Author Topic: 0w20 / 0w30 / 5w30 for Jazz Hybrid  (Read 5658 times)

guest5682

0w20 / 0w30 / 5w30 for Jazz Hybrid
« on: October 02, 2015, 06:26:47 PM »
Dear forum members,

I wanted to ask your guidance please.

Which oil is most recommended for a 2015 (still MK2) Jazz Hybrid?

A few details regarding my question:

1. I have in my shed an unopened 5ltr Castrol Edge 5w30 that I originally purchased for another car I had (Seat Toledo 1.4 TSI)
2. My Jazz has 8,000 KMs on the clock and I've noticed that the oil dipstick is showing a low oil level, so I want to top it off

Can I use the Castrol Edge I have readily available? Or should I go and buy the genuine oil from Honda (0w20 or 0w30)?
If I use the Castrol oil, will it cause any harm to the engine or the seals?

As for the climate I live in - it's pretty hot (Middle East) so I don't know if that makes any difference with this decision.

Thanks for the help in advance!  ;D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 0w20 / 0w30 / 5w30 for Jazz Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
Given your ambient temperatures I would use the 5W30 that you already have. The 5W oil is slightly more viscous at low temperature than 0W (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#Multi-grade) and would require more effort to get a cold engine started but you aren't experiencing the temperatures where that is significant.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: 0w20 / 0w30 / 5w30 for Jazz Hybrid
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »
Given your ambient temperatures I would use the 5W30 that you already have. The 5W oil is slightly more viscous at low temperature than 0W (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#Multi-grade) and would require more effort to get a cold engine started but you aren't experiencing the temperatures where that is significant.

Agree entirely I wouldn't even use 0W-20 or 0W-30 in the UK as we don't get low enough temperature to warrant it, and I always use 5W-30,  I know thinner oils are sold as fuel saving oil etc. but depending on your annual mileage it is a decision that need to be made on the initial cost of oil etc.  And using the correct  gearbox oil is much more important in saving fuel.

I don't think any modern oil is actively going to damage your engine and I don't worry about topping up with a different grade or manufacturers oil (but have never had to top a Honda up between oil changes anyway).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything