Author Topic: where have all the brains gone?  (Read 2756 times)

guest5079

where have all the brains gone?
« on: December 19, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
Yes the moany old git is off again:  Yesterday was foggy with visibility circa 100 metres. 50% plus no lights at all some had side lights mixed with the usual one eyed monsters.
There has recently been a query re the gunge that attaches itself to the inside of the screen and I have to clean ours frequently. I am utterly amazed at the way motoring is going, with some drivers blissfully unaware of what is required of them. Woman opposite is a smoker I have NEVER seen her clean her screen and only once seen her top up her washer bottle. How can they see when the visibility was a reduced as it was?
While waiting for my Wife in the local shop car park, a male, getting on in years parked in the road ( foggy) crossed the road, too tired to use the car park. As he crossed the road  he was trying to read something on the parcel in his hands. It was no more than 6inches from his nose alright 15cms. Obviously had a sight problem and he was driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: where have all the brains gone?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
Which reminds me this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-42307083 ? The driver will probably get their knuckles rapped with a feather and told to behave better next time.

I'm one who believes that not being in safe control of a deadly weapon (which vehicles are) should be treated as a serious crime. And then I read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-42408477. Something doesn't add up when someone jailed for 3 years in November 2016 was killed in a crash in December 2017.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »
I think brains are not such a popular accessory these days.

There was a time, not that long ago, when a dud headlight, brake light or tail lamp would get you a pull. There's so many now, I think a lot of people just leave them until the next MOT or service. Some put foglights on so they can see better, and plenty just have front foglights on all the time. Drives me mad, especially when it's cobbing it down.

And then I read this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-42408477. Something doesn't add up when someone jailed for 3 years in November 2016 was killed in a crash in December 2017.

It says he was released earlier in 2017. Chuff me, he can't have served long!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »
Too many people do not pay anywhere near enough attention to their driving these days, they are in a bubble with their infotainment and phone. They need to realise they are driving a machine capable of killing, and have a duty to other road users and pedestrians to pay full attention to what they are doing. So called driving aids have made people even less attentive.   Drivers who abuse the privilege of having a licence need to have it taken away to remind them of their duties to others.

As for driver sentenced to 3 years and out less than a year later......

The sentence handed down in court means nothing these days, the ringleader of Asian child trafficking gang in Telford was given 14 years (not nearly enough), saw recently they planned to release him after 5 - I wrote to my MP  and home Secretary to ask WTF was going on, his release is being reviewed but only after massive public protest. Our legal system is broken, too many laws but hardly any justice.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:03:50 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 03:16:12 PM »
I reckon a lot of today's drivers think that their indicators are automatic like lights and wipers. A lot of drivers just don't indicate anymore especially at roundabouts.
There are virtually no traffic police on patrol these days so the bollocking for a minor infringement just doesn't happen anymore.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »
There are virtually no traffic police on patrol these days so the bollocking for a minor infringement just doesn't happen anymore.
Traffic police could easily be self-funding if on-the-spot fines become more commonplace. They can carry a card reader for those who don't have cash.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
The sentence handed down in court means nothing these days...

...Our legal system is broken, too many laws but hardly any justice.

I quite agree. The proportion of a sentence that you can serve on probation, or 'monitored' in the community, seems to be something of a lottery.

What I find really shocking is the actual crimes that you can commit and not receive a custodial sentence. Like I always say, you have to do something really serious in this country to get locked up, like not paying your TV license.

Traffic police could easily be self-funding if on-the-spot fines become more commonplace. They can carry a card reader for those who don't have cash.

They would wear the card readers out in no time around here. They should have a shotgun too, to shoot the bloody foglights out!

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
There used to be a VDRS scheme ( Vehicle defect rectification scheme) in my days. If it was a headlight out, we were expected to have seen the vehicle on two separate occasions. Along came the above scheme. Basically if a motorist was driving with defects, out came the pad. If the defects were not sorted I think within two weeks, it automatically went to a summons. If the defects were sorted the car had to be taken to a MOT station and at that time it was £10 for the VDRS to be stamped. Also within the form was the old HORT1 or present documents at a police station ( Joke where are they) if not done again summons. This really was a good system as it gave the motorist a chance which the greater majority took. and it was a time saver for plod.
I have continuing difficulty with a couple nearby. So I did a check on their vehicles. The Ford Transit Van ( he is an electrician), was not taxed nor had it been since the summer and under the new system of checking MOT's I looked at the record of this van. For the past 4 yrs it has failed on multiple faults.  Tyres,  each and every year he had received advisories for tyres only to fail again when represented. One year an advisory for defective number plate only to fail on that very point along with others the next year. Does this person not work it out that it is dangerous to drive on defective tyres. Can he not work it out that to fail four years running on tyres needs some thought. I do wonder if this is the way modern young people think. £1000 for the latest Apple phone but sod the safety on a vehicle which is probably loaded well as cable weighs a lot. Sorry, road safety, think about other motorist? NO so long as they can cock a snoot at the law and continue to use their phones while driving all is well with their little world. As an addendum it would be nice to check his Insurance status but it seems without payment and a good reason this can't be done.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
Thanks for the tip but it is as I stated, there are caveats and in all honesty I cannot fulfill them.
It is surprising that one can check car tax and MOT but the most important is out of reach to the concerned public. Of course like all matters it would be open to abuse but then back to the car tax and MOT where it is readily available.

emmerdale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »
Don’t the same conditions apply to checking tax and mot? I’m afraid that in the circumstances you mentioned I would check anyway

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
Don’t the same conditions apply to checking tax and mot? I’m afraid that in the circumstances you mentioned I would check anyway
Anyone can check tax and MOT, but the MIB site tells you you can only check if: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client. I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1998

I too would check anyway, if I had good reason to.

Tags:

anything