Author Topic: Dash Cam Hardwire Earth Point 2012 Jazz  (Read 1273 times)

BobT36

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 MK2 ES
Dash Cam Hardwire Earth Point 2012 Jazz
« on: December 01, 2021, 01:02:30 AM »
Hi all, I have a 2012 Jazz. I'm hard-wiring in a Nextbase dash cam to the fuse box under the steering wheel, and have two questions:
1. Which is the most suitable fuse? I was thinking of using the "cig lighter" one. Is there a fuse that turns on ONLY when the ignition is fully started, as opposed to when the accessories come on? It's fine if not. (I'm aware not to use an "always-on" fuse).

2. What is the most suitable eating point? (For the forked "U" style black lead). This needs to go under a screw or bolt that connects to bare metal, however I only see BIG bolts under there, and most don't connect to metal.
saw in a video some dude somehow routed his to the passenger side, however someone else mentioned there's apparently a suitable bolt under the panel that covers the headlight angle switch / bonnet lever? Need a bit of advice on this.

Bear in mind I'm an amateur at car fiddling and don't have any electrical testers or anything, so try not to get too technical! :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Dash Cam Hardwire Earth Point 2012 Jazz
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 02:31:32 PM »
I just plugged mine into the Aux/Cigarette lighter socket. Only comes on with the ignition and no hassles to connect up. Nextbase even comes with the necessary plug/power supply and cable.

BobT36

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 11:39:49 PM »
Ahh, I'll probably do the same if no fuse exists that only comes on when the car actually starts (is this IG2, rather than ACC?)

What earth point did you use though? I couldn't really see any good ones under the driver's dash. As I mentioned someone in the other thread with a MK1 said there's apparently a good bolt behind the bonnet lever cover, but I'm unsure if that's also there on the MK2, and as I'm not a car enthusiast, I'm a bit loathe to start randomly ripping bits off. :D

I do have the Nextbase Hardwire kit so I have all the connectors needed (besides a mini fuse rather than micro, but that's not hard to find).

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »
When using  piggy back fuses you should avoid using any fuse slot that is related to safety  or would prevent the car from being driven should any problems arise. 

Its a good idea to buy a basic multimeter.  They have so  many uses around the home and in the car car you will soon wonder how you ever  managed without one.    £8 -£9 in Halfords are ok  and you can find the same design cheaper still on line.

you dont need any great electrical knowledge to use some functions .

0-20 volts DC range will allow you to check whether aa and aaa batteries  really need replacement, the  state of charge of car batteries, alternator efficiency, whether fuses are constant or ignition  (they have 2 tiny brass contacts exposed on the top so you can test for voltage without removal ) etc etc

Ohms resistance range allows you to check for continuity to find broken wires, poor electrical contacts , blown fuses, blown light bulbs, find good  earthing points etc

I have saved many pounds over the years  by detecting and fixing poor contacts  in battery consumer goods, such as torches, remote controls, wireless mouse, etc etc.  which might have otherwise been thrown away , or had batteries replaced unnecessarily.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 12:42:49 PM »
Got to agree.

Not an everyday tool but worth it's weight.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 02:37:50 PM »
If you plug it onto the Aux socket that provides the necessary earth.

BobT36

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 09:30:21 PM »
If you plug it onto the Aux socket that provides the necessary earth.
Ahhh sorry I didn't click on you said you "plugged it" in to the socket. Thought you meant you hard-wired it to the fuse for it.

Yeah I don't wanna plug it in as I don't want dangly wires. I've wired up the rear cam all through the roof lining already, now just need to do the power, but the hard-wire kit wants it connected to a live fuse (I can sort that), and it needs the forked black wire to be fixed under a bolt that's touching bare metal. Wondering where the best place for that is since of course under the driver's dash there's only BIG bolts, most of them don't touch bare metal, and I probably don't wanna loosen them.

Cheers for the recommendation on multi-meters.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 02:28:13 PM »
Although  a good earth is important  I wouldnt take the 'touching bare metal'  too literally.    The main thing is to avoid a bolt thats screwed into something thats insulated from the car body earth  , for instance because its made of plastic.

a satnav probably draws less than 2 amps.  If you can find any clean bright metal  bolt that  somehow finds good continuity to  earth that should be fine.  (a multimeter helps here   ;) )    Things that draw a lot of amps will need more care.

If you need to use a bolt thats painted over or a bit corroded  or makes contact with painted metall  use a shake proof washer with external teeth . These jagged teeth bite  into paintwork down to bare metal.
Like these   https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-steel-shakeproof-washers-m5-x-0-6mm-100-pack/518FT?tc=OA1&ds_kid=92700048793290424&ds_rl=1249413&gclid=CjwKCAiAwKyNBhBfEiwA_mrUMo6X3JMRMk_m0-tmx_poDcxfpzAjbbOUyW42NgZ1Y8CiR1q6vd4TBBoCLtIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  Best not use them on a bolt that needs to be torqued down tight.

If you cant find a suitable bolt , look for brackets ,  internal bodywork bracing etc that have a good earth (multimeter  ;))    Such things often have  unused holes punched that could be utilised with a nut,bolt and shakeproof washer. If all else fails  it might be suitable for you to drill a hole.  (If safe)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 02:38:53 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything