Author Topic: Product to restore headlights plastic  (Read 14207 times)

guest2915

Product to restore headlights plastic
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »
My Jazz headlights are not bad but they are tingeing a little bit on the yellow side.

I believe there are products which can restore the plastic and remove the yellowing.

Has anyone every used these? I know Zymol make such a product an wanted to know if anyone had experience of de yellowing headlight plastic.

Many thanks.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Re: Product to restore headlights plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
I just use ordinary car polish on mine, it keeps them clear and shiny.  I had a convertible many years ago and the plastic rear window was prone to yellowing and if left it would become brittle and crack as the roof was folded down , however I would apply car polish inside and out to kept it clear and supple.

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »

what product did you use for headlight polish.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
Use any good quality polish, I use Auto Glym or Turtle Wax Original.  I polished my Jazz last summer and then applied a covering of Turtle Wax Extra Gloss this locks in the shine and lasts for months. It is quick to apply and easier than a wax polish. I try to re-apply it every three months or so.  It is very thin and watery and just takes minutes to apply a thin coat over the entire car, bodywork, windows (but not windscreen) and plastics then a quick wipe over with a dry cloth and the shine is restored. It does not smear on plastics like a normal polish but restores them to a clean black.

guest2915

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
Found some stuff at Monza Car Care by Meguires called PlastX which is supposed to do the job. Will give MCC  a ring and see what they say.

guest2162

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
I suspect yellowing is not a surface problem, but right through the plastic. Still, attempting a restoration will be much cheaper than replacing, so an attempt is still worth making.

For hard plastic polishing generally, I use Brasso. Will restore scratched plastic side windows and plastic rear windows in hoods on open cars and that is the usage the vintage car fraternity often use it for.  I see no reason why a headlight should not work too.

Car polish will work, but will take longer as it's not so aggressive a polishing agent.

A Dremel or similar hand held wizzy thing will make the process a bit faster.

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:19:19 AM »
My wifes GD jazz (02) drivers side headlight had got very bad, and its due its MOT, so i bought some car plan cutting compound... i had to graft on it, but its come up like brand new! only cost a couple of quid off ebay, so a nice cheap fix!  :)

guest3113

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »
Best stuff to use is biorb plastic  tank restorer  and cleaner.Its designed  to remove scratches and marks from plastic  biorb fishtankks which get scratched form the stones etc.You can buy it from pets at home or any other pet shop and its less than a fiver and works a treat.I used it on my astra headlights as they were yellowish and stained and they came up like new. ;D

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »
thanks for the tip, £2.95 and headlights are shiny again
there is no much polish in the sachet but just enough to remove dirty/yellowish look
hope I would not need this again any time soon :)

Best stuff to use is biorb plastic  tank restorer  and cleaner

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »
I had good results using Fenwicks caravan window scratch remover from Halfords - use cotton cloth to apply it (old handkerchief or shirt)  - i thought it was smart to use a microfibre cloth even though it said "apply with cotton cloth" on the bottle but cotton does work much better than the expensive microfibre cloth i used.  overall didn't take too much time and effort to get the plastic looking like new.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest3418

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »
Found some stuff at Monza Car Care by Meguires called PlastX which is supposed to do the job. Will give MCC  a ring and see what they say.

PlastX works great especially with a mechanical polisher. I cleared up some headlights with it a few years back.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »
40 years ago we used the cheapest toothpaste for the headlamp glass  - inside & out

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »
modern plastic lens covers have UV coating on them and need a bit of TLC other wise you will rub through the coating and the plastic will degrade much quicker
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest593

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »
It's a much bigger problem in sunnier climates, but I'm seeing more vehicles here that have this issue.
When I was staying with my brother in California last time we did his cars headlights which were a bit yellow and dull, we then did the other vehicles in the household which made quite a difference to all of them.
I can't remember which product we used :-[ but it worked very well ;D.

2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Tags:

anything