Author Topic: Dash cam crash videos  (Read 3697 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Dash cam crash videos
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »
IAM means travelling to do it. I'd rather do it locally, and it is not as if the driving school is going to be selling me lessons. I'll have a look at the IAM Mature Driver Review. See how close to home I can arrange it.

guest5079

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
I am interested about Jocko and how smoother his Brother's driving was after his police course and how much safer passengers felt.
In the main I have always strived to maintain my standard but a friend who is a retired lorry driver and subsequent postman always complains that I drive too fast. Bit of a cheek when postman are considered amongst the worse drivers in the UK and before all you posties think of stringing me up, this came from the Royal Mail. The friend now has a Hyundai i20 and it has a meter in the pinnacle that tells him how much fuel he is using. I have commented previously how he changes gear into the highest he can at virtually tick over speed. It makes for very uncomfortable riding. We were taught the use the gear that the engine is happy in without struggling or revving excessively. I have tried explaining all this to no avail. His Hyundai does circa 55 mpg and my Jazz with another 200 cc does approaching 50mpg. I feel very uncomfortable riding with him as not only is he stressing the car but plodding up hill in a high gear means the traffic behind starts building up. Sorry, the police taught me and that's how I try and remember to drive.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 02:05:11 PM »
A friend of mine is a police advanced driver now retired and was a traffic policeman.
Whenever I was a passenger with him I was always surprised to find that he would be in a lower gear than I would have been in the same circumstances.
I queried this and he said that way the car was always more responsive both to acceleration and engine braking.
Naturally I tried this while still driving manual gear boxes and found he was right.
Driving the Jazz CVT this technique is possible if you use the 'S' mode more often and presumably would be possible using the paddle shift where fitted.
The effect on fuel consumption is only slight.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »
Whenever I was a passenger with him I was always surprised to find that he would be in a lower gear than I would have been in the same circumstances.
I queried this and he said that way the car was always more responsive both to acceleration and engine braking.
Naturally I tried this while still driving manual gear boxes and found he was right.
Fine when someone else is paying for the fuel. Your CVT may not make a huge difference to fuel consumption, but in a normal, manual transmission, especially a powerful car, it makes a big difference. Even my Jazz. On a level road 30 mph in 3rd shows 30 mpg. In 5th, 55 mpg.

guest5079

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »
It is not so much the gear selected but the engine revolutions. Clearly if 5th gear at 30mph is more economical it is because of lower revolutions. Having said that 5th gear at 20mph is not saving petrol, it used to be 56mph being the optimum speed for fuel economy, now we have rev counters. Even Traffic had restrictions and I would suggest when just patrolling instant acceleration was not always the order of the day. Surprisingly fuel consumption WAS watched very carefully when I was wearing my posh blue suit. In fact on more than one occasion  we had to park our cars and walk. NOT TOO far was the order in case we need you. Incidentally when I was selling our Renault, I took the buyer for a run and he queried why I missed out gears, was there something wrong with the gearbox. I told him why, on the flat it was often acceptable to change from say 2nd to4th because 3rd was unnecessary. Here in the West Country The coppers in the Cafe to meet the public being the latest idea. Backfired it seems as nobody wanted to. I was constantly told as a Rural officer, I was an unnecessary expense and so all the graduate 'managers' and their number crunching got rid of the Bobby on the beat. NOW they are all whining as the street is where the intelligence is. Each station had a collator who was often an injured copper. He took all our intelligence and sifted it. All gone, I believe it's all pumped into a computer to sort it which will never work. Sorry well off subject again.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
I was an unnecessary expense and so all the graduate 'managers' and their number crunching got rid of the Bobby on the beat. NOW they are all whining as the street is where the intelligence is. Each station had a collator who was often an injured copper. He took all our intelligence and sifted it. All gone, I believe it's all pumped into a computer to sort it which will never work. Sorry well off subject again.

Too many politically correct, fast tracked graduates with no experience of everyday police work with the public. No-one should be fast tracked too fast through a system no matter how many degrees they have because it is so important to know what police on the front line are facing everyday before you can make informed decisions about anything.  And hard learned lessons go deeper and are remembered longer than a 30 minute powerpoint presentation LOL.  Computers are good for storing information (unless they get hacked) but sometimes it takes a human being to join the dots and make a picture.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 02:45:06 PM »
Thank you Culzean. Your comments help a worn out retired copper no end. I have quoted this before. When at the Police Training Centre Ashford where I did my initial and follow up training, the first time we were divided up into syndicates ( classes) I was 34yrs of age left school at 16. In the same syndicate was another oldey a mere 32. Behind me for the 10 weeks was a double first Cambridge. At the end of the initial training out of the 50 odd entrants. I was beaten in to 4th place by the other oldey. A Professor came top. The double first was absolutely useless to the point where he was warned about his attitude. My training Sgt to the best of my knowledge was an ordinary bloke who worked hard and made Chief Super. I am sorry, to say this but it is common sense that is a coppers best friend, all the learning in the world does not get you out of the sh*t on a Saturday night.
My only regret is that I did my years without pushing myself just a little bit, which of course would have meant a bigger pension. My observations of modern day police is very jaundiced. Having said that the majority of coppers are honest hard working people doing a really shi**y job. Literally at times

Tags:

anything