Author Topic: Front bumper paint damage. Repair or replace?  (Read 2308 times)

Outcasst

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 SE CVT-7 (2006)
Front bumper paint damage. Repair or replace?
« on: June 28, 2020, 05:14:11 PM »
Hi all.

Hit a pheasant at around 50 MPH a while back which caused quite a bit of paint to chip off the front bumper. Hadn't really thought about getting it repaired until recently since I am planning on selling the car on.

Image of the damage: https://i.imgur.com/fzFEOXV.png

Just wondering whether it would be worth getting it repaired, or would it be cheaper to just replace the entire bumper? The cheapest ones I have seen that are in decent condition and the correct colour are around the £70 - £100 ballpark.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Front bumper paint damage. Repair or replace?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:49:36 PM »
I would be looking for aerosol or touch-up paint in the appropriate colour. Here's one source https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda/honda-touch-up-pens/ (but not very cheap).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 05:52:21 PM »
Looks bad. The colour has totally delaminated from the plastic. May well be a better option replacing than trying to repair. Mind you, for an old car it may be as well leaving it and offering to take the price of a replacement bumper off the selling price. That way the new owner can fix it or live with it!

Outcasst

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 SE CVT-7 (2006)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »
Well I was planning to just take it to webuyanycar rather than selling private. I'm leaning towards just accepting whatever they offer for its current condition. Part Ex isn't an option since I'll be going with a BMW dealer so I doubt they'll take it.

They quoted around £1,400 online (56 Plate, ~92K Miles), and this is the only significant damage on the car.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:04:30 PM by Outcasst »

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »
I sold a 1999 Focus to we buy any car 4 or 5 years ago. They do an external inspection and revised the price sharply downwards for some bodywork issues I thought weren't worth fixing on a car of that age. Though they did miss thee water collecting in the rear footwell which started a week before I sold it. So might still be worth fixing.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »
Dont spend a £1 on the Jazz , as for webuyany I wouldnt bother.
Try motorway.co.uk first

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »
Get a quote from firms like 'Chipsaway' or there others just do search.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 06:46:39 PM »
I tried WeBuyAnyCar for my Volvo S40 and the price they offered was laughable. My brother took a car in for an inspection and every dunt and dent knocked £100 of the previously quoted price. The guy actually told him a garage would put it on the forecourt, as is, for three times their offer and he sold it privately for two and a half times the WBAC price.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 10:26:32 PM »
My gut reaction is that a DIY repair on a blemish of that size would look like, well, a DIY repair and might not alter the WBAC value much if at all.

Interesting about WBAC. I have had a couple of quotes from them in the past on relatively new cars and the price offered seemed decent - not over generous but in the right ball park (never took it any further as it happens). A mate tried to sell an old but very tidy Ford Focus to them a couple of years ago and the price they offered was derisory. He sold it privately in the end and got £1500 (iirc) as opposed to their £800 offer. I get the impression they don't really want the older vehicles.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 11:11:32 PM »
This evening I got a quote from WBAC for my 2006 Jazz S and they offered me £50. £30 is the petrol in the tank!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 08:44:24 AM by Jocko »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 12:42:42 AM »
Part Ex isn't an option since I'll be going with a BMW dealer so I doubt they'll take it.

Dealers will take anything. Same as webuyanycar, anything they can't retail goes straight to auction the same week. You may as well take it to auction yourself, or stick it on ebay - older Jazzes always seem to go fairly well on there.

You may even get what seems, on the face of it, a decent offer from a dealer... but factor in what you could haggle off the screen price, and you will be looking at a low offer for your car.

Hit a pheasant at around 50 MPH a while back which caused quite a bit of paint to chip off the front bumper. Hadn't really thought about getting it repaired until recently since I am planning on selling the car on.

Image of the damage: https://i.imgur.com/fzFEOXV.png

That's the site of a previous repair, you can see where the colour's been flatted off, and the paint below is over a skim of filler - that's why it's flaked off.

It could all be flatted off and done with a base aerosol and lacquer, if you or a friend had an aptitude for it. To do it properly would cost you more than an in colour secondhand bumper in materials alone, by the time you've done getting half a litre of paint mixed, lacquer and thinners.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
This evening I got a quote from WBAC for my 2006 Jazz S and they offered me £50. £30 is the petrol in the tank!

Not really looked but have second hand car prices slipped? Read a few weeks ago that older cars might become more sought after as people seek a cheap alternative to public transport because of coronavirus fears.

That offer is a real insult Jocko. Obviously a 14 year old car will have a low resale value but £50!!!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 01:04:18 PM »
£50 is a message not an offer.

The message is "we don't sell cars that old"..

If I were them, I would have the same policy..
(The car is worth far more to the kind of buyer looking for cheap transport . They will never look at the dealers WBAC sell to. But the cheapies on Gumtree/facebook)

Remember Dealers are still bound by the Sale of Goods Act  and have the possibility of refunds if the car goes bang in its first 6 months..Not worth the risk on a 14 year old car- however cherished 

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 02:29:04 PM »

Surely the number plate is worth a lot more than that Jocko.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
£50 is a message not an offer.

The message is "we don't sell cars that old"..

If I were them, I would have the same policy..
(The car is worth far more to the kind of buyer looking for cheap transport . They will never look at the dealers WBAC sell to. But the cheapies on Gumtree/facebook)

Remember Dealers are still bound by the Sale of Goods Act  and have the possibility of refunds if the car goes bang in its first 6 months..Not worth the risk on a 14 year old car- however cherished

Yes - I think I can see that. When my pal told me about his Focus (see above) I thought they weren't interested and the offer was pitched to convey that.

Tags: