Author Topic: What is this part?  (Read 2937 times)

guest4019

What is this part?
« on: April 04, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »
Hi Club Jazz,

Unfortunately, someone ran into the back of my wife's jazz yesterday :'(.
Some learner driver on a the slip road of a fast dual carriageway decided to do an emergency stop instead of merging. I stopped but the guy behind me didn't, and went into the back of me.

There's not much damage, but some piece of metal has pierced the bumper:

There is an identical part the other side, which hasn't pierced the bumper, just made a slight mark.

The bootlid has sustained a bit of damage, but other than that there doesn't seem to be much, so she got off pretty lightly given the speeds involved (70mph limit).

So, my question is, what is this piece of metal sticking out of my bumper, and what is its purpose?

Thanks,
minnis

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: What is this part?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »
Looks like part of the bumper support.  By the way Honda supplies pre-painted bumpers for their cars, I had one fitted when someone tail-ended me (wasn't fitted by Honda garage but by a local body shop from my insurance companies approved list).

I would check the panel gap on the rear doors (especially nearside) and make sure they still open and close properly - a rear end shunt can push bodywork forward.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:37:05 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4019

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »
Cheers for the reply.

Insurance is taking the car at some point (was meant to hear back within 24 hours, but being Easter weekend I'm not holding my breath). Will check the rear doors tomorrow, I definitely checked the rear passenger door yesterday but not sure if I've checked the drivers side. Thanks for the heads up :)

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »
Also check inside the boot, inside the spare wheel well, if the boot floor is buckled its £1500+ to repair, the car might be written off. This is the most common accident driving instructors have, pupils stall and the cars behind run into the back of the learner car. (Not that I am saying thats what happened here :) )

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:48:36 PM »
A similar thing happened to me, but it was a low speed impact and the bumper popped back out leaving just the hole where the support pierced the bumper.

Someone two cars in front stopped to let someone out of a side road and someone three cars back didn't. Four cars involved in total.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:58:33 PM »
It's a bolt-on collapsible post. The plastic bumper will absorb some of the impact and the post behind it absorbs the rest. To a point it'll save the rest of the rear of the car. They essentially are an extension of the rear chassis legs.

I've still got to get mine fixed.

Tags: