Author Topic: AA Breakdown Cover - worth a haggle  (Read 26036 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: AA Breakdown Cover - worth a haggle
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
I've used GEM on and off for many years, they are one of the best out there but prices have crept up a little in recent years.

AutoAid is another low cost one worth considering if you on a budget, currently about £43 for you and (married) spouse for full cover including home start, and get decent write ups.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
I've been an RAC member since 1978. Never considered changing. I have the full package and it covers me irrespective of the vehicle I am in, even as a passenger. Seldom had to call them out, but when I have it has been a godsend.

guest5079

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
I used the RAC for some time but when we bought the Honda which came with breakdown, I contacted the RAC and asked if they would suspend the membership. NO, you lose all you have paid  ( 8 months worth)and they told us we couldn't have AA and RAC alongside one another.
When the Honda breakdown ran out I did some research and the AA came up with a really good package. I  had to call them out when the 'torchbattery' under the bonnet went flat after an hour of the interior light being on. No problems.
Up for renewal at the end of October so I suspect I have some haggling to do.

Not car related but beware when something is up for renewal. My BT broadband came  up for renewal   last week and I had forgotten. I had negotiated a deal as I only wanted broadband and no films or sport etc. The only info about the increase in price was tucked away on the last phone bill.No warning just under line rental was the increase from a certain date.  Awaiting an answer from the mighty BT.

guest5079

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
Well I got my answer as to how much the AA will want. It has just dropped through the letter box

£258.30 yes that right!!!! A letter is on it's way. Unfortunately I cannot use a telephone.

So I went onto some comparison sites and also the Auto Express site who rate Gem as the top dog.
Even Green Flag that quoted £110 for what I want, through the Auto Express link it came out at about two thirds of this. I just do not understand what is going on. It seems if you do a direct check it is a high price and then through links it comes down.
According to one site the AA is charging £109 for what I want. £149 less than my quote. Perhaps the AA want some new vans. I shall send an Email to RAC and see what they come up with but I have to admit I am a bit shocked.
It is unfortunate that we are conditioned to think that the smaller enterprise is not up to snuff but Gem get the thumbs up seemingly everywhere.
I understand it is a club and an interesting point was they do not accept disqualified drivers.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
I was a member of GEM (the Guild of Experienced Motorists) for many years. It was The Company of Veteran Motorist when I joined, hence the "V" badge.

Basically, how their system works is you arrange your own recovery, pay for it, then they reimburse your outlay. Fine if you are in a position to do that. Wouldn't want to pay for a recovery from Cornwall to Scotland even if I would be reimbursed immediately!

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »
Hi all
I use Green Flag for UK and Continental cover.
Every Year the new quote comes in, I check on their website / comparison sites, ring them up and they come down to the web advertised price.
yet to breakdown but I always find the price competitive.
I suppose I can't truly judge till I need them but it's piece of mind all the same.

guest1372

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »
RAC renewal: 4 different (similar) prices via renewal email, direct to their website, via Tesco clubcard vouchers, or via Quidco.
Had the Tesco clubcard balance anyway so it was either Prezzo or RAC.  Needed £17 of vouchers (at 3x value) for basic cover I recall - Tip: follow links to get confirmed price before converting vouchers as no change given.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »
My RAC membership for 2017/18 is costing me £152.99, including Home Start and Recovery.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »
Been with AA for ever, and have roadside and home start - never used them for anything and had the cover mainly for her indoors, who has used them once when she managed to lock her key in her car many years ago.  Our membership is due every August and every May or thereabouts the AA send me an offer that I can have recovery for £10 for remainder of the present membership year, but in small print it says that by accepting the offer your next year's subscription will automatically include recovery but AT FULL COST - what kind of idiots do they think they are dealing with ? If cover was just for me I would cancel the whole thing, but as I said her indoors has a car and it eases my mind that she can call AA if she needs to.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
You can pay more at GEM so you don't need to fill out any forms for reimbursement.

To be fair, we drive Jazz- it doesn't break down, lol! I never used it until 3 yrs after my first membership for a flat battery. The membership covers any cars and a family member too. Get 4 magazines in a year. I went for the reimbursement method as it's cheaper and also hoping I wouldn't be using much because I drive a Honda!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:42:58 AM by 123Drive! »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 06:56:07 AM »
Since giving up my membership (when I retired), I have to admit I miss the magazines. They were always a good read. I featured once on their Backchat page.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »
Roadside assistance companies like AA should give no claims discounts just like insurance companies do, after all they are selling insurance service of a kind.  This may encourage persistent claimants to look after their vehicles better.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 07:54:24 AM »
Roadside assistance companies like AA should give no claims discounts just like insurance companies do, after all they are selling insurance service of a kind.  This may encourage persistent claimants to look after their vehicles better.
The RAC has done that for years. In fact they just stopped that system my renewal before last. Now they use a call out quota. The annual quota starts at 5 calls per year and increases if you have been a loyal member or if there are multiple people covered on the policy.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
The RAC has done that for years. In fact they just stopped that system my renewal before last. Now they use a call out quota. The annual quota starts at 5 calls per year and increases if you have been a loyal member or if there are multiple people covered on the policy.

My AA  renewal states 'unlimited callouts' but being as my lifetime average callout rate is exactly 0 per year it does not mean much,  what they are doing is kind of penalizing frequent users but not rewarding members who don't tie up their technicians because of a puncture, a 10 year old battery that failed or a cambelt that never got changed and broke on the motorway and other 'complete lack of maintenance' stuff.  As I said if cover was just for me I would not pay them another penny.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
I have had 6 call outs in 39 years. And one of them was due to a problem they created at a call out a few days earlier!

Tags: