Author Topic: Clutch Spring / release bearing: wear or tear / extended warranty  (Read 2739 times)

Stripey Horse

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Honda Jazz 2015
Issue: noise coming from front of car when driving from first gear, this is intermittent, at times it is ok and other times no noise.

Car was serviced recently at the Honda dealership where they checked and informed the noise is clutch springs or release bearing underloaded.  No action was taken by Honda, they said to keep monitoring the situation.

I do have Honda extended warranty with the car which is due to expire less than 12 days and Honda has informed they will not repair this under the warranty due to this being a wear and tear.

So would like to have your opinions if this issue with the clutch spring / release bearing is to be considered as wear and tear or is covered via the Honda extended warranty.

Honda dealership have advised the cost to repair the clutch: clutch kit total amount of £1,015.40 (labour £528.00 and clutch kit £309.25, gearbox oil £8.92 + VAT to be added)

Thanks in advance

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: Clutch Spring / release bearing: wear or tear / extended warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 10:57:23 AM »
Get quote from an independant?

Stripey Horse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 11:01:24 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

This i will look into but would have thought given there is an issue with the car, this would have been repaired under warranty.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 02:17:39 PM »
The warranty will have a wording. The detail will contained in the policy. If you link the PDF, be happy to have a read for you.

IMHO a noisy release bearing is a failure and should be covered. Brakes linings, tyres, etc are wear and tear. Again, the policy is what you need to read for a definite answer. Perhaps go back to the dealer, or call them, and ask that they tell you where it clearly states failed bearing is not covered?

How many miles has your car done?

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 04:06:14 PM »
This sounds like the problem I have had on a number of Hondas - one Civic and 2 honda Jazz's. The sound is like a high pitch whining sound as you hold the clutch momentarily on the biting point. It only seems to ever happen on Honda's for some reason, I've never had it on all my other cars. I believe the sound is coming from the clutch release bearing. On my civic, Honda replaced the clutch including the clutch release bearing under warranty but that was a long time ago now (~12-14yrs ago?) but the problem came back again and they wouldn't do it again. So I just had to live with it. It doesn't affect the drive but is very annoying at times.

I think it is caused by holding the clutch pedal down too much when it is in gear (i.e. 1st gear) which wears down the bearing. But this shouldn't be the driver's fault, it's a design fault imo.

Stripey Horse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 11:45:19 AM »
Dear all,

Many thanks for your comments.

@Westy36: have attached a copy of the Honda Extended Policy and thank you for your time to review the policy.

The Honda jazz is with 44479 miles, low milage around 4,000 miles per year since we purchased the car from the Honda dealer in Feb 2021 and since then we had the transmission mount and the start / stop switch replaced under the Honda extended guarantee.

Our previous car was also a Honda Jazz mark one and rarely had any problems and with the current car rather disappointment with the issues we are having but despite this I still love the car.

Driving this with noise is rather annoying and not sure if I can live with it. 

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 02:17:49 PM »
I do have Honda extended warranty with the car which is due to expire less than 12 days and Honda has informed they will not repair this under the warranty due to this being a wear and tear.

Nope. Your car has <45k on the clock, I would not consider that a lot of miles. If the bearing has failed, I would highlight all the other bearings the car has that are still in perfect working condiion! Wheel bearings, bearings in the various moving parts such as alternator, wiper motors, window motors etc etc. Therefore it is component failure and the release bearing is not listed as an excluded item. That's not Wear and Tear as set out in Part 2.6.

The warranty is a white label product underwritten by London General Insurance if my research is correct. Have a google of the address and see what comes up! Honda have nothing to lose themselves by getting this claim paid. Ask the aftersales manager for evidence the warranty claim has been declined. If he can't, call them yourself.

Complaints procedure is in the policy

"If you do not obtain satisfaction from Your Authorised Honda Dealer in regard to this Honda Extended Guarantee
you can contact Honda Administration at:
Honda Servicing Customer Relations Department,
The Aspen Building (Floor 2),
Vantage Point Business Village,
Mitcheldean,
Gloucestershire
GL17 0AF
Telephone: 0330 100 3406 (Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm) or
Email - customer.relations@assurant.com.

A friendly but firm approach will work. Refer further up the tree if you can.

The fact your policy is due to expire is of no concern. The component failure occured within the warranty period.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 02:26:08 PM »
You need to put your request in writing , don't rely on an email. Take you  letter to the Honda dealership in person ask them to put it right. Good luck keep pressing.

Stripey Horse

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 03:29:56 PM »
Dear all,

Many thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

Will keep on pushing Honda dealership to resolve this asap. 

Tags:

anything