Author Topic: What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz  (Read 8027 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »
The choice thing is a real issue. I think that's why I stick to Honda. It's my brand of choice (now I've ruled out EVs).

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »
Ooh just back from the swap and it’s been a lovely first drive. Quiet, freely and smoothly moving. Let’s hope the love affair lasts.

A bit of creep when in reverse. Perhaps that means a firmer foot on the foot brake. Seats  feel different too, maybe that’s just newness. Touch screen seems more responsive. Dealer suggested you need to give them a wipe every so often.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »
Congratulations.  And you never put yourself through the windscreen by using the phantom clutch pedal  ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
Congratulations.  And you never put yourself through the windscreen by using the phantom clutch pedal  ;)

Good advice.

Keep your left foot out of the way,  I drove automatics for many years overseas (and my wifes in UK) and your left foot is not good for braking, it is just tempting fate to try to brake with it.. you never really want to brake and accelerate at the same time anyway.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
No, don't get into left foot braking. Apart from anything else you may have to go back to a manual some day!
I only ever went for the phantom clutch once, long before I ever got an automatic of my own. It was a Ford Corsair, and it had a big, wide brake pedal. It is amazing the emergency stop you can manage with both feet on the brake!
I have to admit, since going back to the manual I have forgotten to de-clutch twice during rapid stops!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »
Enjoy your new Jazz

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
Glad you are enjoying the new car. I'm enjoying mine. First Tesco trip this morning and first refuel. We'll have to keep comparing notes :)

CATech

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 67 plate EX CVT
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
Had my EX CVT for 3 weeks now....done 500 miles (mostly on M5 and60-65mph) and a little disappointed at the real world ( .... yes I write down petrol fill-ups into a spreadsheet......sad) mpg.
I'm getting 42-45mpg....I was getting 55-60 in the manual SE. I'm guessing that the engine is still "tight" ?? and we've had c-c-c-c-cold weather.
Though I thought engines were now "run -in"??

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 04:17:53 PM »
( .... yes I write down petrol fill-ups into a spreadsheet......sad)
Doesn't everybody?

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 04:22:45 PM »
Had my EX CVT for 3 weeks now....done 500 miles (mostly on M5 and60-65mph) and a little disappointed at the real world ( .... yes I write down petrol fill-ups into a spreadsheet......sad) mpg.
I'm getting 42-45mpg....I was getting 55-60 in the manual SE. I'm guessing that the engine is still "tight" ?? and we've had c-c-c-c-cold weather.

I felt my engine was tight when new. It seemed much happier after 15000 or so, but this is subjective. It wasn't reflected in fuel consumption, but I may have been driving harder as it loosened up. Engine seemed quieter and smoother too.

I track all my fuel usage with Fuelly on my iPhone. Very easy to add litres and miles while still at the pump. Attached is a current screenshot from my phone. (Data is also uploaded to Fuelly and accessible on computer).

Overall average is 46.0 average over 23,328 miles. I am not a hypermiler, and use the performance available up to the speed limits.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:27:23 PM by mikebore »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 04:54:24 PM »
I've had a mk3 cvt for 20,000 miles, after 70,000 in a mk 2 manual.  Fuel consumption has been consistently around 8% better in the Mk3, with a real world lifetime average of 50.4mpg for the same driving pattern.  Cold weather certainly seems to affect
consumption.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »
What? That's appalling. I am currently getting around 45mpg (yes, measured pump to pump) from a 25 mile round-trip commute including two miles of rush hour traffic in the evening. On a long motorway run I'd expect over 60mpg. Close to 70mpg in fact. Although I do tend to sit in lane one at around 60mph with the cruise control on.

But cold weather seems to impact the Mk3 more than any other car I've owned. Come summer (if it ever does, please God) I'll expect to return to well over 50mpg on my commute. Typically around 55mpg.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:22:03 PM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »
The cold weather has destroyed my mpg. Wet roads have a huge impact (even worse of you have wide tyres). Throw wind into the mix and the wee car struggles.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »
( .... yes I write down petrol fill-ups into a spreadsheet......sad)
Doesn't everybody?

I certainly do! Panicked when we went down to Cornwall last September. The app for fuelly on my smartphone doesn't seem to work (almost certainly something to do with me) and I hadn't got my lap top. Took a manual note everytime I filled up. Updated fuelly before we unpacked!

Tags: