Author Topic: Fuel prices  (Read 1689 times)

guest5079

Fuel prices
« on: December 15, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
Sure is a sign of age, I posted about the price of fuel in Canada and now I can't find it. However I stated a price of circa 50cents a gallon and was taken to task. Quite rightly as my quote was a little old.
I Emailed my Brother for the latest price and this is the reply:
Last week He paid $Canadian 1.05 and this week 1.16 which I believe is what Jocko quoted. I checked the value of pound / Canadian dollar, at  the time of checking about half an hour ago it was 0.58 of the pound so petrol there is still what we would like to pay. Problem is I forgot to ask if Canada has imperial or US gallons.
I also asked if this price was Dominion wide and He just said it's cheaper in Alberta being close to the source.
So not hot air just cheaper fuel.
Sorry for the brain problem.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Fuel prices
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 09:40:20 AM »
Problem is I forgot to ask if Canada has imperial or US gallons.
Canada appears to use Litres for their fuel measurement. I don't know it that is just the French Eastern areas or the whole country. The Canadian guys I chat to on Fuelly, and the like, all quote their Fuel Efficiency in L/100km. I believe Canada went metric in the 1970s.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
Go to Canada oif you want Canadian fuel prices. Any comparison without mentioning UK taxes on fuel is meaningless.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 11:34:33 AM »
Yes I know they use the metric system BUT my Brother converts some things into imperial. As to going to Canada, yes I would have liked to emigrate. Trying in the 60's with a Father in Law who had a Canadian passport made no difference. We were refused while those from the Indian sub continent were allowed in their droves. My Brother and I share the same Father and his Uncle on his Mothers side was a high up in a Canadian firm which made it easier to emigrate. My Brother is also a qualified Farrier which until he and the Canadian government got together no such qualification existed in Canada.  As to comparison of fuel prices, yes we have to pay a huge amount in tax but the Canadians don't. Not being an expert I have no idea as to whether we are the MOST taxed on fuel on the globe BUT if you live in the outback in Canada there are no refuse collections etc and VERY strict rules on disposal. So it is swings and roundabouts.
Returning to the price of fuel, it was not meant as a direct comparison because that would involve upper level maths and a degree in politics so to do. The whole question is subjective after all, what do we do on Club Jazz but compare each others cars mpg when at the end of the day fuel consumption is purely relative to amongst other things our driving habits and how well the car is maintained. So when one driver gets 50 mpg and another only 45mpg, it is a comparison but  like comparing fuel prices it is dependent on many variables.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:55:09 AM »
My father had an army mate who emigrated to Canada straight after the war. In 1950 he returned and invited my dad to join him in his trucking business (they were both army drivers). He said he would stake my dad for 50% of the business, payable back over a few years, and they would be equal partners. My dad thought long and hard about it, but my mum was pregnant and I was barely two, so he declined.
His mate came back again in the early 70's, and looked my dad up. By that time he had a fleet of 70 trucks, four distribution warehouses and had just bought a small chain of supermarkets. He was as rich as Croesus and my dad had missed the opportunity of a life time. You win some, you lose some.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 12:02:03 PM »
Most expensive - Hong Kong 1.52 (China 0.82), Iceland 1.45, Monaco 1.40

Greece 1.37, Italy 1.37, Netherlands 1.39 are in the top 10
Spain 1.09, Germany 1.20, UK 1.21, Belgium 1.22, Ireland 1.24, France 1.24
USA 0.55, Mexico 0.70, Canada 0.77

Prices in GBP/litre, doesn't include outliers such as Falkland Islands etc.
--
TG

Source: http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 01:35:27 PM »
We were refused while those from the Indian sub continent were allowed in their droves.

There are a surprising number of Asians in Canada, including a lot of Chinese.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: