Author Topic: Green Party Manifesto  (Read 9781 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Green Party Manifesto
« on: November 19, 2019, 03:09:34 PM »
Had a read of the Green Party Manifesto and they have some radical plans for us motorists. They intend making public transport cheaper than using the car. Can you guess what will come down and what will go up? They also intend a 20 mph limit in all built up areas, and 40 mph in all non-residential areas except on major roads. They would end the sale of new petrol and diesel fuelled vehicles by 2030.
For electric cars (which they do not see as our saviour), all current filling stations and motorway service stations to offer electric vehicle charging points by 2025. And finally, create a network of electric vehicle charging points across the country, by requiring their construction through the planning system and encouraging the private sector to deliver them. "We will ensure that these charging points are located in public places, and do not take up pavement and cycling space."

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Green Party Manifesto
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »
Another party with promises they could never keep.
Another one who will reduce the speed limits to reduce exhaust emissions ignoring the fact that journeys would take longer meaning vehicles would have their engines running for longer
They all have 'pie in the sky' grand plans that they do not have the money to see through.
Perhaps we should have a two party system like many other countries, that would reduce the packs of lies we get from all of our current collection.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »
Another one who will reduce the speed limits to reduce exhaust emissions ignoring the fact that journeys would take longer meaning vehicles would have their engines running for longer
They all have 'pie in the sky' grand plans that they do not have the money to see through.
Perhaps we should have a two party system like many other countries, that would reduce the packs of lies we get from all of our current collection.

Vic.

The fact that you get more miles per gallon at lower speeds covers the 'engine running longer' bit,  if you can do the same journey using less fuel it means fewer emissions - doesn't matter if engine running longer,  the distance you cover and the fuel you use is the important bit...   50 to 55mph seems to be the sweet spot for most ICE cars ( and probably most electric ones as well, that would explain why they maximise the range of BEV by doing the testing at that speed,  and the range drops dramatically if you travel at motorway speeds,  up to a third less range on motorway than on normal roads ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
I just love it when people propose things which are impossible. Shows what groundwordk they have done.

Over 50% of UK power comes  from "Combined Cycle Gas Turbine - These use Natural Gas to power a Turbine which turns a Generator. A second system uses the heat to produce steam which is used to turn a turbine which powers a generator. There are 39 CCGT power stations in the UK."

https://gridwatch.co.uk/

As gas will be phased out by 2030. we must replace ALL the above power stations by then. And as solar does not work at night and wind is variable, that either means LOTS of nuclear - impossible in the 10 year timespan as lead times are more than 10 years --- or large scale electric storage - the technology for which is in its infancy...

Since they have not done their sums on this, I refuse to believe a word they write..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 07:28:35 PM »
I'm waiting to see the queues at charging points when BEV become more widespread,  and the pie in the sky greens ( where the leader and only MP Ms Lucas regularly takes long haul flights to see family, try doing a long haul in an electric plane ) who want to ban all forms of fossil fuels and have nothing but unreliable renewables to replace them ( as I posted a link in electric car thread California - that greenest of green states gets 80% of its electricity from fossil fuels once the Sun goes down )..

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1202599/Election-news-caroline-lucas-BBC-andrew-marr-green-party-manifesto-latest
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:32:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »
LOTS of nuclear - impossible in the 10 year timespan as lead times are more than 10 years
The Greens will build no new nuclear power stations.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 09:23:08 PM »
LOTS of nuclear - impossible in the 10 year timespan as lead times are more than 10 years
The Greens will build no new nuclear power stations.

It is pretty obvious why the green party only has one MP.....  If you live on a different planet you are not allowed to vote in Earths elections.....

guest7494

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 08:36:57 AM »

Vic.

Well said and I agree, there is not one of these carpet baggers who are not interested in there own agenda, and some more than others with there head on one side and a smarmy voice All for the Many etc etc, be very wary of what you wish or vote for there is nothing new in Politics and some people have very short memories.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
The problem is, something has to be done if OUR world is to survive. And what has to be done will not be easy, popular or welcomed. The Greens ideas are good, it is just the implementing of them that is the problem.
We will eventually have to give up on our petrol and diesel vehicles, gas central heating will have to go and wind and wave will eventually have to supply our energy. At least, here in the UK, we are never far from tidal energy, and it is reliable and constant.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
If you accept man made climate change as a pressing issue (I do) then there is no way round the fact that the way we live our lives will have to change radically.

I don't think humanity is prepared to make the necessary sacrifices so I consider the future to be bleak.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 10:58:42 AM »
Yes, they are talking about soya products instead of meat, but soya production has led to massive amounts of Brazil's deforestation. I am glad I have not long to go as the thought of going vegetarian makes me puke (I am a Scot, my 5 a day is 5 portions of chips).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
Yes, they are talking about soya products instead of meat, but soya production has led to massive amounts of Brazil's deforestation. I am glad I have not long to go as the thought of going vegetarian makes me puke (I am a Scot, my 5 a day is 5 portions of chips).

They claim that soya and vegetarian stuff takes up much less land to grow same amount of protein as animals,  but what they fail to say is that not all land is suitable for growing crops without massive irrigation - most of Australia north of a line between Sydney and Perth is unsuitable for anything except sheep, cattle, goats and camels - and even areas below that line they are pumping so much water out of Darling-Murray river system to irrigate crops that nothing flows out river mouth by Adelaide any more,  the estuary is bone dry.... 

And vegetable protein has always been known as 'second class protein' for a reason,  we would be better off eating deep fried grasshoppers than soya....

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »

I think that's definitely true of the soya that they use as animal feed. Alpro claim that the stuff they use in food for human consumption comes from Europe and doesn't involve clearing rain forest.

I'd struggle to go vegan. I have reduced the amount of meat I eat though. I always try to buy British.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
I think that's definitely true of the soya that they use as animal feed. Alpro claim that the stuff they use in food for human consumption comes from Europe and doesn't involve clearing rain forest.

Soya is used in all manner of processed foodstuffs now, and I can imagine that some manufacturers might not be so choosy as to the source. Most cattle here are fed on soya based feeds as you say, so meat and dairy production is also directly driving deforestation.

Palm oil plantations are another menace.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »
Currently, the biggest driver of deforestation in Brazil, is beef production.

Tags: