Author Topic: Spare Bulbs for Mk.4  (Read 1208 times)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
Spare Bulbs for Mk.4
« on: October 05, 2021, 11:20:20 AM »
Hopefully going to France in next months.  I think I'd like, or am even required, to have spare bulbs with me.  Any idea what particular ones I should take and from where (EuroCarParts?)  Thanks.

sportse

• Approved Member
Spare Bulbs for Mk.4
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 11:44:34 AM »
They are all LED in mine, non user replaceable, apart from the rear indicators and reversing lights.

Honda dealers can get you some spares, but on mine they told me that there could be one of two different types fitted depending on what bulb the factory put in when the car was made.

The headlights are level beam I believe, which means you won’t need headlight beam adjusters.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: Spare Bulbs for Mk.4
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 01:43:00 PM »
So, if stopped by continental traffic police, would the driver be in trouble for not carrying spare headlamp units?
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 02:57:48 PM »
Let's be careful out there !

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 07:05:08 PM »
Would the French police stop to check for spare bulbs(so you carry a selection even if they don't fit) or only pull you over if you have bulb out?
Would be interested if headlight needs any correction \ blanking, and if there is anything official to confirm.
Will French police accept your word?
Not sure I would want to put adhesive blanking plates on the headlights when they are plastic.
Also remember that you need UK country plate, not gb.

Finally, does anyone have idea of cost for replacement front/ rear lamp units, or Honda take them back to refurb, or will we be paying £500 when brake light fails.

sportse

• Approved Member
Spare Bulbs for Mk.4
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 07:54:24 PM »
For the brake lights, I believe the MOT allows a certain percentage of LED failure before failing the car.

Being LED they should outlive the life of the car by a considerable margin though.

If they fail during warranty they should be replaced but I think Honda also apply the percentage failure before replacing the unit.

I’d expect LED units to be maybe £500 or so, but hopefully they won’t actually fail.

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 08:02:48 PM »
I see plenty of failed Kia drl on the roads. and when looking at Kia purchase their forums mention the driver circuit in lamp failing. That Kia stopped replacement but dealers repair then due to freq. under warranty fails.

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 11:38:23 PM »
For France I have a selection of spare bulbs from cars dating back 25 years that  I might show to a curious Gendarme if necessary, albeit none of them would likely fit on my current Jazz; you can’t carry spare LED’s. In truth bulbs have never been an issue there; I’ve never been inspected for them in 30 years of driving there.

The current Jazz doesn’t need adhesive headlight adjusters for wrong-side driving (that’s in the manual somewhere).

For France you DO need a hi viz jacket for everyone in the car, kept in the cabin not the boot. (I keep mine in the boot most of the time and move them to the seat back pockets when in France.

Also you need a French government pollution category sticker to drive in many big cities. These may be purchased from the French government website for £4. The mk3 and mk4 Jazz are both category 1 (the cleanest after pure electrics).

Also note that as of 21 September 2021 the UK’s Vienna Convention identifier has been changed from GB to UK and (obviously) Council of Europe emblems on registration plates are no longer valid. Cover over stickers can be bought fir number plates or displaying Eurostars and GB on the number plate is still fine if a separate UK oval sticker is applied to the back of the car.

- Pogglefish

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 05:01:14 PM »
Also Spain (and Malta?) require a UK sticker regardless of number plate markings. As per the post above, note the Euro star/GB number plate is not "illegal", you don't need to cover anything if you don't want, it just doesn't satisfy the requirements any more. Just add a UK oval to the back of the car.

Like many things regarding road laws, you are only likely to have an issue if you are involved in some other incident/accident/offence/attitude failure. I've been stopped at routine checks many times and as long as you have the obvious stuff no issues, paperwork, V5C, insurance, MOT (yes, even if the rules are different for that country - bikes have no MOT/CT in France but a UK registered bike must have one if over 3yrs old), hi-vis is best kept visible through the windows then they won't even ask. You should have spare glasses if you wear them, stuff like that is mainly just sensible, and wear the hi-vis if you need to get out of the car on a highway!!

Bulbs, yes I do like Pogglefish suggests and have "some bulbs" which look like they're useful. Never been questioned.

With ANY European police officer, be very polite. You will NEVER win an argument. They can do stuff like impound your vehicle until you pay a fine, in cash often. They can make your life difficult if they choose to. Smile.

Some countries are a lot stricter on the country marker (UK sticker) than others. Austrian police WILL fine you for not displaying one, French might be more "laissez faire" (they invented the phrase after all) but personally I never tempt fate for such trivial items. I have CritAir stickers even though I generally keep well away from bigger cities, but think how good it looks to a gendarme if you've made the effort (easy to apply online, just need to send an image of your V5C and a few Euros). https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:38:05 AM by embee »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 10:26:45 AM »
Great advice on eu motoring. Love the idea of some spare bulbs just to look the part. I've done this in the past.

I remember being stopped in my Mk1 Octavia in the Czech republic years ago. The young traffic officer didn't want to look at any paper work etc, but had never seen a RHD Octi or headlamp beam benders! Took some sign language to explain what the beam benders do. Brilliant.

Tags: