Author Topic: New owner, is it worth getting the service plan and Hondacare package  (Read 7860 times)

guest7642

Re: New owner, is it worth getting the service plan and Hondacare package
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 10:55:08 PM »
Cheaper to buy a rubber stamp for the service book.  I am sceptical about FSH even from Honda - we have bought 2 to 3 year old cars from Honda with full dealer service history and found rusty oil filters and black air and cabin filters - hopefully they did change the engine oil but oil filter looked original due to amount of rust on the outside,  I have never seen a rusty oil filter when I change ours every 12 months,  and air and cabin filters take more than 12 months to get in that state. Even plugs only need changing every 70,000 miles now.

IMHO Service history is a bit of blackmail really by dealers, I would check the work that they supposedly do when car comes back from a service (it is easy enough to check air and cabin filters and look at the dipstick to make sure oil is clean).

Yes I have had to do this too with a different marque.  You can be quite cunning placing tape to seal filter boxes etc.  I have never seen oil or oil filter skipped though - that would make me livid.  It really is down to the dealer.  I have a friend who asks for every component that has been removed from the car for any service or fix.  Apparently that way it is easier for them to just do the job they are supposed to.

My px has been service by me for the last 5 yrs.  I have included all the dated invoices from motor factors that show what I bought and when they were changed.  The dealer seemed to think this was fairly worthless and it was recorded as no history.  As someone said above might have been better to buy a stamp!

I do intermediate oil changes myself anyway (synthetic oil is cheap so why not)

Anyway thanks for the comments.  I do want the 5 stamps and it sounds like this is the cheapest way to get them.

Tim

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 10:59:51 PM »
I think what the above thread shows is that dealers have a lot of discretion in terms of what they offer and what's included. I've got an odd deal with my dealership. I've taken finance out to buy my current car because it includes 2 free services. I had to do some maths on this one and it soon became clear that the interest payments on the finance would far exceed the value of the 2 services. However, under the deal I signed up to, the service plan is issued after the 4th payment. At that point I can settle the finance in full. The charges (interest and early redemption) come to £225 after 4 months - the services are worth about £500.

Hmmm...that sounds a bit of a scam - normally you can Withdraw (so no cost) from finance and still keep any incentives. Did it on a VW recently, although the service part of the deal cost £149 so I knew there was no problem with that.  I only took the finance to get the £2750 deposit contribution.  Got £500 on our 2014 Jazz but I kept that PCP going as it was 0%.

Having said that I do recall Toyota had a deal where they issued service vouchers annually but only if the PCP was still running, so maybe it a regular thing.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 11:10:30 PM »
Cheaper to buy a rubber stamp for the service book.  I am sceptical about FSH even from Honda -

I've certainly become disenchanted with the dealer we use, highlighted by the recent issue on daughters 2014 car with a brake calliper seizing and the dealer not noticing, even when asked to investigate.  Off the top of may head that's the 4th issue I've had with them.

I guess in some ways they can't win - we hate dealers for calling for new discs and pads too early, but it's a bit poor that the health check they do is just a walk around the car on ground.

I also felt like we were a bit stuffed by the 5 year warranty on the car and I felt obliged to take it to the dealer, partly because if the calliper itself had been faulty the warranty would have picked up the bill.  As it happened the dealer said it just needed the calliper cleaning and new discs and pads as one of the pads had worn down.  It would have been far cheaper to get it done elsewhere.   

It would also have been better if the brakes had been serviced but garages generally don't do that now, although Hondas do seem to have issues with callipers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
although Hondas do seem to have issues with callipers.

I don't think Honda have more of a problem with calipers than other manufacturers.

Rear disc brakes seem to have a problem on most vehicles,  IMHO they are a thoroughly bad
idea as the rear brakes (especially with alloy wheels) catch a lot of cr4p thrown up by
front wheels, drum brakes are sealed better than disc brakes. 

Steel wheels seem to protect discs and calipers better than alloys as there are less gaps in
steels to let gunk through.  My rear brakes and discs are in much better shape after using
steel wheels (with winters fitted) throughout the winter than they used to be with alloys.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
I think it is but, with my previous Jazz I bought a service package and that included breakdown cover even after the warranty expired.

The dealers can include complimentary roadside assistance with each service - but I've found you have to ask for it.  Son-in-law, who has one of our old Jazz's, was caught out as he didn't ask, car had a flat battery and when he called they denied him assistance.   I'd be outraged, but he's one of these people that doesn't think about money - he just called the AA and gave them £200!

Note that the coverage is a bit more limited than the full package - I haven't analysed it in detail, but it's UK only, for instance.

http://www.honda.co.uk/content/honda/en_gb/cars/owners/breakdown-assistance/_jcr_content/par1/richtextcolumn_988c/par/richtextdownload_26d/file.res/Complimentary-Roadside-Assistance-Honda-Full-Terms.pdf

This my experience too. My wife's 2008 Mk1 has Honda Assistance cover because I have it serviced at Honda Vertu, but I have to ask each year and receive a letter of confirmation.

guest7642

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
 :'(

Oh well, I have just been informed that this offer should not have been mentioned as I am buying a prereg car...

I can have exactly the same package but it will be £895 i.e. 50% more.  Frustrating seeing as this is an 18 plate car but such is the world of dealer incentives and discounting I guess.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
If it's a prereg car then it is a "used" car and I hope your not paying the full book price.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »
My experience of the Service Plan was oil changed, filters changed and when I took over at end of 5 years and started DIY, the pollen filter was new.
Holdcroft of Stoke on Trent deserve top marks - very good service..

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 03:36:05 PM »
I think while on the face of it the deal is a good one, ensure that the dealer tells you exactly what you are entitled to. I bought a 4 yr old Jazz with a 2 yr extension to the warranty. Although the brakes were rectified they claimed it was good will when my argument was they should have been right prior to sale.
Also rust appeared within 3 mths and their answer was you can buy  a touch up pen.
You are starting with  a new vehicle BUT Honda give a 3 yr warranty anyway, so it appears you are being charged twice. My deal did include AA and free MOT's while the vehicle was serviced by them.
So make sure you know what they are including etc. It's too late after the event. So dealers are  by all account excellent others iffey.
Unfortunately we a can offer allsorts of advice and quote experiences but you are the person that is parting with the cash.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 06:43:47 PM »
We are talking about a service plan here?  If so this is described in detail here http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/fixed-price-service-plan.html

Warranty covers totally different scenarios.

For example when I had an issue with my two year old CR-V, the center differential broke.  It was covered under the warranty but nothing to do with the service plan that I had.  The fact it was under warranty saved me some £2k.  Had it have been four years old then I would have had to pay every penny.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
I think what the above thread shows is that dealers have a lot of discretion in terms of what they offer and what's included. I've got an odd deal with my dealership. I've taken finance out to buy my current car because it includes 2 free services. I had to do some maths on this one and it soon became clear that the interest payments on the finance would far exceed the value of the 2 services. However, under the deal I signed up to, the service plan is issued after the 4th payment. At that point I can settle the finance in full. The charges (interest and early redemption) come to £225 after 4 months - the services are worth about £500.

Hmmm...that sounds a bit of a scam - normally you can Withdraw (so no cost) from finance and still keep any incentives. Did it on a VW recently, although the service part of the deal cost £149 so I knew there was no problem with that.  I only took the finance to get the £2750 deposit contribution.  Got £500 on our 2014 Jazz but I kept that PCP going as it was 0%.

Having said that I do recall Toyota had a deal where they issued service vouchers annually but only if the PCP was still running, so maybe it a regular thing.

See what you mean - might look into it a bit further. The finance I have is HP.

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »

Holdcroft taking over the franchise in the Chester area is the reason why I don't see our relationship with Honda continuing. 

Off the top of my head I can think of five customer service issues we've had and they haven't been there all that long.  Only had one problem in all the years we dealt with TwoMills and they seemed mortified they'd messed up and more than compensated for it by doing the next service FOC.   Holdcroft don't seem to care less - it's very noticeable how there are less Hondas around here than there used to be.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 11:25:43 PM »

Holdcroft taking over the franchise in the Chester area is the reason why I don't see our relationship with Honda continuing. 

Off the top of my head I can think of five customer service issues we've had and they haven't been there all that long.  Only had one problem in all the years we dealt with TwoMills and they seemed mortified they'd messed up and more than compensated for it by doing the next service FOC.   Holdcroft don't seem to care less - it's very noticeable how there are less Hondas around here than there used to be.

We bought our first Jazz from Holdcroft. A Honda approved Mk1 with 27k on the clock. It was due to have an annual service so this was to be done as part of the purchase package. I went to pick it up and was told the service was all done. Then I asked where the locking wheel nut socket was. It took them three hours to find it. Hmmm. Made me wonder about the service but they assured me it had been done, wheels off.

2000 miles later it had a health check at my local Honda dealer when it was in for some reason. They reported front pads down to the metal and discs needed replacing!

Pretty much confirmed my suspicions about the "service" it didn't have before I took delivery.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:23 AM »
We bought our first Jazz from Holdcroft. A Honda approved Mk1 with 27k on the clock. It was due to have an annual service so this was to be done as part of the purchase package. I went to pick it up and was told the service was all done. Then I asked where the locking wheel nut socket was. It took them three hours to find it. Hmmm. Made me wonder about the service but they assured me it had been done, wheels off.

2000 miles later it had a health check at my local Honda dealer when it was in for some reason. They reported front pads down to the metal and discs needed replacing!

Pretty much confirmed my suspicions about the "service" it didn't have before I took delivery.

It is cheaper for dealer to skip the 'service' and then deal with the limited number of people who complain, unfortunately that is the mindset of dealers who care more for their bottom line than for their customers.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 08:08:46 AM »
The only downside is that they try to get you in early so in essence the plan is shorter. I'm currently 3 months early because it's progressively been brought forward. And you do also get a discounted mot by taking out the plan

Tags: