Author Topic: windsreen washers not working  (Read 26223 times)

guest2971

windsreen washers not working
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »
Hi all, nice forum. I have a 2004 1.4 se auto and the windscreen washers are not working...no noise either so I am pretty sure the pump or motor has gone. Can anyone tell me how to find and replace it please? I am guessing I will have to remove the right front wheel and possibly the wheel arch covering? Or do I have to remove the whole front bumper??!! >:(
Help is needed urgently as I have to go up the motorway tomorrow  :(

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: windsreen washers not working
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
Hello and welcome Steve  8)

Sorry cant help you with your problem but I usually just pop down to my local Honda dealer and they sort me out

guest2971

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
thanks...anyone else know how to do this?

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »
easy access: you just remove right front wheel and plastic trim from wheel arch and you will see pumps.

I've replaced one recently: original washer pump is kind of costly, so I used this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290535149884?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
they have quite a few of that shape under different names.

BUT, it is NOT compatible directly:
1) it does not match rubber seal in washing liquid tank
so I removed it and used usual water sealing tape from homebase.
probably some sealant for bathroom/windows could be applied as well on top of that.
2) electric connector has different blade position
just removed(cut in pieces) connector's plastic cover

My Jazz is old enough to allow connectors sacrifice :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:00:05 PM by grdmitro »

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »
Personally I've never known the actual pump to fail. Before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing the pump, check all the usual obvious things like a blown fuse, bad connections, wire fallen off etc. Use a meter or a bulb to check that there is power to the pump when you operate the switch. These causes are hugely more likely than a failed pump. Good luck.

dg

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:48:34 PM »
right, in the GD model windscreen wipers and washer pumps are on the same fuse, so if wipers are working, it's not a fuse.
You can remove motor and try to run it directly off battery to test if it's wiring, although motor is much more likely to fail then wiring. Using electrical tester for this was not strait forward(or it's just bad tester).

guest2971

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
yes...the wipers work...so its not the fuse...could be the wiring maybe...any tips at getting at the motor...cant see how the wheel trim comes off...thanks a lot guys.

dg

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
wheel arch trim is held by few screws on the left and black plastic clips:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-ATV-FENDER-CLIPS-HONDA-TRX-500-450-400-350-300-250-RANCHER-TRX650-TRX680-/270863025404?pt=UK_CartsParts_Vehicles_ATVQuad_Trike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item3f10b1c4fc

just use flat screwdriver to move up head of the clip a bit and it comes of easily.

guest2971

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
and I am guessing its a twin outlet...for the rear as well? I found these on Ebay...this first one says be careful...must not run dry! maybe that's what happened? :  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L-K-NEW-2012-12V-WINDSCREEN-WASHER-PUMP-HONDA-SUBARU-PUSH-FIT-TYPE-/310370094940?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48437fcf5c       

also this one which looks like a single outlet to me : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-jazz-front-windscreen-washer-pump-Ewp1-6-/150551624929?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230d937ce1

guest2971

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »
OK, still having a small problem...I have taken off the wheel and trim and found there are 2 pumps...both are broken. I have found a replacement for the front pump on Ebay...£3, happy days. The rear pump is almost identical except the terminals are parallel instead of at 90 degrees as in the front pump. Can anyone suggest where to get a rear pump from? Why would they make them different!!?? If I just replace the front pump I am worried it may fail again as the rear one seems to be on the same circuit and as it is broken could this affect the other pump...?

The front pump is also found on a citroen/alfa http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370520979176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1180

but I cant find a rear one anywhere....HELP!!

guest4900

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
I had a similar problem . Water pump not working - i.e windscreen wipers working but no water being pumped through to front or back.

On my Honda Jazz 2005, there is one fuse that powers the wipers and the windscreen water motors. So I ruled out the fuse being the problem.

Removed the wheel trim cover to get to the motors, tested the connectors with a multi meter. They were fine, so whittled it down to the motors.

Decided to try tapping them with a hammer. This worked, amazingly for the rear motor but not the front motor.

Disconnected the connecting hose attached to the motor- let the water drain out fully.
Prised the motor out and then tested it by attaching it via some dodgy home made electrical wires to the car battery.
Motor did not make a noise but got warm. Though it was knackered- Re-attached it for one last try in the hope that it had been stimulated to work, and it did.

So there you go, solution - hit with hammer, if doesn't work, try some electric shock treatment.  :)

guest4954

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
I too had this problem.  I was unable to locate the fuse for the washers.  With the help of a Haynes manual I removed the wheel and wheel arch covering to expose the pumps.  I removed the connectors and with my wife operating the washer controls my multimeter showed that there was 12v at the connectors so proving that it had to be the pumps.  After reading an earlier post I reconnected the connectors and with my wife once again operating the washer controls I tapped the appropriate pump with the the blunt end of a large screwdriver until "hey presto" it sprang into life! Ditto the rear washer.  Problem solved!  I think they may have seized up due to lack of use during the dry spell.  In future I will use them periodically whether I need to or not.

Tags:

anything