Author Topic: Just about to start looking for our first Jazz  (Read 3325 times)

guest7405

Just about to start looking for our first Jazz
« on: February 24, 2018, 05:15:28 PM »
Hi,

I'm Colin and I'm just about to buy a Jazz, primarily as my wife's get to work car. We live in Gosport and she works in Chichester so as anyone who knows the area will tell you that involves quite a lot of traffic on the M27. So it's going to be an automatic.

I'm still not sure what we're looking for yet. A late model Mk1 with the CVT or an early Mk2 with the i-Shift will fit our budget.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Just about to start looking for our first Jazz
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:03:32 PM »
Hope you find something within your budget. I have never had an I Shift - some like them, others don't but as the new owner of a CVT who was previously very sceptical about them, I am now a convert.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:14:31 PM »
Nothing wrong with a late Mk 1. I have a manual, 56 plate, with 100,000+ miles on the clock and it is a great car. You can see my average mpg during my time with the car (18 months), at the LH side under my avatar.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:16:38 PM by Jocko »

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
Mk1 looks a bit old now, but has a good torque-y engine especially in 1.4 versions. MK2 is more refined a bit more comfortable and has a good under floor storage area in the boot.  I-shift is a robotised manual gearbox so you can drive it on the paddles all the time if you wish, but it will be sensible and change up/down when needed. I think if you use the throttle like a manual in full auto mode then some gear changes happen at times when a driver might not have performed them. In the manual you would have lifted at the change but not the case in the i-shift so can be a little jerky until you adapt your style.  This is common across other makes with robotised manual gearboxes.

For the same money I'd pick an i-shift MK2 over a CVT Mk1, especially when you consider there are 15 plate Mk2s knocking around so that body will continue to look a lot newer than the Mk1 in a few years.

One last thing CVT costs more to service as CVT fluid should be changed every 2 years, if you find a bargain jerky one then it's an easy fix with a flush & refill of the correct fluid to replace the expired stuff.
--
TG

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
Good point about the extra costs of servicing a CVT. Fluid changes add quite a bit to the service charge when due. About £80.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:37:41 AM »
Mk1 looks a bit old now
It is only my opinion, but personally I prefer the look of the Mk 1 to the Mk 2. I feel it looks a bit sharper. As I said, just suits my taste.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
Mk1 looks a bit old now
It is only my opinion, but personally I prefer the look of the Mk 1 to the Mk 2. I feel it looks a bit sharper. As I said, just suits my taste.

I have said before I preferred the shape of the GD,  but the GE and later do ride better - also preferred the I-DSi engine for 95% of what the Jazz is designed for rather than the revvy engine in later models.  Revvy engines are fine in cars like S2000 but not in an urban runabout family car.  I worry that fitting 1.5 vtec engine into the Jazz will make it more of a desirable target for car thieves and we will lose the ability to park the Jazz anywhere and not attract the attention of scrotes.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: