Author Topic: LED Sidelights, NumberPlate Lights and Boot light  (Read 17407 times)

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
Re: LED Sidelights, NumberPlate Lights and Boot light
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
I have led's in front sidelights and they have been excellent.
My Jazz has just had it's first MOT and passed with flying colours with no comment regarding led's. (The rears are factory fitted)
I also fitted led's to my front interior lights and the boot. The boot light is a massive improvement. Much better than the original fag end fitted by Honda.
All led's were purchased on Ebay and were fitted around eighteen months ago and still going strong.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Did you fit multi-leds in the side lights? I would have thought the more powerful cree leds wouldn't be right because they are directional.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
Multi led. 4 or 6 I think
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »
Just bought these  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370965198648?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.
Arrived in 2 days, fitted, nice and bright.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »
from what I know of 'canbus error free' LED's they have an extra resistor across the bulb to bring the current draw up to same level as the normal filament bulb would draw, if the level of current is below that expected the canbus will throw up a 'blown bulb' error.  It will be more reliable than a filament bulb, and probably brighter.  Jazz does not have CanBus system, so ordinary LED bulbs will be OK

I used the type with LED focused forward (Cree, about 120 degree beam angle) type in the sidelight of GD Jazz I had because I tried a couple of multi-led types and they were disappointing, the single one filled the lens better.

In the Civic I had to buy 'high temperature resistant' LED sidelight bulbs (forward facing again) because they share the reflector with the main beam halogen / xenon headlight and this can melt plastic on normal led bulbs, especially the multi-storey type.  The higher temperature ones have an aluminium housing around the LED.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:15:02 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
I know this is an old topic.
I just wondered, a year on, how the LED bulb upgrades have been behaving , have they been reliable ?
I'm thinking of replacing my sidelight bulbs with LEDs, so particularly interested in their performance.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

They're still working great and haven't failed me. I was mainly worried about heat damage to the lens plastic for the sidelights (because they'r longer, they sit closer to it) but that hasn't been a problem either :).

Also, I just thought I'd update this with a quick addition I did to my boot.
I thought it was too dim despite adding in a slightly brighter LED, so I decided to add an LED strip light in there too:

It sits "facing" the sub so lights up the right hand side of the boot.

It was fairly cheap from eBay (a few quid) and was easy to wire up. Simply extend the wiring so it reaches around the boot and place under the plastic "lining" along the edge. Now connect it in parallel to your existing boot light.
The result? MUCH more light, for miniscule extra power consumption  :D

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
Hello Bill

I've just Part /Ex my Nissan Note with LED sidelights after 4 years of trouble free use. I've put them in my Jazz now (same bulbs) and never had a problem with them. One thing I have noticed is normal 501 bulbs seem to appear burnt very quickly (blackening on the glass) and last 18 months whilst the LEDs still soldier on. That's my experience of LED sidelight bulbs and am sticking with them for their reliability and good visibility. Note: I used to swap them for standard bulbs on MOT and then swap them back  ;D Regards John

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 11:19:31 PM »
I've currently got 10 led ones on my side lights and I have a 42 led coming for the centre dome light inside
I also think I'll get the 42 LEDs for the number plate lights and might go for some on the side lights but it might be overkill

Tags: