Author Topic: Jazz 2018 SE Water in Driver Side footwell !  (Read 5797 times)

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
Re: Jazz 2018 SE Water in Driver Side footwell !
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 05:31:55 PM »
I had the misfortune of buying what appeared to be a clean, low mileage jazz from the dealer which I returned to the dealer due to it leaking and issues with the Bluetooth phone.
It appeared to have been painted as some bits were missing from the bonnet plastic trim and a few other things. The dealer couldn't replicate the issue and I lost  confidence so exchanged it. I didn't brave taking the panel off to investigate but suspect it was caused by the sheeting being removed or cut.
I will try and attach some of the photos for the OP to compare, in particular, below the door panel and the face of the door seal.

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 05:36:18 PM »
Again...

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2022, 07:33:46 PM »
I'd reckon your car may have had a new windscreen and it probably hasn't bonded properly, causing the leak.
If you look at the windscreen is it genuine Honda or another make, that may be a clue.
Then I guess it's a case of sitting in the car whilst an assistant uses a hosepipe to wet different parts of the screen to see where leaks.

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk 3 SE 2018 manual Sunset Orange
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2022, 10:36:15 AM »
Hi
I think the windscreen is the original unit, there is nothing on service history to say it was changed.

Other things I'm going to look at:

-Blocked Air Conditioning Drain pipe: Does anyone know where it is on the Mark 3? Is it behind the engine low down? Would water (not coolant) come out of this?

-Wheel arch liner: I've read that wet gunge can collect behind it. I might unscrew it and have a look.

-Possible loss of /or poor seal under the front of the car. Or a bad weld.

The poor weather is slowing down my checks, but by narrowing it down it might save a few bob when I book it in at a car repair place.
I have driven the car in very wet weather this morning and I will see if the big puddle comes back after it's been parked a while.
The floorpan was only marginally damp when I set off.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »
Blocked aircon drain pipe will be water, not coolant.  Its a drain for the water that  condenses from moisture in the air due to the cooling process. Like water on the outside of a cold beer  (maybe I should do some 'special 'research into the phenomena. :P )

This may be enough to make the interior damp , and could build up over time,  but I  doubt it could fill a footwell in  a short space of time. 

Sorry I  dont know where it is.  But you could possibly eliminate  it as a cause by parking the car somewhere dry  and running the engine and aircon for a while.  The drain normally drips  some water onto the road under the car  .  If some water drips its  probably ok. But the absence of a drip is not conclusive proof of a problem.  There may not be enough moisture to need it.     If you are anything like me you will then start worrying the drip is coming from somewhere else    :-\
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 11:49:38 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2022, 12:28:36 PM »
Hi Glosrich

The Windscreen: Yes-interesting. Just checked the glass on the car. All the windows have the H Honda Automotive etching on them, except for the Windscreen!  The make is FAYAO

Attached are photos of the leak area in the floorwell and the door hole covers I mentioned on earlier post. On the driver's door I covered the hole with a sticky pad.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2022, 12:43:55 PM »
Looks more like from pillar region?

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2022, 02:36:38 PM »
Just saw this seal where the quarter light window meets with the top right corner of the door. Something to check. The first picture is the passenger side which looks ok, but the driver side looks a bit wrong
(2nd picture)

Regards

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2022, 02:44:53 PM »
Sorry, wrong pic of suspected driver's side seal

Here it is...

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2022, 02:56:08 PM »
Please ignore the following 2 posts. I got a bit confused. I will recheck the A Piller area door sealing and above it tomorrow .

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2022, 05:57:03 PM »
My driveway is sloped and for the 14 years I owned  it, from new , my Yaris was prone to excessive condensation. I never did find the source  .......,
FWIW I had a mk.1 Yaris which eventually (20yrs old) succumbed to the sill rot just forward of the rear wheel arch which is a common failure in the old Yaris. I'm 99% sure it is down to the roof seam sealing eventually failing (under the black trim strip) and leaking water into the roof rail just above the B/C post, the water runs down the post and into the sill. I found that on odd occasions the headlining would be slightly damp just above the B/C post, though it never did stain it. Someone bought my Yaris to renovate it, I told them of the faults and they were happy to take on the project.
Early Jazz models had a similar roof seam leak issue at the rear, leaking water into the boot space. Possibly it was an ageing process of the sealant used back then??

Our 2003 Yaris D4D lost most of its paint in the place you describe and the galvanising wore out so I Dinitrolled it  about 4 years ago. It is still 100% solid  and the roof does not leak, (Japan made)

Glosrich

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
Those circle door grommets are outside of the door seals, so won't be leaking.
As I mentioned it's likely to be the windscreen or the plastic sheet behind the door trims leaking in.
You really need to get the hose pipe on the windscreen area and see if it leaks in, and the passenger door maybe also.
Lay some toilet roll around the inside of the car near the doors to see where it is coming in, the toilet roll will be wet.
The Aircon drain would never create that much water, do you even use the Aircon?

It's not been unknown for Cazoo to supply cars that have had accident damage, so maybe it's been badly repaired, did you do a car vertical check for accident damage before buying?

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 03:18:37 PM »
8 days on (with most days being rainy) the big puddle in driver's footwell has not reoccurred, touchwood.
Today being dry and sunny, I did a few more checks.
Please see attached photos of the upper engine bay on driver's side. This is where the screen washer pipe goes to the trim under windscreen.
There appears to be a badly sealed seam with a dirty water gunged area coming down  from near it. I cleaned the area and have applied a generous bead of silicon sealant all around it. I'll see if this has any effect.
I checked the bottom of the drivers door and there were no wet water trails on the inner door seal footplate area.
The lower bottom right hand side of the floorpan next to the front door pillar is still
damp. I am going to get my wet/dry vac to it tomorrow to try and get out some of the remaining water that accumulated in the underfelt last week, so I can see if the leak is still occuring.
So still trial and error for now.
The only other thing I did was to stick a temporary strip of vinyl tape between windscreen and the black plastic trim beneath it.
Looking on the web, leaks of this type seem to effect many makes of cars!

Glosrich

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 07:04:44 PM »
All looks pretty normal, no signs of damage.

I still advise getting your hose pipe out soak the passenger and driver's door and windscreen in turn and then see if it gets wet inside.

It's most likely a badly sealed windscreen.

Also worth checking the pollen filter behind the glovebox in case that is wet.

Here is a guide

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/file/Product/MediaAssets/HBBBJ1T7.pdf
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 07:09:04 PM by Glosrich »

Philno

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2022, 01:03:38 PM »
Thanks Glosrich
I will look at the windscreen sealing next.
I will try some soapy water over areas of the windscreen to see where any bubbles appear.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I checked the cabin filter behind the glove box the other day. It was dry as a bone and had hardly any debris on it as I replaced it with a new one in the Spring.
I don"t  think the water is coming from the door. There was no water on the inner door seal when I opened driver door this morning. See attached photo.
I still think the water enters from under the plastic door trim where the boot release latch is located. A soapy water test might help confirm the source.
As you can see from the other attached photo, my drive is sloped so that any rain/melted frost drains from front left to the ground. This is how I always park it.
I cannot park nose up as the fence would restrict me from getting in and out of the car !
Does anybody know  if the large windscreen seals on the left and right of the windscreen (photo) can be carefully eased off without damage so I can check for any anomalies?
Thanks for your patience folks, sorry to be a pain!

Tags:

anything