Author Topic: Boot/Tailgate Handle Problem  (Read 30415 times)

guest713

Boot/Tailgate Handle Problem
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
For a couple of months, the external handle on my 52 plate Jazz has been faulty. It felt like the cable had disconnected as pulling the handle did not release the boot catch and I had to lock/unlock with the remote several times and really delicately pull the handle to release the boot.

I took the liner off the tailgate yesterday and there doesn't appear to be a problem with the handle itself (I expected it to be broken or warped) but I did notice the cable is similar to that used on push bikes so I wonder if it's that with the problem - i.e. it's stretched.

Has anybody else had a similar problem and if so what did you do?

I was going to get a handle off eBay but it doesn't look to be broken so that would be a waste.

guest2148

• Topic Starter
Re: Boot/Tailgate Handle Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
Same problem here. It has been an intermittent fault for some time and the other forum posts of pushing in the tailgate before trying to open have previously worked as did the delicate opening you describe.  But now it feels like the handle is not connected at all and that whatever cable connects it has come off. Will have to climb in through the back and have a closer look but have not had time yet.
Anyone else had this or solved it? Reluctant to take it back to Honda if I can repair myself.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
Just had this happen today - have had no previous sign of problem with tailgate failing to unlatch off the handle - it did seem as though the handle was 'disconnected' from the mechanism.

I dropped down the back seats and prized off the little round cover just above the latch, there is a kind of thin metal lever in there, it was fully left (against a face, so it wont go any further left) so I pushed it to the right with the end of a screwdriver - to about 2 o'clock position.

I then went back out side the car and worked the remote lock / unlock a few times and the handle worked again.

The little lever certainly does not operate the unlock directly, but i wonder if it gets stuck to the fully left position sometimes in the 'deadlock' (double locked) position and the tailgate handle then just 'freewheels' - I couldn't swear that the door wouldn't have opened anyway if I had persevered with the remote lock-unlock fob - but i had tried it quite a few times with no results and this included pushing the tailgate inwards while I pulled the opening handle. 

All I can say is, it is worth a try.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3096

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
Had this problem recently on my 57 plate Jazz.

Opened the boot and sprayed loads of WD40 onto the handle mechanism, let it soak for 5 minutes wiping away any run off - mine brought a load of muck with it. Operated the lever a good few times, sprayed again and cleaned off any run-off.

The lock now works fine and hasn't jammed again.

I think the problem is muck getting into the handle and making it stick so it doesn't travel far enough.

Worth a try - WD40 is cheap compared a visit to the garage.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
had a problem again with my wifes GD tailgate, it was unlocking but wouldn't open (i could hear and feel the solenoid working when i touched the door handle.

I lowered the back seat and took out the little round plastic bung just above the lock,  last time this happened the little lever inside was stuck in the 11 o'clock position and pressing the key fob did not move it, you can push it back to 1 oclock position with your finger and watch it as you press the keyfob (all car doors need to be closed or central will not try to lock doors) , when pressing the 'open' button it should move across to 2 oclock position showing the solenoid is working.

even when this was happening, the normal handle trigger didn't want to open it.

after much time spent on t'internet it seem this is pretty much a problem with every car on the planet, but didn't seem to be too many answers.

what i did find out is that unless the opening handle flap above number plate is in its fully forward position - PUSHED RIGHT FORWARD towards the tailgate when you press the unlock button on keyfob (or the key in the door-lock) the latch somehow becomes disconnected and the handle doesn't work.

I pushed the opening handle fully forward and pressed the 'open' keyfob button, and the handle now works, just to check I held it away from the tailgate and it won't open again, I pushed it forward and it worked OK.  I will now lubricate the pivot points of the handle to try and make it always return to its fully forward position when it is released.

NOTE - all the pushing and pulling in the world will not release the tailgate if it doesn't want to open, and trying to move the lock tongue back with a screwdriver doesn't work either .

EDIT  -  found the problem, the plastic release handle above number plate is a tight fit in its steel bracket,  the bracket had rust on inside cheeks and this and was preventing the return spring from pulling the plastic handle back to its home position.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:23:42 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4231

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
I had this problem with my old Accord. Did everything I could to fix (wd40, replace the whole boot lock mechanism, checked electric continuity). I couldn't get it done before I sold it in the end.

Century21

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
I have a 54 plate Jazz that I bought earlier this week, and the tailgate sticks.  Last night stuck.  This morning fine.  Now in the afternoon it's stuck again.  :(

Still under Arnold Clark warranty so taking her in on Monday to get it seen to at the Service Centre.  Don't want to start taking parts off in case it voids the warranty.

guest1844

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
This happens when, with the car locked, you try to open the boot (maybe to confirm the car is locked). In pulling the handle and then releasing it, the mechanism doesn't fully return to its home position. When you next unlock, the lock solenoid cannot move because of the resulting slight misalignment within the lock levers.
It requires lubrication in there. I took my mechanism out and tried to file the corner off some bit but it was the lubrication that fixed it, for a few months.
Just don't try the boot if the car is locked.

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:10:42 PM »
Just had exactly this with a 57 GD Jazz, tailgate wouldn't open whether locked or unlocked.  Pushing the handle/lever forward into the position then unlocking sorted it.  Will give it a squirt of WD or spray grease.  Thanks folks!!!!! ;D

guest4967

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:19:34 PM »
I also have had the same problem intermittently with the boot catch not opening. This has gone on for at least a year, but with cars I am extremely lazy and have just put up with it as I love my Jazz.
I have now finally investigated the problem, perhaps a little further than the previous posts and know the issue. One of the spring sears can become misaligned within the mechanism so when the central locking has been switched to open the release arm does not fully open the mechanism. when this first begins to happen and the user pushes the release arm through the access port in the boot door it should be difficult to do for the first few times but over further periods get easier. What is actually happening over time, is the lock opening mechanism solenoid is becoming weaker due to the spring sear still getting in the way of the mechanism. It will never improve if not acted on straight away. The problem will only occur after you unlock the central locking.
If the sear can be reduced in size then your problem will go away.
Now the alternative for me is to buy/ obtain a new solenoid piece from a scrapped car.

guest4566

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
I had this problem with my old Accord. Did everything I could to fix (wd40, replace the whole boot lock mechanism, checked electric continuity). I couldn't get it done before I sold it in the end.
Had this problem recently on my 57 plate Jazz.

Opened the boot and sprayed loads of WD40 onto the handle mechanism, let it soak for 5 minutes wiping away any run off - mine brought a load of muck with it. Operated the lever a good few times, sprayed again and cleaned off any run-off.

The lock now works fine and hasn't jammed again.

I think the problem is muck getting into the handle and making it stick so it doesn't travel far enough.

Worth a try - WD40 is cheap compared a visit to the garage.
I had the problem too, the latch was in the closed position,could not shut tailgate, used some penetrating spray on lock and boot handle, the handle wasnt so stiff and the lock released itself with the help of a small screwdriver to prise the lock mechanism down.

Edit by Admin - changed from uppercase.

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »
common problem with the jazz, happening with mine as well from time to time, I climb in the boot usually from inside, and spray it with wd40 and clean/lubricate the mechanism there,it works allright than for some time till it again gets stiff/full of dirt.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 05:55:29 PM »
common problem with the jazz, happening with mine as well from time to time, I climb in the boot usually from inside, and spray it with wd40 and clean/lubricate the mechanism there,it works allright than for some time till it again gets stiff/full of dirt.

If WD40 is the answer you are asking the wrong question - WD40 is not a lubricant (it is a Water Dispersant),  it will however dissolve and wash out any lubricant that it comes across,  and then turn to glue which sticks things together attracts all manner of dirt.  It will stop things rusting for a little while,  and it will dissolve tar off paintwork - but a lubricant - no.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:26:54 AM by culzean »

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 05:58:20 PM »
Just read this thread and sorted out my 64 reg Jazz who's boot lock didn't want to work  :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 06:54:41 PM by John A »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 06:25:45 PM »
One of the things I did at my service. Sprayed 3 in 1 oil into the handle. I now have oily streaks down the number plate and back bumper!

Tags:

anything