Author Topic: Keyless Remote Signal Strength indicator on 2016 EX Navi manual car  (Read 1666 times)

FredS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 jazz EX Navi manual
Has anyone else had the keyless access system indicator appear on the dash board?

It appears on a random basis and does not seem to be influenced by temperature. It makes no difference which of the two fobs is used. I have replaced the batteries in both fobs. The batteries replaced measured 2.9 6 and 2.97 volts, the new batteries both measured 3.28 volts.

The car has done 28K and runs exactly as it has always done. It still has the original 7year old battery and starts without hesitation.

I have no idea on how this system works. The owners manual (page 98) states the indicator comes on as soon as a problem is detected in the keyless access system or keyless starting system, if it stays on constantly or does not come on at all have your vehicle checked by a dealer.

I do not recall any previous posts on the forum about this and would greatly appreciate any help, guidance or information.

FredS

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
Re: Keyless Remote Signal Strength indicator on 2016 EX Navi manual car
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 02:40:53 PM »
I think if you're mobile phone is relatively close it may cause this type of issue.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 03:05:13 PM »
It may be more than likely that you have an issue with the keyless receiver, which is in the Start/Stop switch. It would most likely need to be diagnosed by a dealer with a suitable scan/diagnostic device.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 10:50:17 PM by Steve_M »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 03:25:56 PM »
I think if you're mobile phone is relatively close it may cause this type of issue.
Yep, it happens especially if the mobile has the NFC feature activated. Or if you keep your fob in the same pocket containing your wallet with some contactless cards inside.

FredS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 jazz EX Navi manual
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 09:58:44 PM »
Thank you for your replies.

On further investigation on the fitfreak forum and you tube there is a known fault on the keyless starter switch/button on the majority of Honda models from around 2013 to 2017. Apparently the fault can be fixed by cleaning the contacts in the starter switch/button.

Honda in America issued technical service bulletin 20-098 for the Fit giving the replacement of part number 35881-T5A-J02 with part number 35881-T5A-J03. They also extended the warrantee to 9 years. I do not know if this technical service bulletin applies in the UK.

On contacting a Honda spares department I was told part number 35881-T5A-J03 comprises of a starter switch and a module, are not sold separately and cost over £420 cannot remember if that included vat or not. There are numerous non-Honda starter switch/buttons available on E-bay in the £30 to £50 price range

On you tube there are numerous videos showing how to remove and clean the contacts on the starter switch/button on most of the Honda range including the Fit.

Taking the starter switch/button apart and cleaning the contacts is relatively easy and does not take long. The difficult, time consuming and nerve racking part is getting access to remove the starter button. You have to remove the bezel around the instrument cluster, a small part of the dashboard containing the air vents above the radio, the trim below the heating ventilation controls to allow the radio and other trim to be moved out of the way to remove the starter button. All of these are held in place with strong plastic clips which need lots of effort to remove and sound as if they going to snap. Reassembly is fairly straight forward.

I did this about 10 days ago and have not had the keyless warning light appear so cleaning the contacts has, so far fixed the fault.

I hope I have explained this clearly and not rambled on to much. If anyone wants and clarification please let me know.

Kind regards

FredS

Tags: