Author Topic: 2012 Jazz Hybrid or Normal EX?  (Read 1611 times)

jasonevans

• Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
2012 Jazz Hybrid or Normal EX?
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:55:48 AM »
H everyone.

Looking at upgrading to a 2012 Jazz but not sure weather to go for the Hybrid or just a normal EX.
Was wondering what the real world consumpsion of both are.

Anyone out there with a Hybrid care to post there MPG  Also, what mileage are you on ? Looking around the hybrid section of the forum its seems anywhere from 44-61mpg for the hybrid.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:34:57 PM by jasonevans »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: 2012 Jazz Hybrid or Normal EX?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »
I am on my second hybrid Jazz. I use my cars as driving tuition cars and even on driving lessons with unaerodynamic roof signs and the air con on I still get 52mpg.

However I would suggest that you drive the two cars one after the other, and thats why I chose the hybrid, its quicker than the non-hybrid AND save fuel too.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:35:59 PM by Ozzie »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 06:43:24 PM »
I had the hybrid for several years. The boost to mpg was less than I had hoped for - between 10% and 15% better than the manual Mk 2 I used previously. However, the hybrid provides a much smoother drive, particular during initial acceleration when the relately weedy 13HP motor provides an useful boost. It's also reckoned that the lump of battery under the boot improves the ride.

For me, the key disadvantage of the hybrid is that having nowhere to store a spare wheel (I'm one of those who reckons that Murphy's law will strike when I'm in the middle of nowhere) so a space saver spare took up space in the boot. If your usage involves a large proportion of open road driving (which mine does) then the mpg improvement of the hybrid will be less than if you do a lot of urban driving or windy roads with a lot of deceleration / acceleration.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jasonevans

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I Think i'm convicing myself to purchase the Hybrid after reading that Ozzie got over 250k out of the hybrid and the battery was not an issue ( which was my major concern tbh ).

John, good point on a spare wheel . I wonder if I could fit a spacesaver one under the rear seat ??  ( I'm on my own so don't use the rear seats and i'm not a minicab , hehe ).

My jouney from Mon to Friday is a commute from Hatfield in Hertfordshire to Wood Green in London ( about 1hr ) so lots of stop start traffic in rush hour and then weekends mainly on motorways heading to racetracks over the country helping out friends who are racing seeing as I've given that up for the forseable future.

Quick question ,  How often does the CVT gearbox oil need to be changed on the Hybrid ?  And are all the Hybrids CVT or are some of them iShift ?      ( I'm looking at 2012-2013 plate Hybrids ) ?   sorry for the daft questions but Auto Jazz's are new to me.

Thanks for your input guys.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:12:32 PM by jasonevans »

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:18:40 AM »
A quick look at the model history on Honest John (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/jazz-2008/history/) suggests the hybrid was introduced after the iShift was dropped. Also CVT was standard.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 08:00:57 AM »
Quick question ,  How often does the CVT gearbox oil need to be changed on the Hybrid ?  And are all the Hybrids CVT or are some of them iShift ?      ( I'm looking at 2012-2013 plate Hybrids ) ?   sorry for the daft questions but Auto Jazz's are new to me.

Thanks for your input guys.
CVT fluid is to be changed every 25,000 miles or 2 years. All hybrids are CVT.
My 2011 Hybrid had flappy paddle gear change paddles to manually change through pre-set gear ratios. My 2015 hybrid has a Sports mode, and a low ratio option which is in my opinion better, but less flexible.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
I thought of buying a hybrid in 2012. The extra price then was prohibitive - for a private driver..  And no spare wheel  . Nor any space for one.

I had a  puncture in March 2018 (Beast from the East time)  in my non hybrid. The piece of steel ruined the tyre - the aerosol goo would not have worked. The spacesaver I had bought in 2012 worked well on the 70 mile home trip at 50mph..  Not many repair vehicles out on that day and very cold as well.

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »
Hybrid uses "hybrid battery" for start/stop driving, so normal 12V battery normally will not be used to start engine, neither from cold nor hot.

So, if you do lot of urban start/stop driving hybrid has the advantage.

As mentioned above, drive is quiet and smooth, acceleration to 30, 40 mph is brisk as there is no time lost to engage clutch and change gears.

My current urban consumption is around 46 MPG including morning warming up, but last summer 60 MPG was most common.

Open road driving, 60 MPG is easy achievable, even during cold days, at 60 to 70 mph.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 06:44:51 PM »
I Think i'm convicing myself to purchase the Hybrid after reading that Ozzie got over 250k out of the hybrid and the battery was not an issue ( which was my major concern tbh ).

John, good point on a spare wheel . I wonder if I could fit a spacesaver one under the rear seat ??  ( I'm on my own so don't use the rear seats and i'm not a minicab , hehe ).
Honda designed the hybrid electrics to give the battery an easy life (only once did I notice mine going below 50% charge) and the info at https://www.raccars.co.uk/news/are-used-hybrids-a-good-idea suggests a >10 year life expectancy.

My spare wheel lived in a bag (easy to find on ebay) which sat, untethered, on the boot floor. You could rely on the goo + AA (in event of a wrecked tyre) for your normal commute (which appears well-suited for the hybrid) and only take the spare on longer trips including places where the phone might not get a signal.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything