Author Topic: SatNav mispronouncing place and road names  (Read 1863 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: SatNav mispronouncing place and road names
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 03:41:21 PM »
There's a place in the Warrington suburbs called Lingley Green. My old Tom Tom used to call it "Linguini Green."

A nice pasta dish!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 04:43:54 PM »
Android Auto Google Maps also does the countdown thing, and in the driver display like the Garmin so you don't need to look left.
I've tried using Google but it's a faff getting it to recognize the phone (it does eventually) and also the maps don't always move so your current location is in the middle and has to be moved manually, probably there's a setting to be changed but I just find it much easier using Garmin.

Fortunately mine recognises my Samsung S10 very quickly, and on wireless. I'm also fortunate that I can run Google Maps in satellite view and my positioning is spot on, no lag that some have reported. Maybe that's because my phone is away from the dash so no or less interference.
I'm suspicious about having the phone on the dedicated tray which isn't in an optimal position for it to get GPS.

I'm not keen on running the built in with no traffic detours. Could be frustrating.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 05:35:53 PM »
What I don't understand is why Garmin insist on using street names instead of road numbers when available.....
I so agree.
Neil Ives

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 11:31:42 PM »
There's a place in the Warrington suburbs called Lingley Green. My old Tom Tom used to call it "Linguini Green."

A nice pasta dish!

And locally there's an Assheton Way in a local town which many years ago Waze decided should have the first syllable pronounced to rhyme with farce.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »
 The Voice is computer generated and relies on phonetical interpretation of spellings. . We tend to forget  how complex English can be  regarding different pronunciations and emphasis depending on spelling , and even local  usage and convention.      For instance  my dad always jokingly called  Burntisland in Scotland  Burntis-land. (I assume  'Burnt Island'  is correct. )      And there is a village in Kent  called Trottiscliffe, which the locals    pronounce 'Trosley'. Some local amenities are actually spelled Trosley.    I dont know how satnav says these  examples. 

I find it remarkable that it is still able to speak in a posh English female voice  (if thats your setting) 

On the last garmin update I did  I noticed some data, that possibly shouldnt have been displayed to users, which  indicated the maps are updated by Chinese speakers.   It appears  addresses  are often translated into Pinyin (Chinese ,using Latin letters) based on how the name sounds phonetically  - to a chinese speaker.
For instance Calais sometimes appears as something like 'kalay'   (I cant remember exactly )   I suspect the  software for the voice may be reading the pinyin phonetic version ,which may reflect  the pronunciation of a Chinese speaker, or other low wage countries such as India.  This is fair enough to some extent, would you be prepared to pay UK or American Wages, or  only have updates every few years  .   And the phonetic may be better.   Calais   might otherwise be read as Cal -Ace    although if IIRC is still does not say  Calais quite the same way as an English speaker with a bit too much emphasis on the second syllable .But it could be correct to a French speaker.   

With my old standalone Garmin  if you set Waypoints  you could rename then.   I was very tempted to  configure it so the 'voice' said something  naughty ,  such as "arriving at ' tickle my bottom' on the left"   ;D

It may be possible  on the Jazz garmin, but of course I am far too mature and sensible to find out.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 10:39:40 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2022, 10:08:31 AM »
.....but of course I am far too mature and sensible to find out. 

If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2022, 10:18:14 AM »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2022, 07:37:18 PM »
30 years ago I wrote a Speak-n-Spell program for our kids. Our Amiga computer had a built in voice. I discovered that I needed to have a list of words that was correctly spelled and another phonetic list for the voice to say. One example was our sons name; George. The computer pronounced his name along the lines of Geeorgee, (hard G's). I needed to spell his name Jorj for the computer voice. My son liked that and has adopted it.
You can see him and how he likes his name, here: https://bikmo.com/uk/about-bikmo/team/
Neil Ives

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2022, 11:22:22 AM »
The traffic report on Heart Sussex and Surrey often mispronunces place names since they switched from local to networked breakfast show. For exampele, Berwick ('Berr-ik') becomes 'Ber-Wick' and Wisley ('Wizli') becomes 'Wise-li'.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2022, 12:51:49 PM »
Here is a video I made of my standalone Garmin  (Aggie the sat Nag)  attempting Serbo-Croat. I have no idea who the cackling humans might be.   :-[ :-X

« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 01:07:31 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Tags: