Author Topic: Help! Cruise Control how to switch to Adaptive?  (Read 4604 times)

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
Re: Help! Cruise Control how to switch to Adaptive?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »
The Fit's adaptive cruise control system uses a radar unit located behind the grille, as well as a camera on the windscreen I don’t think the uk Jazz has the radar unit fitted

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »
I remember the last owner said he was an engineer!

Is it possible Honda were planning to put ACC in the MK3, but later decided against it probably to make people buy the more expensive Civic. So disabled it in the software?

But the software needs the controls on the steering wheel, not just the sensors. Maybe the previous owner did rig something up, but I would somehow be surprised, especially if it involved hacking the Infotainment unit or the Info screen to produce the lines you saw.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »
The car definitely does not have Adaptive Cruise Control.  What you saw was the setup for the Forward Collision Warning system which can be set for three different distances as per the manual page 132.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 02:25:09 PM »
The car definitely does not have Adaptive Cruise Control.  What you saw was the setup for the Forward Collision Warning system which can be set for three different distances as per the manual page 132.

That doesn't fit with what nomnom said earlier "I am sure when I bought it driving home I could see the distance lines for the cruise control lines image. Then I pressed something and it said normal cruise control selected."

And the Forward Collision Warning setting screens look like the attached. Its a mystery!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 02:29:27 PM »
A mystery indeed.  Does the VIN give any clues?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »
Also this website says the Jazz 2018 CVT and diesel has adaptive cruise control. Not mentioned about 2016 model. Maybe the 2016 CVT has ACC?

https://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-advice/reviews/2018-honda-jazz-review-5-things-to-know/30756/
This is a review of cars in India.  There is no UK Diesel Jazz.  I should think adaptive cruise control would have a nervous breakdown in Indian traffic, which seems to go in all directions at the same time!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:53:51 PM by Downsizer »

nomnom

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2016 CVT SE
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
I wasn't using the cruise control when this happened. I was just playing around with the buttons as I literally just bought it and was driving home figuring out what everything does.

I think ColinS you are right those lines were probably the forward collision warning. When it said cruise control on or off whatever it said that was when I must have pressed the Main button for cruise control.

This is the only thing that disappoints me about the car I thought it had ACC. Other than that it's a fantastic car and I would have still bought it. The plan is to keep this as my last reliable petrol car for about 5 years and then switch to the hybrid Jazz which will be the MK4. Hopefully that will come with ACC!

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 09:14:59 PM »
Just a thought, it's not the Lane Departure Warning that showed the lines?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 09:18:20 PM »
I've always assumed that earlier Mk3 Jazzes did not have adaptive cruise. On reading this thread I decided to ask the old boy across the road who has a late 2017 EX Navi - he always buys the top spec car and he is clear that his car does not have ACC.

I think ACC is a great idea and would love it on my next car. Where I live, the roads, including the motorways, are so busy that ordinary CC is more or less redundant. I always like it on a car for the odd long journey purely to give my right leg a rest.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 08:54:49 PM »
Been using a hire car with adaptive cruise control and it's great in a number of scenarios, e.g. 50mph speed limit, set it at 50 and if someone slows down so do you, and when they accelerate so do you, up to the limit you've set. And if they stop for a traffic light etc, so do you. It's been on an automatic, and this is the best version of it, just need to trust the system, and keep your foot somewhere near to the brake / accelerator pedal as appropriate,.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 04:33:18 PM »
My RAV4 has ACC. I was quite insistent that I had it to the point of refusing a car the dealer found and had brought to his dealership for me, because it did not have it, despite them thinking it did. I ended up getting one which had been a Toyota Fleet Car for 12,000 miles.

Well, I hardly use it. Why? Takes all the interest out of driving and makes me lose attention. It is absolutely useful in restricted lane average speed limit roadworks and things like that, but in the normal commute and drives of les than an hour, I rarely switch it on.

Funny that! Was convinced it would be a great feature. When combined with lane departure warning and collision detection, you are almost in auto pilot. But because the car is not fully autonomous you need to stay alert, and long stretches of doing nothing but steer make for a dull journey.

Another weird feature of ACC is when you 'lock on' to the car ahead and for whatever reason that car slows down over time and eventually you realise you are doing 50 in a 60 or similar. Then you have to take control in order to overtake, as the ACC does not really respond quickly enough on the accelerator when you move out to overtake. Then you are in manual for a bit until either the road ahead is clear or you feel you are in a good traffic flow, then you re-engage ACC.

In the end, it's more trouble than it is worth, for me.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
Richard you have hit the nail on the head about 'driver aids' they lead to distracted / bored drivers, I feel much more alert and alive riding my motorbike than I do driving a fug-box and as well as the sheer performance the main thing is you are very vulnerable on a bike sharing the roads with metal boxes controlled by distracted and inattentive drivers. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I have used cruise control on my wifes Jazz in UK.  Used it more in places like USA and Australia on their straight roads uncluttered with traffic.  My brother had adaptive CC on his Suzuki Grand Vitara and tried it, but after initial novelty wore off, guess what....not used now.  He has a pre-flight routine in his Vitara which involves turning every auto aid fitted to his car that can be turned off...OFF...

Personally I would replace all the safety devices in modern cars ( which lead to drivers feeling invulnerable and taking risks ) with a metal spike in centre of steering wheel to help focus drivers attention....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:46:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 05:53:26 PM »
a metal spike in centre of steering wheel to help focus drivers attention....
It didn't work back when all cars were fitted with that metal spike (the solid steering column). Only way to stop drivers getting bored, distracted, and inattentive is to get rid of the driver.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 09:13:37 PM »
My RAV4 has ACC. I was quite insistent that I had it to the point of refusing a car the dealer found and had brought to his dealership for me, because it did not have it, despite them thinking it did. I ended up getting one which had been a Toyota Fleet Car for 12,000 miles.

Well, I hardly use it. Why? Takes all the interest out of driving and makes me lose attention. It is absolutely useful in restricted lane average speed limit roadworks and things like that, but in the normal commute and drives of les than an hour, I rarely switch it on.

Funny that! Was convinced it would be a great feature. When combined with lane departure warning and collision detection, you are almost in auto pilot. But because the car is not fully autonomous you need to stay alert, and long stretches of doing nothing but steer make for a dull journey.

Another weird feature of ACC is when you 'lock on' to the car ahead and for whatever reason that car slows down over time and eventually you realise you are doing 50 in a 60 or similar. Then you have to take control in order to overtake, as the ACC does not really respond quickly enough on the accelerator when you move out to overtake. Then you are in manual for a bit until either the road ahead is clear or you feel you are in a good traffic flow, then you re-engage ACC.

In the end, it's more trouble than it is worth, for me.

Interesting "real world" experience Richard. Makes me think. That said, the motorways round our way are pretty busy most of the time and I thought it would be useful when I am not in the "BMW" lane!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2019, 10:12:41 PM »
a metal spike in centre of steering wheel to help focus drivers attention....
It didn't work back when all cars were fitted with that metal spike (the solid steering column). Only way to stop drivers getting bored, distracted, and inattentive is to get rid of the driver.

Alternatively ( seeing as we are going to have to wait a long, long time for driverless cars - if they ever happen ) is to make the punishment for being bored, distracted and inattentive and causing an accident a lot harsher - if you kill someone with a vehicle you may get fined or a ban, or a short sentence - kill them any other way and you can expect 10 to 30 years,  a vehicle is a lethal weapon and it is about time the law reflected that.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: