Author Topic: 1.4 automatic Jazz 07 steering rack cost?  (Read 5181 times)

Vigman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4. Automatic
1.4 automatic Jazz 07 steering rack cost?
« on: August 05, 2018, 11:32:26 AM »
Hi

Newbie here after many years in the Renault forum!

I've read the thread about stiff steering in this model 07 Jazz 1.4 automatic and see some people had the steering rack replaced.

I bought this quite recently and although old has only 25,000 miles and full Honda service history and a new MOT.

Recently I had the transmission fluid flushed and replaced to sort out the slight judder issue. At the same time the Honda dealer did a health check and the steering wasn't mentioned as an issue.

However, at motorway speeds the wheel seems really stiff to turn. Even at low speeds it is far stiffer than my old Renault Scenic which could be turned with one finger.

Anyway, this is obviously out of warranty so what could I expect to pay to change the steering rack ( at an independent garage Imuse at £30 per hour not a Honda dealer which charges £88+VAT per hour?

Also does the steering continue to get stiffer if nothing is done?

Thanks for letting me in the forum!

TIA

Vigman

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 1.4 automatic Jazz 07 steering rack cost?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 12:07:02 PM »
Welcome. The Jazz has electric power steering. Perhaps a fuse has blown. Check F2 (40A) in the engine fuse box.

Vigman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and reply.

I will do that but it is more like the issue I found in a long thread here on stiff and notchy steering on this model, especially at speed, where people with cars under warranty had their steering rack changed.

Vigman

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:28:56 PM »
A new part, assuming you can get one, will probably exceed the value of the car. A new power steering motor is almost £700. Best option, if you need to replace it, would be a part from a breakers. Something like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-RACK-ECU-2002-2007-TESTED/222980871349?hash=item33eab214b5:g:2pcAAOSw6VNa~Da~
Have you driven another Jazz, to compare? My steering in not particularly light, and tends to be a little notchy at motorway speed, but it is just the way the Mk 1 Jazz was.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:31:09 PM by Jocko »

Vigman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »
Thanks again. No I haven't driven a similar age model. The Honda test engineer didn't comment but my independent garage thought it a bit stiff.

I've heard this can be how this model drives and especially noticeable after a very light Renault PS.

I paid top price for this car because of mileage and service history so don't want a major repair outlay!

Out of interest what are the symptoms of a steering motor failing?

Vigman

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
If you get the car on a suitable and safe bit of road, where you can coast and switch the ignition off, you will see the difference (if there is a difference). Whatever you do though, don't take the key out, or the steering lock will engage.
I tried engine off coasting with my car, and found that at higher speeds there was not a lot of difference, but at low speeds, such as you would use when parking, the steering is horrendously heavy.
Try another Mk 1 Jazz and see how it feels. Search Auto Trader for a nearby trader selling one, and try a test drive. The Jazz power steering is not particularly light, in my experience.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9447.30

Have a look at this thread,  all the problems with steering were caused by a dodgy battery - do you know if and when the battery on your car was replaced - if not I suggest you get a decent new battery.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 05:04:03 AM »
Check the battery as culzean has suggested.  I normally witness intermittent loss of power steering at parking manoeuvering  speeds when my battery approaches 4 years of age.

The Jazz steering is heavier than other small cars I've driven.  Certainly can't turn steering with a finger when stationary.

Tyres make a difference too.  When I ran Uniroyal Rallye 550 185/55R15 profile tyres, the ride was softer but the steering was heavier at all speeds.  With the current Avon ZV7 tyres on the car, the steering became lighter but the ride quality suffered reminding me of the factory fitted Bridgestone tyres.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:05:39 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »
The  Jazz steering has never been super-light like a lot of hydraulic systems can be,  but IMHO is nicely weighted and not 'twitchy'.  The GD was a testbed for electric power steering in high volume cars and Honda were at the forefront of the technology ( The first electric power steering systems on any vehicle appeared on the Honda NSX in 1990, the Honda S2000 in 1999, In 2000, Honda launched the S2000 Type V equipped with the world's first electric power variable gear ratio steering (VGS) system ) - because they were first Honda did have a few teething issues, mainly with self-centreing from tight turns - people were used to cars having very strong self-centreing on hydraulic systems - but remember the Jazz does have a very small turning circle..  The power steering motor draws some serious current from battery and an ageing battery loses its ability to supply current as well as receive it (the internal resistance of battery gets larger).

EPS ( or sometimes called EPAS) cuts fuel consumption because it does not use the constantly running hydraulic pump driven by auxiliary drive belt, and only draws power when it is required  Main problem is that because it draws power from the vehicle battery the amount of assistance provided is not as great as hydraulic systems because even a 500 watts motor will need 40 amps at 12 volts.   This current means that a dodgy battery will cause problems (and people never think that the battery can affect steering).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:01:55 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Vigman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »
Thanks again everyone

Thinking it through, it was only a few weeks ago a Honda technical manager drove the car to test the juddering clutch issue and made no comment on the steering. Nor did the Honda Health Check pick that up.

I've only done 500 miles in it, mostly low speed on the Isle of Wight! When I drove down I was surprised at how stiff the wheel was at 70mph though.

There is no intermittent issue.

The Scenic Megane was very light especially after I fitted a new (from scrapped car) power steering system. I've just got to get used to the stiffer wheel. 

However, I drove it in the dark for the first time a couple of days ago and noticed the headlights dim slightly when I braked so I think a new battery will be a good move anyway

By the way, I don't always ask problems in forums, when I know the car better I may hope to have solutions!

Vigman

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »
Yuasa HSB154, £89 from Halfords, but you may get it cheaper elsewhere.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »
The problems I was having with stiff notchy steering, noticeably worse once the car had driven 10 miles or so, went away when I replaced the tatty steering wheel for a nice nearly new one. The only thing I could think of at the time that may have had any effect on the rack was the upwards thumping of the wheel to release the splines, and hence the upwards shock of the steering column shaft.

Something certainly had an unexpected effect. It is still fixed, and the steering is fine - as vague and lifeless as any other Jazz, but still no notchiness whatsoever.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 08:05:20 AM »
The problems I was having with stiff notchy steering, noticeably worse once the car had driven 10 miles or so, went away when I replaced the tatty steering wheel for a nice nearly new one. The only thing I could think of at the time that may have had any effect on the rack was the upwards thumping of the wheel to release the splines, and hence the upwards shock of the steering column shaft.

Something certainly had an unexpected effect. It is still fixed, and the steering is fine - as vague and lifeless as any other Jazz, but still no notchiness whatsoever.

Is it possible the stickiness may be in the steering column bushes rather than the rack itself ?

Vigman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
Yuasa HSB154, £89 from Halfords, but you may get it cheaper elsewhere.

My independent didn't have that code in his listings so may well be a code specific to Halfords?

His codes started with YBS?

TIA

Vigman

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »

Tags:

anything