Author Topic: Anyone taken there Mk3 over to Europe?  (Read 1217 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Anyone taken there Mk3 over to Europe?
« on: June 29, 2019, 05:11:50 PM »
Im thinking about it. I haven't planned it properly but I'm thinking Switzerland Italy and maybe Spain. Seems a lot but ill see how it plans out and adjust accordingly. Just an open ended question as I've never taken a car to "Europe" - any experience, tips? and with the 1.3 engine? Go over on Shuttle? And then 3 days in each with 1 day driving between approx.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Anyone taken there Mk3 over to Europe?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »
Should be a dawdle. I had a mate used to drive his 20 year old Volvo estate from Greenock to Prague about once every six weeks. Him and four mates used to go there for a booze up!

Mr 8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport Navi
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 07:28:26 AM »
I have just got back from two weeks in France. We stayed in Haut Garonne- it is the bit between Toulouse and the Pyrenees. 1800 miles completed without a problem in our Sport. Things to consider for someone driving abroad for the first time, perhaps some of the less obvious. Motorway tolls. If you use them, the amounts can add up. We spent about fifty euros, mostly the section between Nantes and Bordeaux. Check your insurance: do you have the same level of cover in Europe as you do in the UK? Respect local speed limits, fines are now following drivers back to the UK. Have the correct bits and pieces in the car: eg have hi-viz jackets in the car, not in the boot. Overall, driving in Europe is pretty straightforward and a satnav is very useful for routing and finding destinations (obviously!)
Be realistic about distances: ‘Switzerland, Italy and maybe Spain’ covers an awfully big area. We spent three weeks a couple of years ago touring Spain alone and only scratched the surface. There are a lot of websites written by people who have done similar road trips, have a read of some and make a note of what seems sensible. Last word: spend more time seeing and experiencing than driving.

PS I forgot to mention air certificates. Each country has, or is in the process of, requiring carowners to obtain one of these for your windscreen. It shows whether your car is EU4, 5 or 6. Older cars are in for sizeable fees/fines in order to enter specific cities or even areas. It needs researching carefully. On another car forum someone entering Antwerp due to a diversion without a certificate cost35 euros.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:01:44 PM by Mr 8 »

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 02:51:46 PM »
We drive to northern Italy at least once a year. If you are in the North the Hull ferry gets you there easily for an early start. It also gives you more options of route.

We have the Crit Air certificate on the car for France. Apply for it from the official site, very inexpensive. If you are going on Swiss motorways get the Swiss Pass before you go in the UK otherwise you can buy it at a bar on the border. There are Utube videos on how to attach the pass and even more important how to get it off. Depending on route you may find it is more economical to have this than pay tolls to go through tunnels like Frejus.

If you are travelling on French motorways worth getting the 'bipngo' so you too can use the telepayage lanes. It transforms the french motorway experience gliding through at 30kph rather than queuing to pay.

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk

Do check on what you need to carry in the car. It is probably a minimum of a bulb kit, hivis jackets and a warning triangle. Some countries want a first aid kit. Sometimes free parking areas require blue discs if you can take a UK one that is a help.

Tags: