid Jazz CVT, many testers cannot resist talking about the "rubber band effect".  This carries over to the Crosstar, where testers often complain about CVT characteristics, although it doesn't have a CVT.

Many testers just don't seem to accept that CVT cars have different characteristics from manual cars and from torque converter automatics and also that the Crosstar, with an electric motor charged by the engine is different again.

I don't find the car noisy generally. 

Derek cranage

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 04:42:23 PM »
Thanks.
I found the car quite except in this instance. Problem is the M1 hill is a long way from the dealer. But I will see what I can do. I like the car and my wife who is 4 ft 10 inch tall can see to drive it although cannot see out very well from the passenger seat which is not height adjustable. This factor has put a lot of other hybrid SUVs out of the consideration.
The car itself meets all my requirements but I cannot stand excessive noise in cars.
My auto Merc (diesel) was very quite on runs but had noise at tick over and in town work
I know that a editor of several car magazines has put his father in a Crosstar and says he would not have put him anything that was excessively noisy
Just interesting to hear Crosstar owners if they find it noisy on long motorway hills
Thanks to every one for answering

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 07:14:11 PM »
While the battery can provide a short power boost, the Honda engine needs revs in order to meet a sustained demand for substantial power. Motorway hills are relatively flat and the Crosstar will handle them without noticeable fuss but if you are accelerating at the same time the engine gets into the zone where the noise is noticeable. I've never considered this to be a reason for buyer's remorse. The overall design objective is to achieve class-leading fuel economy which means keeping the engine fairly small and having to work fairly hard on occasions. Also, Honda aren't particularly generous with sound proofing due to encroachment on cabin space and added weight. My philosophy is that let the engine run in noisy mde when necessary to achieve progress but take the first opportunity to revert to quiet mode.

Here's a very useful video which explains the design philosophy .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 04:01:14 AM »
I've never had a situation where the engine is 'screaming' as frequently highlighted by some magazine journos.

Their reports are like they are deliberately trying to downplay what is a very good car and therefore serious competition to their advertisers.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 08:48:48 AM »
I've never had a situation where the engine is 'screaming' as frequently highlighted by some magazine journos.

Their reports are like they are deliberately trying to downplay what is a very good car and therefore serious competition to their advertisers.

The only situation where I've felt the Jazz Mk4 could be more refined is with ACC. If for example, after setting a speed of 70 mph the car decelerates (because of another car coming into your lane) then, once road is clear and the Jazz is able to return to 70, it does so by going - what sounds like - full throttle.

So it's an unpleasant change, primarily because the car is such a refined motorway cruiser in all other respects. Likely, better throttle mapping / software changes could dial back on the rate that ACC comes back up to the set speed (which would be ideal). But certainly if ACC is off, then I've had no issues like that.

A "trick" to make acceleration even more seamless is to use ECO mode. Yes, it dulls the power a but, bit going between full EV mode to hybrid mode is smoother once you reach a certain speed.

I agree, definitely have another test drive. But in videos / articles where "screaming" is mentioned, it's only because - against a backdrop of the Jazz being VERY quiet 90% of the time - the 10% (with the ACC example I gave above) comes as a bit of a shock initially.

And those comments apply to A-road / motorway driving speeds, not to driving in town (where things are always pretty hushed).

I do my love my Crosstar and even the above 10% does not detract from the fact that it's an extremely clever and well-engineered car. Its competitors seem dull in comparison, especially when it comes to practicality!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:02:53 PM by Jayt43 »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 09:00:30 AM »
To repeat the same message: once you get used to the car it will accelerate quickly without thrashing the engine. Just picture the engine charging the drive battery * rather than driving the wheels.

* Yes, I now, the engine does drive the wheels at higher speeds but I believe it's helpful to think of it recharging the drive battery.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:17:49 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 09:24:36 AM »
Noise! What noise?
I can't comment on comparison with manual Jazz cars, as all my previous cars have been CVT.
However, in my opinion the Mk4 Jazz/Crosstar is much quieter overall and quieter than the CVT when pushed.

You are going to hear any car, manual or auto when pushed hard, with a relatively small engine, its the only way to get the required power.

After 5 months ownership and 6k miles, I still thinks its the best Jazz yet.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 11:33:30 AM »
You can make great progress without too much noise.

The petrol station I use is at the bottom of a 70mph hill & you start from stopped on the tiny slip road.

If you floor it, it will Rev up and make noise until you are going 70 and back off, then it’s quiet.

But you can get 80% of the acceleration without much noise by using only 1/4 -1/2 accelerator pressed quickly.

I think it’s programmed to give you 80% performance as that’s most efficient.

If you floor it from 50mph there is a delay, whereas if you use the 1/4-1/2 accelerator it starts accelerating almost straight away.

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »
I have had a crosstar for over a year now. I usually have the radio on -just enough to be comfortable and be able to converse with the lady wife as we travel around. It drowns out the engine noise - unless I really put my foot to the floor. Don't worry about the "engine noise"  - its no worse - if not less than my previous Hondas.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 01:18:48 PM »
I usually have the radio on -just enough to be comfortable and be able to converse with the lady wife as we travel around. It drowns out the engine noise.

The radio or the lady wife ?  ;D

Tags: