Author Topic: Rear washer fluid not working  (Read 7943 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Rear washer fluid not working
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 08:23:05 PM »
Thanks from me too.
First noticed my rear washer not working in the cold weather and thought it was frozen jet but problem persisted in warmer weather.
Sorted in a similar manner to Orcadian.
Disconnected valve and blew through valve and jet separately with a bicycle pump.
Pipe was full of black gunge.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:56:21 PM by JimSh »

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 09:17:03 PM »
Sorry for the late reply Badger,
Removed the NRV, was gunged up so cleared it through with a water jet then with an airline at low pressure - all working fine now and with a quick twist of the control can get water on the screen before holding on for tad longer for the wiper to work.  Just as it should be.
Thanks again,
Ian

Thanks from me too.
First noticed my rear washer not working in the cold weather and thought it was frozen jet but problem persisted in warmer weather.
Sorted in a similar manner to Orcadian. Pipe was full of black gunge.

Thanks for the updates guys and good to see you've got your problems solved.

Hopefully this thread may prove to be helpful if others suffer the same symptoms in the future.

Jeff B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Jazz 2017 (67 plate)
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 10:53:02 AM »
My Mk3 Jazz has just developed the exact same problem.  Following Badger's advice I have disconnected the one way valve from the supply pipe and tried operating the pump. However no washer fluid even gets that far!

I checked at the washer bottle end and there is plenty of fluid in the bottle. Just wondering how the system works - are there two pumps, one for the front wipers and one for the rear or is there some split arrangement in the pipework? Perhaps I need to prime the rear washer for longer but I have been using the rear washer for about 2 to 3 minutes intermittently to no avail and I'm a bit nervous about overusing the pump.

Any thoughts?

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 11:57:15 AM »
Can you (or a friend outside the car) hear if the pump is  working?
I think there are separate pumps for front and rear.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:02:22 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »
There are. Items 7 and 8.

Jeff B

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 01:05:15 PM »
Can you (or a friend outside the car) hear if the pump is  working?

Yes the pump is working ok.

Jeff B

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 01:10:52 PM »
There are. Items 7 and 8.

Thanks for the diagram. Clearly two pumps then. I take it item 34 is a NRV like item 15? There seem to be umpteen items 34 and 15 in the pipeline to the rear washer - that can't be right surely?! I must be misreading the diagram? Whatever, it begs the question is there another NRV somewhere in the rear wash pipeline that is blocked?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »
My car is a Mark 2 .
There was only one easily accessible NRV in the tailgate.
If part 15 is the NRV you would appear to have two. Are they both accessible? Plus another one somewhere between the front and back of the car.

Edit I've just seen the key to Jocko's second diagram and item 15 is just labelled as a joint.
The NRV is marked with an arrow pointing in the direction of flow.

If you can't clear the valve(s) they would appear to be generic and are available on the inernet for two or three pounds.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:09:59 PM by JimSh »

Jeff B

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2021, 03:22:34 PM »
Item 34 is just a joint. There is no NRV unless the pump acts as a NRV.

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2007/12-S/ELECTRICAL-EQUIPMENTS-EXHAUST-HEATER/WINDSHIELD-WASHER/17SAA601/B__1500/3/22151

There is definitely an NRV under the tailgate - it is a small cylindrical plastic component about 3cm long with a direction arrow on it. As I wrote earlier I have disconnected this from the supply pipe so when operating the rear wash pump I would have expected washer fluid to be pouring out of the pipe but there is nothing. Hence I'm wondering where the blockage can be. I can't imagine there'd be another NRV down the line and the pump is definitely pumping. The point where the supply pipe connects to the pump is inaccessible somewhere underneath the washer bottle. I'm thinking maybe if I cut the pipe near the pump where I can get at it, then:

1. I could see if the pump is actually pumping fluid i.e. does fluid come out of the cut end.
2. I could try the bicycle pump idea and see if I can force water manually through to the tailgate end?

Jeff B

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »
My car is a Mark 2 .
There was only one easily accessible NRV in the tailgate.
If part 15 is the NRV you would appear to have two. Are they both accessible? Plus another one somewhere between the front and back of the car.

Edit I've just seen the key to Jocko's second diagram and item 15 is just labelled as a joint.
The NRV is marked with an arrow pointing in the direction of flow.

If you can't clear the valve(s) they would appear to be generic and are available on the inernet for two or three pounds.

Thanks for your reply. Please see my response to Jocko above.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2021, 04:04:53 PM »
What I would do is take a pipe off at the tailgate and SUCK to see if you can pull anything through. Just be prepared to SPIT and have a peppermint handy!

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2021, 05:23:02 PM »

1. I could see if the pump is actually pumping fluid i.e. does fluid come out of the cut end.
2. I could try the bicycle pump idea and see if I can force water manually through to the tailgate end?

When I did it I removed the valve. The open end of the tube coming from the reservoir sat conveniently in a sort of gutter and when I operated the washer switch water and black gunge could be seen in the gutter.
I connected a bicycle pump to the tube leading to the jet via an adaptor for blowing up Lilos etc and forced air and some water through the jet.
I was able to poke some gunge out of the valve with a piece of wire and left it soaking in sterilizing solution.
The bicycle pump was actually a track pump with a connection like on a footpump with a camming lever which compressed an O ring that fitted round the valve and let me blow water and air out of that
Unfortunately you would appear to have a blockage or leak closer to the reservoir.
What I would do is take a pipe off at the tailgate and SUCK to see if you can pull anything through. Just be prepared to SPIT and have a peppermint handy!

Having seen the gunge that came out of mine I would advise persisting with the pump.

You could perhaps suck with some sort  of syringe arrangement.

Or if you can find one of the joints closer to the reservoir to access and blow towards the jet with a cycle pump or compressor. No need to cut anything.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:42:40 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2021, 05:40:33 PM »
You have to be able to watch what is coming down the pipe! Even $h*te can't taste worse than a mouthful of petrol !!

Jeff B

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2021, 10:32:18 PM »
Thanks Jocko and JimSh for your further comments. I'll have a tinker tomorrow!

Tags: