Author Topic: Wheel tracking "within tolerance"?  (Read 1017 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Wheel tracking "within tolerance"?
« on: May 02, 2023, 07:34:48 PM »
I asked for wheel tracking with my service.

I thought after 5 years it would be worth doing. They said they checked it and it was within tolerances... is that a valid thing, within tolerance?

How much tolerance is within tolerance? How does it work when they put it on the machine?

I don't want to sound like they are dodgy, it's a genuine question. You would think they would make it perfect since im paying for it, but maybe within tolerance means it would make no difference if they made it perfect...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:37:38 PM by JazzyJJ »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Wheel tracking "within tolerance"?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 07:41:55 PM »
Each measurement has a range so within tolerance is acceptable as it means it's in the correct range. They should provide you with a printout if it has been carried out on quality alignment equipment such as the Hunter HawkEye system.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:46:05 PM by UKjim »

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Re: Wheel tracking "within tolerance"?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 07:51:53 PM »
They said being a Honda Jazz its a 2 wheel tracking device. So they dont have a print out.

I actually trust this Honda garage but there's always a chance you get a lazy technician.

It could be with in tolerance but on the limit and one more pot hole will push it over. As im paying they should make it perfect. £40 to say its within tolerance  :(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:56:26 PM by JazzyJJ »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 09:46:13 PM »
You may well find that £40 was to check it. If it had required adjusting then it may have been the same again.
The tolerance on wheel alignment is very tight but it usually needs to be well out to start wearing tyres.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 09:46:40 PM »
There is no adjustment available on the rear of the Jazz but that doesn't mean you can't have a print out, maybe they haven't got a sophisticated machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 10:36:58 AM »
Even when brand new , steering and suspension joints and bushes have a tiny amount of free play,  otherwise they would be too stiff.  Modern laser tracking equipment is so accurate  it can detect  the tiniest of movement.
  If they set the tracking to be 100% spot on  at the time of measurement  it would no longer be spot on as soon as the car or steering moves.  Or even if they tugged on a road wheel.  The laser equipment would register a difference.   So there is a small +/-  tolerance range. This tolerance may be so small that older equipment might not be able to detect any  difference.   

Far from being dodgy the opposite can be  true.Its not unknown for dodgy garages  to charge customers for  unnecessary adjustments to a car thats actually within tolerance just so they can give the customer a print out showing they have  made it 100% spot on  (For the moment  - If the customer drove round the block and then returned for another check the result may be different)   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 10:42:45 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 11:05:08 AM »
In the factory the car is driven over a pit and the operator will adjust the tracking until it's well within tolerance, doesn't mean it has to be perfect every time with every car.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 01:39:53 PM »
There’s no such thing as an exact measurement - it can only be expressed with tolerances. The size of the tolerance depends on the precision of the measuring equipment.

Tags:

anything