Author Topic: Cheap aftermarket cats  (Read 13294 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Cheap aftermarket cats
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
So should an aftermarket Cat be OK?

I'm not sure the original needed replacing but I had the whole exhaust system replaced as it had a couple of holes developing in it and given the age of the car elected to have it all replaced at once instead of in sections as they failed.

Car is 10 years old with 80K on the clock.

I'm hoping to keep the car for another 2-3 years but don't want to be in and out of the garage all of the time due to a faulty catalytic converter.

Exhaust has got a two year guarantee which I assume includes the cat as well.
Surely an aftermarket Cat should be good for at least a few years?

I had one fitted (see above) at kwit fit and the fitter told me that it is identical to the one honda use in that, it comes out of the same factory but doesn't have the honda branding.

No sure how true that is, but I have heard others say this before.

Probably not true,  car makers have strict quality standards for their suppliers parts and don't like failures in service which gives the whole car and the car maker a bad name,  they expect (example) a battery to last 5 years, a CAT to last >150K , an exhaust system to last 10 years etc. etc. 

Aftermarket exhausts are half the weight of an OEM system because thinner wall tubing is used,  the aftermarket unbranded CAT will have less active and lower quality oxidizing material in them - I have heard that scrap dealers will give good prices for OEM branded CATs (because of all the expensive metals in them)  but nothing for aftermarket ones.

Quote below from CAT manufacturers website. Basically CATS need to run very hot to work properly and oxidise exhaust gas efficiently, and just like a DPF frequent short hops without a motorway run or Italian tuneup will effectively cause them to block up and fail. Just another reason to avoid very low mileage (for their age) vehicles when buying secondhand. Puttering around below 2000rpm all the time is probably considered 'engine abuse' by Honda lovers all over the world.  Honda should put a 'born to rev' sticker on their engines.

Short journeys can contribute towards a short catalytic converter life. Unless the
vehicle reaches normal operating temperature (not necessarily as indicated by the
water temperature gauge) on a journey the converter will become blocked/
restricted and lead to premature failure.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:03:44 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything