Author Topic: Sudden drop in MPG.  (Read 5477 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Sudden drop in MPG.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »
I just did a cold start two mile jaunt, through town, with a couple of intermediate stops, and the ScanGauge (pretty close to calculated values) says 36 mpg for today so far. So I guess if that was your usual driving then mid 30's is perfectly acceptable.

That's what a lot, not all, but a lot of my driving consists of. Short stop/start stuff kills mpg.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 07:01:02 PM »
After another couple of cold starts (blue light on for a spell), but a couple of longer runs, my days mileage finished at 23 and ScanGauge figure was 57.5 mpg (last top up ScanGauge said 60.5 mpg for the tankful, and calculated figure was 61.9 mpg).

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »
7 year average Fuelly just over 42mpg..

Drive up local hill on road outside house to top - 2 miles - from cold and average 23mpg...

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 04:19:18 PM »
My wife's 16 plate Jazz 1.3 CVT has done 30,000 miles. It's used by both of us, mainly her, for short journey local driving plus a once-per-week 70 mile round trip on A & B roads. It's currently indicating 51.8 MPG. In the winter we get around 48 MPG. Careful driving style and not exceeding the speed limits.

Sidot - something wrong there....!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »
Alan. That is pretty much the same as my normal journey mileages.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 12:06:23 PM »
Its not going to change my life, whether I get 40 or 60 to a gallon; but some folks have an xbox, 'n I have a fuel gauge!

The way that I check my usage, is not as exacting as some on here, but it suits me fine, and is a good "gauge".

At some time in the distant past, I made a note of the mileage, on the back of a cornflake packet flap, when my fuel was showing 3 notches. Then I put in 22.73 litres, which as we all know, is 5 gallons, in real money! ::) As time goes by
I watch out for the 3 bars on my fruit machine, and write the mileage down,(not whilst driving heaven forbid)! I then do a mental calculation, and hopefully arrive at 275 miles, from my last reading. So that 22.73 has got me 55mpg, or in reality from the posts on here, 50 mpg. Using this method, I can "fill up" on 2, 3, or 4 bars, as long as I religiously log my  3 bar mileage. I am also aware that it sits on 3 bars for about 12 miles, so I take a mental average.

I posted on this thread "Sudden drop in mpg" to show, (as if we didn't know)! my experience.

A month ago, when I went on holiday, I loaned my daughter the car..... I know!
Regular short trips, cold starts, excessive carpet wear under the accelerator pedal;  I suppose that the Atkinson Cycle
never came into operation, ha ha.

180 miles it took her, or a true reading of about 32mpg. Same car, different driver, different useage. (I do 40 mile trips).

The car is a 16 plate 1.3 auto, and a really useful tool to have. I posted this to show how a drivers input to the use and type of driving, affects the efficiency.     Just my thoughts...have a good day. 

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
A month ago, when I went on holiday, I loaned my daughter the car..... I know!
Regular short trips, cold starts, excessive carpet wear under the accelerator pedal;  I suppose that the Atkinson Cycle
never came into operation, ha ha.

180 miles it took her, or a true reading of about 32mpg. Same car, different driver, different useage. (I do 40 mile trips).

The car is a 16 plate 1.3 auto, and a really useful tool to have. I posted this to show how a drivers input to the use and type of driving, affects the efficiency.     Just my thoughts...have a good day.
Short trips is a killer for the mpg albeit much worse during winter than in summer. Another probable factor is the vehicle being driven with right foot hard on one of the two pedals - keep accelerating until it's absolutely necessary to brake. None of that gentle coasting which minimises the waste of energy as explained well by Jocko here https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11318.0.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »
I think Jocko also recommends looking at the display that gives an instant readout of mpg. I have tried this in the past but gave it another go today. Steady 30 mph - 90+ mpg. Every press of the accelerator shows how that 90 mpg soon become 20 mpg under hard acceleration. Lifting off the accelerator is quite gratifying as you see your mpg go off the scale.

Don't pay too much attention though! You need to be looking at the road ahead.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 08:09:02 PM »
You soon get to know what works and what doesn't and then your fixation with the display goes away.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 09:00:14 PM »
Don't pay too much attention though! You need to be looking at the road ahead.

It's a bit like average speed cameras - I can't imagine drivers checking their speedo for the magic 50 every few seconds conducive to good road safety.

Jadze

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz EX Navi 1.3 CVT
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 02:56:19 PM »
Hi,

I just bought Jazz 2016 cvt 16K odo. Driving mostly ( lets say 75%) in the city, on W. Yorkshire hills, a bit motorway. No matter how hard I try and slow accelerate and etc, my average mpg is only 34 mpg. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OxIpVLHX1BNQMQhlSz5Sg8gxeYEwB0-e
Just wonder what's wrong with my car...  ::)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »
Hi,

I just bought Jazz 2016 cvt 16K odo. Driving mostly ( lets say 75%) in the city, on W. Yorkshire hills, a bit motorway. No matter how hard I try and slow accelerate and etc, my average mpg is only 34 mpg. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OxIpVLHX1BNQMQhlSz5Sg8gxeYEwB0-e

Afraid hills mess up the stats.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 03:10:33 PM »
Hi,

This doesn't help you much, but that doesn't seem right. I have the same car and my avg is 46.2 mpg over nearly 49,000 tracked miles, winter, summer, roof boxes, bikes on roof etc . See Fuelly screenshot below. I don't do as much as 75% motorway city but do a lot of motorway.

Some people here are what I call hypermilers and achieve much better than me by taking great care over driving technique and speed. I don't.

EDIT I guess 75% city and 25% hills could be a big hit relative to my 46.2. Still a bit surprised.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:19:55 PM by mikebore »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
What is the display in the car showing?  130 miles is rather a short distance for averaging consumption, especially if made up of several short journeys where the engine is not warmed up.

Jadze

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz EX Navi 1.3 CVT
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »
Hi,

This doesn't help you much, but that doesn't seem right. I have the same car and my avg is 46.2 mpg over nearly 49,000 tracked miles, winter, summer, roof boxes, bikes on roof etc . See Fuelly screenshot below. I don't do as much as 75% motorway but do a lot of motorway.

Some people here are what I call hypermilers and achieve much better than me by taking great care over driving technique and speed. I don't.
Yeah... plus on CVT Drive mode sometimes on steep hill if I fully flor gas pedal, nothing happens, its like 5%-10% more acceleration only. Sport mode all good, car revs like crazy and jumps forward. But I can only imagine what would be my mpg if I drive on  S sport mode. This stats its driving in slow like a turtle "D" mode...

Tags:

anything