Author Topic: Honda Jazz 1.2 54 Plate MOT Advisories  (Read 7797 times)

guest4675

Honda Jazz 1.2 54 Plate MOT Advisories
« on: January 24, 2015, 08:28:01 AM »
Hi I had the following on my recent MOT and wondered if anyone had a ball park figure on getting them sorted.

Both front brake pipes slightly corroded
Both back brake pipes slightly corroded
Centre exhaust Heatshield loose

I took it to a council garage so unfortunately they don't do repairs there and don't want to get the wool pulled over my eyes.  Thanks in advance. 

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Honda Jazz 1.2 54 Plate MOT Advisories
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »
Honda charged best part of £200 to put a new piece in corroded rear brake pipes on my wifes Jazz - it was marked as an advisory for 3 years before it was deemed a fail, if there is only slight corrosion you could treat it with rust cure and put some extra protection like hammerite paint over the pipe to prevent further rusting.

you may be able to secure heatshield to exhaust using a larger jubilee hose clip.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4675

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:25:53 AM »
Honda charged best part of £200 to put a new piece in corroded rear brake pipes on my wifes Jazz - it was marked as an advisory for 3 years before it was deemed a fail, if there is only slight corrosion you could treat it with rust cure and put some extra protection like hammerite paint over the pipe to prevent further rusting.

you may be able to secure heatshield to exhaust using a larger jubilee hose clip.
Thanks for that. Think I will let an independent garage that my wife tends to use and see what the damage is, want them to investigate a clunking noise I'm getting when turning and also possibly a seized rear caliper. My battery died on me a couple of weeks ago also. Love the car though.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
Get out a wire brush and  give said rusted pipes a go over. Smear with grease, job done.
If it's advisory he sounds like a bit of a jobs worth.
The guy I take mine to would zip clip the loose heat shield up for free.

If it's clinking when setting off it sounds like wishbone bush's. But maybe heat shield banging about. Secure that first.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 01:55:29 AM »

Not really. As it's an advisory, he can write as much as he likes as far as I'm concerned (usually as an arse-covering exercise in case the man from the ministry comes a knocking.)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »
Its good to take notice of advisories as they are next years potential MOT fail,  although my mate who works in the industry says testers do like to be seen writing advisories as it is seen as 'being on the ball' if and when the inspector calls.

I know the rear brake pipes are prone to corrosion on GD Jazz,  as in the area of the rear swinging arms someone at Honda thought it was OK to strip the plastic coating on steel brake pipes back by about 150mm - never had problems with front pipes though. My GD was a Jap built one as well - ----
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4675

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
Is it odd then that looking through the previous invoices i got when I purchased the car that it looks like it had all its brake pipes refitted in 2012 by Honda.

guest4675

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
Get out a wire brush and  give said rusted pipes a go over. Smear with grease, job done.
The guy I take mine to would zip clip the loose heat shield up for free.

If it's clinking when setting off it sounds like wishbone bush's. But maybe heat shield banging about. Secure that first.
I'm getting a definite clunking sound from my front left tyre whenever I go over potholes or speedbumps. Then sometimes a knocking sound under breaking but I'm not sure if that's the caliper or not.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »
Is it odd then that looking through the previous invoices i got when I purchased the car that it looks like it had all its brake pipes refitted in 2012 by Honda.

that's definitely odd - brake pipes don't rust enough in two years to get mentioned on MOT - must be very light rust,  although when Honda replaced my wifes rear ones they  put a coppery looking piece in (replaced about 250mm of pipe)

guest4675

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Independent garage had a look today. They think the pipes look fine and said should pass next mot.  So that's good news. Needs new caliper, rear break pads charging £186 for that.

Needs to go back for a strut mounting for the knocking on the passenger side. Just waiting for them to price that job up because they can't source the part for a few days. Been an expensive month. Hope this is all it needs for a while now.

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Cost me 22euros half year ago to change my rear brake pipes on jazz.
Than again I didn't do it in UK.

guest4512

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »
Independent garage had a look today. They think the pipes look fine and said should pass next mot.  So that's good news. Needs new caliper, rear break pads charging £186 for that.

Needs to go back for a strut mounting for the knocking on the passenger side. Just waiting for them to price that job up because they can't source the part for a few days. Been an expensive month. Hope this is all it needs for a while now.
Excessive brake wear and tear is all too common in Hondas unfortunately,  parts are cheap however.

guest4675

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »
Strut top mounting is apparently the issue causing the knocking quote to fix is £134.

Tags:

anything