Author Topic: H4 Osram Led Legal  (Read 2955 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
H4 Osram Led Legal
« on: May 13, 2023, 12:03:37 AM »
In many european countries now some models can legally fit LED retrofit bulbs, and the GK Jazz is one of them if the bulb is a NIGHT BREAKER LED H4.
https://www.osram.de/am/night-breaker-led/night-breaker-led-ledcheck.jsp?mkt=/nb-led/

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
Re: H4 Osram Led Legal
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 07:38:11 AM »
Technically cannot do this in UK.
Unless LED bulb is original fitment it will fail the MOT test and could even get you a ticket from an over zealous traffic cop.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 09:00:47 AM »
As I understand the UK position, each type of bulb :

Halogen
HID
LED

The reflector and housing is specifically designed to control the beam pattern and not to produce dazzle to oncoming drivers.

If you mix and match reflector/housing to the wrong type of bulb they will fail the MOT and as above, a knowledgeable traffic cop will ticket you.
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 10:16:30 AM »
Technically cannot do this in UK.
Unless LED bulb is original fitment it will fail the MOT test and could even get you a ticket from an over zealous traffic cop.

Whilst the above statement may be technically correct, I have been using H4 Led bulbs as supplied by Classiccarleds Ltd, on my previous cars without any problems, for some years.
The MOT test is only interested in whether they pass the beam pattern test OK and thus do not blind approaching drivers. In fact these LED bulbs have slightly better beam pattern than the standard bulb.
The MOT test does not allow for the headlamp to be stripped and checked, so how would the tester (or an over zealous traffic cop) know?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 11:01:29 AM »
The fact some European countries allow some types of led conversion bulbs  on some cars suggests to me the mk3 headlight reflector design is near enough compatible with LED .   The UK take an simplified blanket ban . all are illegal, no complicated exceptions.  But maybe a 'blind eye' sometimes turned. Sometimes.

And 'blind eye' is the issue.  If your super bright headlights  dazzle an mot tester or police patrol  more than normally expected  they  only need look through the headlight glass to see if an led has been fitted.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Wilmo

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 05:18:23 PM »
Yes an LED bulb is usually blindingly obvious as Lord V says.

Getting away with it for years at MOT time doesn't make it right.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 04:51:00 AM »
I thought MOT stations have some fancy machines that they shine the headlights into to test beam pattern ?

If so then any light leakage outside of the permitted limits would be quickly determined rather than a tester just physically looking.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 07:21:47 AM »
So if the replacement lights conform to the mandatory beam pattern, but are piercingly bright within that pattern, is that a pass or a fail?

And it’s the “bright within the beam” issue that is the problem, because others drivers will be subjected to that as the car pitches and bounces on a typical road, or the driver forgets to dip the lights.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 07:31:23 AM »
The fact some European countries allow some types of led conversion bulbs  on some cars suggests to me the mk3 headlight reflector design is near enough compatible with LED .   The UK take an simplified blanket ban . all are illegal, no complicated exceptions.  But maybe a 'blind eye' sometimes turned. Sometimes.
I would express it other way round: Osram has got its LED bulb approved in many continental Europe big countries. And that is really a breakthrough! But true, there are still some countries that do not officially allow those.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 07:34:06 AM »
And it’s the “bright within the beam” issue that is the problem, because others drivers will be subjected to that as the car pitches and bounces on a typical road, or the driver forgets to dip the lights.
So do the original factory mounted LEDs as well.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 07:49:05 AM »
So do the original factory mounted LEDs as well.

I don’t think any version of the Mk3 Jazz has factory fitted LED headlights (could be wrong?). So I assume you’re referring to other marques. And yes, you’re right, they are a problem … but just because it’s done doesn’t make it right.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 07:57:48 AM »
The 1.5 Sport has LED lights front and rear.

Not looking forward to a bulb failure as they seem to be sealed units.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 10:46:57 AM »
In the past  some MOT testers often didnt bother using their  beam pattern testing equipment. If the headlight beams fell in the 'usual' place on the garage wall that was good enough.   Maybe things are stricter now, but I suspect a few still cut corners to save time.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 03:54:51 PM »
I run my gd1 on led bulbs for a few years.
 So long as you get ones with the little notch in so the beam pattern is correct you shouldnt have any problems. I made my mot man double check them, he said the cutoff was excellent and it fell within brightness.

It's the monkeys who don't adjust them or don't know how to install them properly which cause problems. Or the ones who fit HID bulbs.  :o

jazzaro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 05:22:17 PM »
Now in Italy or Germany or France, if a policeman finds an Osram led bulb inside the headlight of my Jazz, I will show him the proper declaration.
"Street Legal for Honda Jazz" means that the assembly headlight with Homologation nr E4-17782 + Osram NIGHT BREAKER H4-LED part number 64193DWNB meets ECE37, ECE48 and ECE112 rules about minimun quantity of lumens measured in some points in front of the car (enough light on the ground and pedestrians) and about maximun lumens in other points (no glaring), and that the compliance has been certified by deutch StVZO, TUV-Sud and KBA organizations.
I think UK could easily follow the UE pattern, the problem is that UK drive with left hand traffic so headlight reflectors are different and the UK Jazz headlight homologation number will not be E4-17782 but something different, maybe E4-17435, and Osram hasn't produced any document for this headlight.

For administrators: if you try to post a message  with an Umlaut (some deutsch words have it), the system will reply an error message.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 07:47:38 AM by jazzaro »

Tags:

anything