Author Topic: replacement of serpent drive belt???  (Read 899 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
replacement of serpent drive belt???
« on: April 14, 2021, 02:06:24 AM »
 hi all !! just a quick question I have a 1.4 jazz i shift 2010 it has 40000 on the clock and the drive belt for the alternator/ air con has not been changed, at what mileage should this be done?? or what would you recommend, the car is in immaculate condition and been fully serviced by a honda dealer all its life but no belt change recorded, also there is a small, what i would call a brake fluid type bottle  on the right hand side of the engine compartment just in front of the radiator is this for the i shift, is it to be kept topped  with brake fluid ??? when does it need changing??? many thanks to anyone who can advise

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: replacement of serpent drive belt???
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 03:28:25 AM »
In general, Auxiliary or Alternator belts do not need changing at a set mileage or time, they are visually inspected during a service for any cracking or fraying and if they are not damaged and they are not making any strange noises, usually  a high pitched squeek or squealing noise, they are left. It is common for them to last 10 years or more.
I dont know about the bottle as I dont have a cvt, your manual should tell you what it is, dont put anything in it if your not sure.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 11:21:45 AM »
The aux micro-V drive belt on Honda are good for over 100,000 ( according to service manager at local Honda ) - He had an Integra that until then had done 120,000 on original belt and it was still in good shape - I went to buy one and he said 'has the old one snapped ' I said no and he asked why it needed replacing,  he said they do not keep them in stock and only replace them if they are badly cracked or frayed along the edges.  He could have sold me one, but reassured me that at just over 50K mine had a lot of life left.  The 2006 -> Civic and 2008 -> (Mk2 ) Jazz have a spring loaded tensioner that keeps belt at optimum tension all the time, so not possible to over or under tension...  Any squealing noise from the belt area on Mk2 is most likely the bearing in the tensioner pulley rather than belt slip.

The i-shift still has a clutch, but it is automated,  so I would imagine that the small clutch fluid reservoir has been moved from its normal position on a manual car in front of brake reservoir ( on top of clutch master cylinder ) to somewhere nearer the clutch,
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:51:31 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

kevinivtec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 01:01:36 AM »
many thanks for your help and advice much appreciated!!

Tags: