Author Topic: Help! Ticking noise appears when i am doing 55mph and over?  (Read 4422 times)

majic

• Registered Member
Help! Ticking noise appears when i am doing 55mph and over?
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:10:55 PM »
Honda Jazz 2005

Hey guys.. so this ticking noise appears on motorway journeys. Up to 55mph its just engine noise you could hear. But once i touch 55-60mph a tick tick noise develops. Also as i speed up from 55mph to 70, the ticking noise gets faster with the engine speed. The gearbox on this car is fine, no bearing noise depressing the clutch, just thought i'd let u all know. It is a 2005 plate honda jazz. Any ideas or advice??

Thanks in advance..

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Help! Ticking noise appears when i am doing 55mph and over?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
So this noise only occurs on motorways ? Anyway it is associated with road speed.

There could be something jammed in a tyre, that will make a 'ticking noise', I have had that happen.

Vic.

majic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:06:07 AM »
Yes only on motorway journeys when i am doing more than city road speeds. I have checked my tyres this morning they all seem to be fine. All have plenty of tread on them. One of my front tyre does seem to have a bit of a bulge on the side wall (pushes out a bit) compared to the rest? The tyres are all 185/55 R15 82V

Another thing about this problem is that you can feel it on the accelerater pedal as you apply pressure on it.

guest4078

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:08 PM »
I was going to say is it something in a tyre's tread, so beaten to it.
How about the cat, just under your feet in the saloon, does get hot, can make funny noises? Something catching in brake or other rotating bits?

majic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:21:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.. i just found something else out. So i was on the motorway doing 60mph and i could hear the ticking noise. Whilst doing 60mph I popped it out of gear into neutral and the noise went. And when i put it back into gear and accelerated gently, the noise reappeared.

guest4078

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »
Well, one persons 'tick' is another persons 'rumble' etc. I wouldn't really describe my gearbox bearing issues noise as a 'tick. If you are worried, there is a good video on utube of a Jazz gearbox in full bearing racket, have a listen.
If it is still ok-ish squirt some molyslip gearbox additive in and it should quieten it down, it did for mine for quite a while.

majic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:44:39 PM »
It isnt the same as the gearbox bearing rumble when dipping the clutch in and out.. not even sure if it is the bearing or maybe something else but it is definitely ticking away and related to the gearbox. I have driven a honda jazz with a noisy gearbox and i know the difference between the two sounds thats why i first mentioned it didnt seem to be the gearbox thrust/release bearing as my aunt has a honda jazz with a rumbling gearbox. I was just worried that this ticking was from the engine or tappets.

Where do i put molyslip into the gearbox from. Through the gearbox transmission fluid fill hole?

guest4078

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »
Yes, when mine got noisy I changed the oil in the gearbox and put a tube of moly slip in too.

Its not piston slap is it?

Tags: