Author Topic: Cross climate or winter tyres. Snow socks or chains?  (Read 2288 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Cross climate or winter tyres. Snow socks or chains?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »
Another vote for all season winter legal tyres..  I have  Goodyear vector 4 season on my Yaris and get good performance all year round . (Not yet on my Jazz)   They are winter legal  (Snow flake in a mountain symbol)  .Most all- season tyres are now winter rated ,   but not all tyres that are M+S rated (mud and snow) are winter legal. To qualify they must also remain flexible at cold temperatures.

To remain winter legal, and be of any use in snow , they must have a minimum of 4mm tread  , although you can have less tread in summer etc. . (-with all seasons.  Its not advisable to use full winter tyres in the summer. I think it may be illegal in Belgium)  On the plus side winter tyres usually come with 9mm of tread rather than the usual 8mm,  but this may not  always be true for all-seasons.   Tyre experts recommend replacing tyres at 3mm anyway.

Although some countries  will accept summer tyres with snow chains as a legal alternative  its not really practical.   Its better to have the correct tyres for the possible conditions, not just come  prepared to exploit a loop hole in the law.      Some countries require you to carry snow chains anyway.  I have  a set of, cheap ,'get you out of trouble in an emergency 'ones . I doubt they would last many miles. Often sold quite cheaply in supermarkets  in those  countries. I've never needed to use mine, The pass would probably be closed anyway if it got that bad. Some of the higher alpine passes are closed october to may  anyway, sometimes longer.

In Germany ,and possibly elsewhere you must always have the correct tyres for the road conditions.  Even if it snows in July.  (I have driven in snow in June,July and August)  Thats why  all-seasons are now so popular and advanced.

One possible solution if your summer tyres are still quite new.  Have all seasons fitted but keep possession of  the summer tyres.  Then if your all seasons wear out , or you are selling the car but want to keep the all season tyres you have the option of swopping back.     (Possibly free fitting when buying tyres , maybe £50 for all 4 to swop back  )  Depending on expected mileage this may save you from having to buy new tyres  just before selling the car or its last MOT in your ownership.

Unless of course you buy a set of rims and have two sets of wheels.  I find they seem to last for ever when  you do this.  If running two sets of wheels its a good idea to check the tyres date of manufacture.  They might start aging and cracking before they actually wear out their tread.   Some on line tyre sellers will guarantee recent manufacture but may charge extra.

But dont just buy 2 winter/all seasons for the front.  This is dangerous.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:12:32 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 05:20:06 PM »
One possible solution if your summer tyres are still quite new.  Have all seasons fitted but keep possession of  the summer tyres.  Then if your all seasons wear out , or you are selling the car but want to keep the all season tyres you have the option of swopping back.     (Possibly free fitting when buying tyres , maybe £50 for all 4 to swop back  )  Depending on expected mileage this may save you from having to buy new tyres  just before selling the car or its last MOT in your ownership.

Unless of course you buy a set of rims and have two sets of wheels.  I find they seem to last for ever when  you do this.  If running two sets of wheels its a good idea to check the tyres date of manufacture.  They might start aging and cracking before they actually wear out their tread.   Some on line tyre sellers will guarantee recent manufacture but may charge extra.

As I have an EX with the 16" tyres and because I'd rather have had 15"s would a good option be to change the complete set-up to 15" all seasons and, on selling, change everything back to the 16" set-up with the standard tyres, which would be almost new...??  Wonder how much cost might be.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 06:51:06 PM »
Then if your all seasons wear out , or you are selling the car but want to keep the all season tyres you have the option of swapping back

My Cross-Climates were wonderful in terms of wear. On the car for 4 years (around 40,000 miles) and likely good for another 3-4 (not taking into account they'd be 8 year old tyres). Worth every penny!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:36:23 PM by Jayt43 »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »

As I have an EX with the 16" tyres and because I'd rather have had 15"s would a good option be to change the complete set-up to 15" all seasons and, on selling, change everything back to the 16" set-up with the standard tyres, which would be almost new...??  Wonder how much cost might be.

It depends.  I only researched for the mk4 EX  and wanted to keep to 185/60/R15 as used on Mk 4's with 15" wheels, as a replacement for the original 185/55/R16 .  There is a big price difference.  IIRC Michelin Cross climates  are about £120 each  in 16" (Goodyear  Vectors not made in that size) , but only about £80 for the same tyre  or a Goodyear  in 15"  , plus a big choice of even cheaper but still well regarded brands.
But this is a Mk3 thread. MK3  sizes and prices may be completely different with less of a price hike. 

With wheels I wanted to keep to 15" ,6J rim width, and an offset ET  of about 45.  Plus the correct bolt pattern of 100x4 and centre bore hole of 56.1 mm.  Again Mk 3 Jazz may have a bigger choice and availablity of new and used rims . I wasnt sure if Mk3 wheels will fit a mk4 

I considered alternatives of  used rims from a 4 stud civic from the early 2000's,about £30 each  , new after market  steel rims for about £48 inch    and after market alloys  from about  £ 80 -£90 each.     New or nearly new  original Mk4 Honda 15" wheels would probably be outside my budget.(I cant guarantee any particular wheel is going to fit. I havnt researched it fully yet. )

I will probably go for the after market alloys. I can wait till next winter.  There is a 6J et 45 version  with oversize universal bore, which is adjusted to 56.1 size with removable spigots.  This means with different sized spigots the wheels will fit a larger range of cars, (including my Yaris)..  This increases the chances they will also fit my next car, or if I need to sell them there will be more potential buyers.     Some on line tyre retailers do wheel/tyre packages with the tyres ready fitted and balanced. Thats where I saw these wheels. They have a TUV  certificate for fitment to the Jazz.
One advantage of the Jazz is it uses standard, cheap, tyre valves , not expensive tyre pressure  monitor sensors. 

So with old rims and a slightly budget option on tyres it could be under £400,  but  decent tyres and attractive after market alloys maybe £640, or less if you shop around.   But you could probably get the difference in price back if you sell them later. 

Although All seasons are great all year round, if I had two sets of wheels I would probably put the summer ones on in summer anyway. I doubt you would get much more for the car selling it with Brand new tyres.You might as well get some wear out of them.  On the other hand keeping the original wheels pristine and undamaged might add to value. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:37:05 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 12:56:56 AM »
I run a set of Maxxis PremitraAP3 all season on both my Jazz and Seat Ibiza. We had a bit of snow early this year and they were great and safe. Most of all they are excellent value compare to other brands.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 09:55:35 PM »
Just watched this youtube review of all-season tyres. Excellent review, well presented, and interestingly he gives 2 conclusions, one for those requiring serious snow use and one for those more likely to get cold wet winters with occasional snow (UK type weather).
It was in conjunction with Goodyear so the ultimate outcome might not be a great surprise, but exceptionally well balanced and explained video.

Tags:

anything